Why become a member? ×

Time on stage for a support band?

Hamster

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1493131068' post='3285898']
Somewhere between 30-60 minutes?
[/quote]

I would guess so too. Dependant on the number of supports playing and the start time. Could possibly be as high as 90 if you're the only support

Depends how many other bands are playing really. If it's just you and then the headliners, you'll probably get anything up to an hour.

For instance - my prog band is doing a mini tour next month with 2 other bands, we're on first and getting 40 mins.

Well, we're doing a lot of promoting ourselves we instigated the gig. We're a tribute band and so the back catalogue isnt a problem! The main band is on for 90 minutes. Some of our band want to play for 75 minutes, some for less - just trying to get a consensus. We can play for 75 mins as we organised the gig, but somehow that feels a lot compared to the main band.

I know that for 99% of the gigs that I've been to nearly everyone is waiting for the main band to come on.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1493137213' post='3285970']
Well, we're doing a lot of promoting ourselves we instigated the gig. We're a tribute band and so the back catalogue isnt a problem! The main band is on for 90 minutes. Some of our band want to play for 75 minutes, some for less - just trying to get a consensus. We can play for 75 mins as we organised the gig, but somehow that feels a lot compared to the main band.

I know that for 99% of the gigs that I've been to nearly everyone is waiting for the main band to come on.
[/quote]

75 minutes is certainly a lot if the headline band is only 90. That's almost a co-headline slot, which I presume this is not.

45 mins has to be the very top end of what I would expect really. As good as you may be, people coming to see a headliner wont want to wait longer than that.

Edited by Kev

75 mins is way too long. Remember that the audience are in general there to see the headliners, and without being disrespectful, would probably get bored of any band they didn`t know that went on for 75mins. A support act is there to warm up the audience for the headliners, 75mins of an unknown band, no matter how good would probably irk.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1493144516' post='3286051']
75 mins is way too long. Remember that the audience are in general there to see the headliners, and without being disrespectful, would probably get bored of any band they didn`t know that went on for 75mins. A support act is there to warm up the audience for the headliners, 75mins of an unknown band, no matter how good would probably irk.
[/quote]This. Ever heard of Death by Support Band? Let's get real here guys; how many support bands have you actually liked? 30 mins tops.

To the OP.
If you're a tribute band and initiated the gig play for an hour but get on within 30 mins of the doors opening.
With only two bands an hour of you and 90 mins of the headliner is plenty. I assume the venue will also appreciate a 30 mins break between acts to encourage punters to the bar.

Yeah, there's only the two bands playing. It's a home crowd for us but several comments here have confirmed my views about death by support band !!😁

The main band is Rhino's Revenge and we are a Quo tribute, so hoping it will be a great night!

Edited by Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1493190267' post='3286262']
Yeah, there's only the two bands playing. It's a home crowd for us but several comments here have confirmed my views about death by support band !!��

The main band is Rhino's Revenge and we are a Quo tribute, so hoping it will be a great night!
[/quote]not your normal support gig then, presumable the place will be full of Quo fans, you might go down better than the main act, I assume Rhino don't do any Quo numbers? could get tricky if they do
edit, personal preference remark, you'll defiantly go down better if you play with a pick :)

Edited by PaulWarning

I say if it's two cover bands, play equal time. If they are original, you should only play for 30 mins and they should play for 90 minutes.

If the headline is an original band, no one will want to hear covers other than what the DJ or sound guy play from their laptop

not putting down cover bands, but a crowd wanting to see original music will not want to hear covers, usually.At least where I am :)

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1493190267' post='3286262']
Yeah, there's only the two bands playing. It's a home crowd for us but several comments here have confirmed my views about death by support band !!😁

[/quote]

Excellent. We're doing the very same gig in Glasgow and are playing for an hour. You're a Quo band at a Rhino gig. You can't lose.