Why become a member? ×

Markbass Nano Mark 300 - decent volume?

franzbassist

It can keep up with a loud metal band rehearsal played through a 4ohm STD-104HR but it sounds like it's working fairly hard to do it. I'd say it's similar in output to a GK MB200 through the same cab, but that obviously has a bit of baked-in grind to it when it gets near to full volume where the Nano stays quite clean.

It was a bit of an impulse purchase and I haven't played it a great deal or for a little while, but my lasting impression was that its gig-fitness probably depends more on the amount of serious low-end you want it to produce than the volume you want it to achieve.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1493128724' post='3285857']
It can keep up with a loud metal band rehearsal played through a 4ohm STD-104HR but it sounds like it's working fairly hard to do it. I'd say it's similar in output to a GK MB200 through the same cab, but that obviously has a bit of baked-in grind to it when it gets near to full volume where the Nano stays quite clean.

It was a bit of an impulse purchase and I haven't played it a great deal or for a little while, but my lasting impression was that its gig-fitness probably depends more on the amount of serious low-end you want it to produce than the volume you want it to achieve.
[/quote]

That's very useful, thanks. It should be fine for my current setup then, based on the above comments :)

Edited by walbassist

I've gigged one and it is more than adequate through my Barefaced SIX10. I usually use a Mesa 400+ or a Laney Nexus and it was able to match them in volume however compared to big valve monsters it's like alcohol-free beer.

I use the Nano as a gigbag backup in case the real amps have issues. It came in useful one time and did a splendid job. The band is a loud rock covers band.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1493550923' post='3289028']
I've gigged one and it is more than adequate through my Barefaced SIX10. I usually use a Mesa 400+ or a Laney Nexus and it was able to match them in volume however compared to big valve monsters it's like alcohol-free beer.

I use the Nano as a gigbag backup in case the real amps have issues. It came in useful one time and did a splendid job. The band is a loud rock covers band.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Yes, my aim to use it for rehearsals and small gigs, but mainly as a backup.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1493552539' post='3289049']
Thanks for that. Yes, my aim to use it for rehearsals and small gigs, but mainly as a backup.
[/quote]
Go for it. It's a fantastic piece of kit that gives a lot of peace of mind.

• 2 months later...

I picked up one of these on Friday - partly to make life easier for a gig on Saturday (on the jazz stage at Follyfest in Faringdon) where I knew I'd have to schlep my gear quite a distance from likely parking slots. Granted that isn't a high volume environment - loud but not 'stick your earplugs in' loud - but it was more than ample for the job without breaking a sweat. Decent low-end, too, and all through a single 15" speaker in an 8 ohm cab. I'm very pleased with it as a portable head that is more than powerful enough for my needs.

Wulf

• 2 weeks later...

"gets big pretty quick"..... this is purely and simply a marketing gimmick. Manufacturers that do this use a non-linear master volume pot so that a customer trying the amp out in a shop turns the knob up a little way and thinks "wow, this thing is loud!" In fact you might get to full power by 1 or 2 o'clock. Quality makers like Acoustic Image use linear pots and you don't get full power until the knob is right up.