Why become a member? ×

Mateus Asato - I hate him.

Kiwi

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Ifd3xkR04&t=80s[/media]

Coming around here with his stunningly beautiful, articulate and sensual melodic playing, his flawless switching between improvised harmonies using 10ths and searingly explosive lead runs. Well f*** him. He's not going to make me give up my djenty power chords and high gain. Never. No.

I said this to a friend the other day...I'm in the odd position at the moment that two of my favourite guitarists are from Youtube. Mateua Asato and Pete Thorn. I've hardly heard anything they have done in a band or even song context but they both blow me away with their feel and taste.

In the old days my favourite guitarist was just whoever was playing guitar in my favourite band :D Now it's all based on one or two minute long clips on Youtube :D

His playing is incredibly vocal - I think that's what other guitarists mean when they say 'melodic'. He's throwing in double stops to add emphasis which I've only ever heard Pino do in the past.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1493271118' post='3286973']
His playing is incredibly vocal - I think that's what other guitarists mean when they say 'melodic'. He's throwing in double stops to add emphasis which I've only ever heard Pino do in the past.
[/quote]

Spot on. Double stops are pretty prevalent in country guitar but he uses them very tastefully.

I wonder if he sings? I find that quite often it's guitar players who also sing who have a more natural/vocal sounding phrasing.