Why become a member? ×

Dropping down to one bass?

AndyTravis

Yup, I've only had 1 for the last couple of years. Suddenly I seem to be back up to two again though.

With me, I usually seem to get a favourite bass, and that is always the one I want to play, so there is little point building a collection.

I love having fewer basses. Not down to one, but was at three for last couple of years, currently at two, but looking for a third (on the cusp of ordering I think).

I guess my 'main' bass is my '71 Precision with flats, but that's obviously not perfect for every situation, so am looking for a quality P/J 4 string to have with roundwounds etc.
Also have a cheap but quality 5 string for the few gigs that call for it (Lakland 55-01).

Three, to me, seems to be the magic number :-D

Si

I've been exclusively using just one Thunderbird since last October (for [b]lots[/b] of gigs, rehearsals and all my home use). However, about 4 gigs ago as a one off I took out my P-bass.

I thought the OP was suggesting they just owned one bass but then this is Basschat after all!!!! Personally I have 3 in reserve.

Not counting the bass in bits in the shed, I've mostly been a 1 bass guy over the past 30 odd years. The Ibby does just about everything that I want it to.
However, later in the year that may well change.
I'm finding more use for the need of a 5 string. Drop D is fine on what I have, but some songs could do with that low C or even B.
I'm also tempted by fretlessness. Every time I play a fretless, I just love it. & then there's the idea of getting an electroacoustic, just so I can jam with the dad in law doing folk songs without having to take my wee combo down.
Tempted to get a Warwick Alien fretless 5. :rolleyes:

But then, how much would I actually play it acoustically & would the fretless sound okay when playing a bassline that wasn't originally on fretless?

Currently down to two basses. The two basses that I would probably not sell ever. My Lakland stays at standard tuning. This is my standard go to bass. And my Warwick is for my originals band which is tuned top drop C.

An Alpher 4 strings is coming very soon. So yes, 3 seems to be the magic number for me.

Yep. For nearly two years I've just had one bass.
I'm starting to look at getting a second for another band that needs a different vibe. But, i much prefer not having a spare room full to the brim of cases. Also, thinking more about the way you play rarher than just reaching for another bass has been a good lesson.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1493206835' post='3286459']
I would love to go to 1 bass. I have basses I have not played for years, but I am emotionally attached to to them. But I am not. I should just flog them. I am a lightweight.
[/quote]

I can relate to this. I have 4 all relatively inexpensive but have a reason to keep each.

- Squire CV60 Jazz – My first proper bass and worth more to me than its likely modest resell value so would not sell it.
- BB424X – Birthday present so would not sell it
- Overwater/Tanglewood Contemporary J – My only active and worth more to me than its likely modest resell value so would not sell it.
- Fender American Special P – Birthday present so would not sell it

The GF does struggle to understand why I have 4 but she did buy me a stand with space for 5 so I do now need another one. In reality the BB covers most things and is all I probably need in strict ability (my) and musical terms… but they are all a bit different and quite inexpensive / modest models and I guess it’s more an emotional ‘want’ rather than a need.

I've just crept up to 4 (2 fretted 4 strings a fretless 4 and a fretless 5), but I'm thinking that I only need one fretted as the Maruszczyk does everything I need in a fretted bass. The Ric is looking very worried and well it should.

[quote name='Rusco' timestamp='1493207903' post='3286473']
The GF does struggle to understand why I have 4 but she did buy me a stand with space for 5 so I do now need another one.
[/quote]
You could maybe fit a gu**ar in that slot?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1493200002' post='3286367']
Argh, I don't feel well. I need to get out of this thread immediately.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly! lol

Actually, I've got too many basses. I'm trying to cut down at the moment, but I really can't decide which ones to sell....
I got them all because I like them. It's taken me a long time to find what I really like, and they are all (well mostly) different from one another. I will try to reduce the numbers - but don't think I'll ever get back down to just one

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493207338' post='3286464']
Some of us can't afford more than one bass.
[/quote]

That's a really valid point - I've built up a collection through buying/selling and saving - I can't actually remember the last bass I bought new.