Why become a member? ×

Record Store Day 2017

MrBen

Anyone else get down to their local record shop today for RSD 2017? Or am I the only one that still buys records? :D

We made the yearly pilgramge to see our friends at Spillers in Cardiff.

Seemed to be a good turn out - there were still queues at gone 11 and they opened at 8!

Just listening to the Folkazoid/J Spaceman 12" (it's great so far) and the Goat 7" is up next. I also managed to grab the Suger 'Copper Blue' reissue - 3lp on gold, blue and silver vinyl :)

What did you get?

Edited by MrBen

I'm resisting the urge to buy a turntable and drag my old LPs out of the shed.

I've replaced them with CDs.

Then re-mastered CDs

Then re-re mastered CDs - I'm talking to you, Beatles

then re re re mastered CDs- damn you Jimmy Page I am NOT buying your music again !

Vinyl has been my preferred format for years. I appear to have accidentally become fashionable in the last 18 months or so. I'm not a fan of RSD. Everyday is record store day in my house, rather than once a year where I see a queue of hipsters and guys having a midlife crisis!

I went to my local vinyl emporium in Aberdeen yesterday. 'Spin' has been open for a few months now and is just marvellous. A great bonus is the cafe/restaurant which is part of the whole place. It is just such a nice place to go and spend some time.

I was flying back from Portugal so got a friend, who was going any way, to pick me up my primary choices.
Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire (I feel a little guilty about this as the band were asking people not to buy the RSD releases as they'd see none of the royalties)
Dirty Three - Ufkuko (Been feeling a lot of love for Warren Ellis recently)
Pearl Jam - State of Love and Trust 7"

She got all three for me. I'll pop in to the local shop on Wednesday to see if they have anything else left. I'd like the Psychic TV stuff too.

But I think RSD has done it's job and needs to end or reformat somehow. With each year it clogs up the pressing plants more and more, delaying nonRSD releases.
I've been waiting for a Battle of Mice release since January, but it kept getting delayed. Release date is now May.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1493001595' post='3284729']
I love records, but have given up on RSD. Every day should be Record Shop/Store Day: http://thequietus.com/articles/19946-record-store-day-2016-shops-bad-reissues-bleugh
[/quote]

I agree with this entirely.

I think its a great concept and it has created huge interest in buying music again.

Why do I buy vinyl?

- The collector aspect,
- The sound,
- The larger artwork,
- The limited runs,
- Buying music is fun...but buying mp3s is nowhere near as fun as vinyl.

I do think the ebayers have ruined it somewhat. May as well be Record Store Day HOUR...because everything decent has gone by 9am.

I couldn't get to Piccadilly in Manc as I was visiting family back home. Bit of research led me to finding an independent store back in my home town. Turned up at 8:40 ish to find almost everything I wanted gone....and I refuse to get up at 4-5am and queue.

However, I did buy some bits off my list:

- Soulwax Double LP,
- Kasabian 10",
- Smiths 7",
- Blossoms 10" picture disc.

I still think it is a good idea, but I think they need to change it a bit, or maybe just stop it and release more limited records throughout the year to drum up excitement.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1492936660' post='3284159']
I've been waiting for a Battle of Mice release since January, but it kept getting delayed. Release date is now May.
[/quote]

Is that a new Battle Of Mice or a re-pressing of A Day Of Nights?

I know what you mean about every day being a record shop/store day - words to live by :D But from what I understand it is also a massive day for the shop - I know it drags people out to buy music that usually won't (and those Bowie/Floyd/Springsteen fans of a certain age that only seem to appear at events like this) and I hope that they make more mark up than usual! I'm not in the trade though so I could be talking out of my bum :D

Spillers were asking the regulars what we were after to make sure they didn't over stock, and I know they are picky on what they got in.

As much as we like ltd edition records, going there on RSD is as much about supporting our friends and their shop as it is about picking up some exciting coloured vinyl :)

I dislike the majors wading in a stealing the thunder from the indie labels, and I've seen releases I'm after put back due to the lack of press plant time but I hope that on the whole it helps the indie shops and labels.

We always buy music from an indie store - use them or lose 'em. I also find that if I have a physical copy I'll play it at home, but if I just have a digital copy then I don't. Probably helps that we have a decent record player :)
[size=2][b][center]Save[/center][/b][/size][size=2][b][center]Save[/center][/b][/size]

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1493026783' post='3284858']
Is that a new Battle Of Mice or a re-pressing of A Day Of Nights?
[/quote]

It's A Day of Nights plus a couple of other tracks

[url="https://www.discogs.com/Battle-Of-Mice-All-Your-Sympathys-Gone-The-Complete-Recordings/release/9249392"]https://www.discogs....release/9249392[/url]

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1493035502' post='3284983']

It's A Day of Nights plus a couple of other tracks

[url="https://www.discogs.com/Battle-Of-Mice-All-Your-Sympathys-Gone-The-Complete-Recordings/release/9249392"]https://www.discogs....release/9249392[/url]
[/quote]

Shame they've not done more, I bloody love Julie Christmas

Record Store Day was a good idea when it first started, but these days has been hi-jacked by bands and labels that most definitely don't need to publicity.

Also a lot of modern music (by which I mean anything recorded since the mid 90s) isn't suited to being cut to vinyl for all sorts of technical reasons. Also could you imagine getting "Dummy" by Portishead on vinyl? How would you know which pops and clicks were from the original recording and which had been acquired by your personal copy of the record?

And finally from the PoV of trying to persuade record stores to take my band's offerings, we've had to give up since the kind of markup the stores want to add to our records means that even if we only take enough to just break even on a sale they are still priced higher than someone could buy direct from our band's web site including postage.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1493042270' post='3285101']
could you imagine getting "Dummy" by Portishead on vinyl? How would you know which pops and clicks were from the original recording and which had been acquired by your personal copy of the record?
[/quote]

I'm going to have to buy a vinyl copy of "Dummy" now & keep taking it back because it's scratched. :)

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1493040788' post='3285087']
Shame they've not done more, I bloody love Julie Christmas
[/quote]

Same here.
Have you hear her solo album and the Cult of Luna one?

And BRX. I have Dummy on Vinyl. But having listened to the cd once a month since it was released I know which pop and clicks aren't meant to be there, when listening to the vinyl...