Why become a member? ×

Any suggestions for a cheap, small, stupidly heavy cab

tonewheels

Need a permanent cab for my new man cave/studio which, being 150' down the garden, is vulnerable to passing bike thieves. They need to scale a few high fences to get there but that hasn't stopped them stealing neighbours' bikes. So heavy is good. My Barefaced rig is definitely not going down there

I sold an original Ashdown 4x8 for peanuts a few months ago. Would have been perfect. Tiny, punchy, takes 600W and weighs 30kg. Don't come up very often though. Any other ideas?

[quote name='MGBrown' timestamp='1492888496' post='3283977']
No contest: An old Peavey 410tx. I just sold mine for £35 on e*ay. Slightly more than 40kg and a bugger to lift single handedly.
[/quote]

Too big I'm afraid. The 4x8 was tiny but made of depleted uranium.

I was going to suggest a Peavey 1x15 but again I suspect they are too big. How about a 2x10, most old Peavey stuff is more or less valueless but is reliable and sounds good at the expense of great weight. My 1x15 has done sterling service as a sit and forget occupant of just such a man cave.

I'd spend the extra on bolts, grills, locks and an alarm to stop these guys getting into the shed in the first place. Carpet gripper on the top of your fences would be a start.

Whatever you choose I'd also get a couple of shelf brackets and bolt the cab to the floor.

The other point is that these a-holes will usually trash anything they can't steal so stopping them getting into the shed is the best idea, but if you don't, fix a sheet of ply over the front of the cab when it's not in use, so they can't kick the front in.

Pick up a 8x10 various manufacturers. Obviously not the light weight ones.
Ampeg, Ashdown, Orange, Marshall all do them and i've seen the Marshall ones going quite cheap. Big heavy beasts that no thief will want to haul around plus he won't get it in his car. :lol:
Try looking at some of the old Peavey 2x15's or similar.
Marshall did a Lemmy 4x15 now that must be heavy. :lol: :lol:

EDIT:- sorry missed the "small" part. Old 1x15 and load the cab with bricks :D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I had a Peavey 2x10TX cab a few years ago, and seem to remember it not being that bad weight wise.
( Or am I just remembering it in pre Barefaced terms? )
There's an Ashdown 2x10 kicking around on Gumtree ( I think) for £50. They're quite heavy little
b*ggers. Will keep my eyes open for the 4x8 too.
Am loving the bolted to the floor idea as well, am sure we've all had cabs that felt like that.

Just use any cab and put an Ashdown badge on it, no one will take it then :-).

Actualy, bolting to the floor is exactly what my mate used to do at his rehearsal studio. He did try concrete blocks in the bottom of a open back cab but people would still move the cab around (expected i suppose).

See if your Rotweiler likes the idea of sleeping in the shed. Or put a bear trap in there (probably illegal).

More seriously, I like the idea of bolting it to the floor. I don't know how these scrotes' minds work (or if they have minds at all) but I wonder if you make the outside of the shed too secure it might advertise that there's something in there worth nicking.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1493041507' post='3285094']
I don't know how these scrotes' minds work (or if they have minds at all) but I wonder if you make the outside of the shed too secure it might advertise that there's something in there worth nicking.
[/quote]

Six years ago I created the first of my Junkyard studios: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149816-creating-my-own-rehearsal-space/page__hl__rehearsal%20space

The photo at post #2 (taken at the start of the project) shows how the garage looked from the outside. Basically, like a garage.

What you couldn't see was that the left-hand door actually fronted a solid wall, and the right-hand door concealed a steel barred gate like the cell door in a prison.

I'm firmly on the side of preventing the buggers from getting in, rather than somehow limiting the damage they do once they're inside. IMHO the best way to prevent someone from breaking in is (1) to give them no reason to bother to try (essentially camouflage), and (2) to present them with an 'oh sh*t' moment if they do try (like a completely unexpected steel gate), leading them to look for someone easier to rob elsewhere.

Attempting to damage the individuals concerned is a hugely attractive notion, but one that doesn't survive contact with reality.

I think you chaps are right. Camouflage and security are the things. Think I'll put removable ply panels inside the Windows and blinds on the doors. Separate door hasp with concealed bolts and then some sort of alarm with SMS capability. I'd really like a fog/strobe system but they're a bit pricey.

Edited by tonewheels

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1492949254' post='3284289']
Or just wire the mains to the handle.......
[/quote]

I like the way you think but i would take out any handles from all the equipment in the shed. It would make it more dificult to cart the stolen goods.

The other issue arising from shed burglaries is that once in your shed the a-holes have access to enough tools to get into your house. A good spade and fork could make short work of your UPC or wooden back doors, including the locks.