Why become a member? ×

Ambient In-Ear Mix on a budget. Zoom H2n recorder and In-Ear Monitors

Dood

12 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Thank you both. I've tried it in the practice room with everything turned up to 11. it really works and you don't feel cut off from the room. Rehearsals next.

EXCELLENT! 

Exactly my intention - video 2 is even better and I've worked with pro musicians who have said this has been a revelation! Drummers seem to love it the most, especially if you are monitoring in stereo.

On 17/01/2019 at 18:19, Phil Starr said:

Thank you both. I've tried it in the practice room with everything turned up to 11. it really works and you don't feel cut off from the room. Rehearsals next.

Yes! Awesome! It was totally my intention! For really loud environments, I've upgraded to the H4n Pro which can handle 140 dB. The H5 and H6 can both take the clip on 140db microphones (which replaces the ball type in the video above) so also a possibility.

• 8 months later...

Apologies for the zombie thread-bump, but this is exactly what I've been searching for...

I've just started playing (rhythm guitar) in a new band, (in between bass jamming...) I had the first rehearsal last week in a dedicated rehearsal room. My last band was always pretty medium in terms of level, but this new lot are off the scale face-melting rock volume. The drummer reckoned he couldn't play any quieter and the other guitarist's rig descended into squeals of feedback between every song until he'd turned the pedals off... Perhaps I've lived a sheltered life, but this was deafening (and my ears were ringing 24 hours after two hours of playing). I'll definitely take my earplugs next time (and I'm kicking myself I didn't have them with me, as I do for all gigs normally...)

Anyway, assuming the band aren't going to/can't turn down, and I want to carry on playing (I'm 50/50 to be honest, just because of the sheer volume...) then this is just what I was after. I don't need a mix off the board or anything, I just need what I can normally hear, but quieter and more comfortable than wearing passive Etymotics or other plugs. I have some nice Shures and some Westones that would probably do a decent job for rehearsals at least. 

Has anyone kept up this method of quieter reality?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chipps said:

Has anyone kept up this method of quieter reality?

Yes - although reading about that band, it looks like you are on borrowed time anyway.

Insanely loud drummers and guitarists can do one. All it does is make the band sound stinky poo to the punters anyway. Who wants to be in a band where they can't even help themselves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Yes - although reading about that band, it looks like you are on borrowed time anyway.

That's my thought, but I'll give them another go (with earplugs) and then if it's still insane, I'll take my leave. 
I do now quite fancy a Zoom H2N though 🙂

15 hours ago, Chipps said:

That's my thought, but I'll give them another go (with earplugs) and then if it's still insane, I'll take my leave. 
I do now quite fancy a Zoom H2N though 🙂

I've tried my "system" with the H1n, Q8! H4nPro and Q4 - they all work. I have a Q2n4K to try out as well but I'm pretty sure that will work too. The great thing about the Q series is obviously that you can record video as well as audio AND use them as a set of "active ear plugs".