Why become a member? ×

Dream Theatre

Blink

Any thoughts on the recent UK gigs. I saw them at Hammersmith last night and the best way to describe the gig is "epic".

Excellent sound (clarity with plant of dynamic range) and the band were on top form with just enough mistakes to prove that they are human like the rest of us.

N

It's 'Theater' *cough*

I saw them twice: 97' in Camden and err 2000 I think in Dusseldorf. Epic band, amazing chops. Drum and guitar solo sections can get a bit boring, and James does struggle with some of the frankly epic singing after 2hrs - but their standards are very high.

What was the setlist? I thought The Astonishing was terrible, sorry to say.

I really liked them way back when. Awake is brilliant. I saw them at the Forum/Town & Country Club on that tour, again a bit later when they did all of Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast at the Astoria as is their wont when playing multiple nights at the same place.

Saw them In Glasgow. Sadly, as ever, John Myung's playing wasn't distinguishable from the general hubbub. Viewed from the 5th row his fingers were flying but we couldn't make out what he was playing for much of the gig. He did however play Portrait of Tracy in tribute to Jaco. Our drummer was also a bit disappointed as Mangini's higher toms, his octobans and some of his cymbals were really low in the mix.
Jordan's synth guitar thingy had some electrical problems, Inaudible at the start of his solo bit then some heavy buxzzing and a couple of electrical clonks.
Having said that, James' vocals were better than on the dramatic turn of events tour and he's taken to adding some operatic embellishments instead of screeching his way through the really high stuff.
Encore was the whole of a change of seasons!!!!!

Overall I'd give it an 8 out of 10 purely for the mix. The playing itself was fantastic - petrucci just makes it all look effortless. .

Most of the set was to recognise the 25th anniversary of Images and words. They did the 2 "singles" of The Astonishing which came across as the leased rehearsed. There were some interesting modulations at the end of one of Petrucci's solos. LaBrie's vocals were the best that I heard them for a long time, in tune with plenty of power although dipping out of some of the higher stuff (age??). The low spot was Myung's tribute to Jaco (Portrait of Tracy) which was technically impressive (I can't get close to it) but musically flat.

A very enjoyable 2 hours and 40 minutes of entertainment.

glasgow setlist..
Act 1:
The Dark Eternal Night

The Bigger Picture

Hell's Kitchen

The Gift of Music

Our New World

Portrait of Tracy

As I Am

Breaking All Illusions

Act 2 (Images and Words):

Happy New Year 1992
Pull Me Under
Another Day

Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Encore:

A Change of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise

A Change of Seasons: II Innocence

A Change of Seasons: III Carpe Diem

A Change of Seasons: IV The Darkest of Winters

A Change of Seasons: V Another World
A Change of Seasons: VI The Inevitable Summer

A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset

Guest bassman7755

I was at the hammersmith show. Labrie cant hit the high notes anymore but still enjoyed it seeing as images and words is in my top 10 ish all time albums.

Pretty much a non-event from a pure bass playing standpoint as I could barely hear a note that myung played other than than his solo spot but then you can barely hear the bass in most DF recordings anyway and its not a band I listen to for the bass. On the flip side pretucci was absolutely stellar on guitar.

Only other time I'e seen them is when they headlined the high voltage festival a few years ago although left someone frustrated they didnt play anything from I&W at such a big event (which has now been remedied of course).

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1493042069' post='3285100']
Encore:

A Change of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise

A Change of Seasons: II Innocence

A Change of Seasons: III Carpe Diem

A Change of Seasons: IV The Darkest of Winters

A Change of Seasons: V Another World
A Change of Seasons: VI The Inevitable Summer

A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset
[/quote]

I saw them at Hammersmith quite a few years back and when James LaBrie strolled back on after two hours plus and announced they were doing ACOS as an encore (with the panache of Greg Lake saying, 'We're going to give you [i]Pictures at an Exhibition[/i]'), a part of me died. I mean, I don't really mind Dream Theater at all, they're very entertaining, but it was almost like I just couldn't take another 45 minutes of shredding!

[quote name='Blink' timestamp='1493041760' post='3285096']
The low spot was Myung's tribute to Jaco (Portrait of Tracy) which was technically impressive (I can't get close to it) but musically flat.

A very enjoyable 2 hours and 40 minutes of entertainment.
[/quote]

A mate of mine saw them the other night and told me it was really bad. Portrait of Tracy played badly with maximum overdrive? I think I'll pass! Just my opinion mind, each to their own!