Why become a member? ×

DI/preamp for solo blues? Advice needed

Rexel Matador

Hi everyone,

When I'm not playing bass, I play solo acoustic blues type stuff. I'm thinking of trying a hollow body electric to give it a little more grit, and just to change things up a bit. What kind of DI/preamp/pedal would I be able to carry around in my case so I can just rock up to an open mic night without an amp and get a reasonable sound plugging straight into the desk?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks!

I've just bought a Zoom MS50G for home recording - £85 delivered from GAK. With the v3 software you can load further amp models from their website, and I have to say they sound great. A pair of alkaline AA batteries will keep it running for several hours.

I brought one of these: http://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-pulse/ Its really flipping good. Only thing was a mate offered me an amp I wanted and now this is redundant after a couple of recordings (Doh!). They are really cool little boxes though.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1493327086' post='3287588']
Thanks for the tips. I've gone with a zoom for now, just to get up and running, but that Laney contraption looks thoroughly badass and it will be first in line when I'm able to upgrade!
[/quote]

Which model Zoom did you go for?

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1493327086' post='3287588']
Thanks for the tips. I've gone with a zoom for now, just to get up and running, but that Laney contraption looks thoroughly badass and it will be first in line when I'm able to upgrade!
[/quote]

Can super recommend it. Really well made and comes with the PSU as well.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1493412766' post='3288236']
Which model Zoom did you go for?
[/quote]
I went for the G1on. Cheap and cheerful but adequate for my needs. I've played out with it a couple of times already and it does the job admirably. I only really use an amp sim and a touch of reverb.