Why become a member? ×

Precisions with slimmer neck

johnpaulbass

So here's my story:
After a long search (and sacrifices) I was able to purchase a great Pino Palladino Custom shop P bass.
Long story short at least in my ears this is the best P around hands down, great feel sounds massive... etc. I owned some P basses (78 maple neck, 83 Squier JV, etc...) and this bass (although I'm aware that those are completely different worlds) beats them by far.

Ok... I'm owning it for 2 months now and playing it daily for at least 2 hours. Sad story my hands are not so "big" (i.e. Pino, at least in the pictures, is a tall guy and has enormous hands ).
The result is that I'm not "feeling" so well with the neck, it's just "too big for me" (wide). Said that I'm surely not giving up and will try it for at least some "more time".

Ok.. so... are there any "makers" (Fender and such...) that makes a P bass similar to Pino's (so with 60s specs) but with slimmer neck ?

Thank you very much

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492597314' post='3281457']
Hi. I reckon you want a bass with a B profile. These were prominent in the late 60's and early 70's and is my favoured neck. Just a bit wider than a Jazz and less than a full blown Precision like yours.
[/quote]

Agreed. I have a '78 B neck Precision. Due to Fender QC at the time, they don't all come up exactly the same, so shop around. I have never found one so comfortable and am considering having a custom builder copy it!

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1492600104' post='3281493']
Fender Nate Mendel is thinner, not sure about the 60's bit.

[/quote]

Yes a great pick and the first I thought of. This, the Steve Harris and the Mike Dirnt current models all have the slimmer 40mm nut which would be the one I'd go for. Not quite as small as the Jazz 38mm nut but still wide enough to feel like a P.

Nate's signature model is crafted on his own favourite 70's P bass. I forget the year, possibly '71.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492600461' post='3281496']
Yes a great pick and the first I thought of. This, the Steve Harris and the Mike Dirnt current models all have the slimmer 40mm nut which would be the one I'd go for. Not quite as small as the Jazz 38mm nut but still wide enough to feel like a P.

Nate's signature model is crafted on his own favourite 70's P bass. I forget the year, possibly '71.
[/quote]

Just want to make a point about the Harris, it's got a rather Chunky neck, so if you're not a fan of that style of neck then I'd rule it out.

It also depends on if you like West Ham or not :D

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1492600770' post='3281502']
Just want to make a point about the Harris, it's got a rather Chunky neck, so if you're not a fan of that style of neck then I'd rule it out.

It also depends on if you like West Ham or not :D
[/quote]

Point well made! Yes, it's thick front to back isn't it! Maybe not such a good choice... which would also rule out the Mike Dirnt too! Apologies, I wasn't thinking! :)

Pure guess and no idea of cost but, if the bass is perfect in every other way, can you get a luthier to reshape the neck to B profile? It must be possible in theory and you should preserve everything you like about that instrument. One of those factors would be how compatible the neck and body are and replacing the neck is always something of a gamble, even if it fits perfectly.

The Nate Mendel has the B profile neck - not so spindly as a Jazz but definitely narrower (i think 41mm) and thinner than most Precisions - its a geat feeling neck.
The Sandberg is a good call too (I have a Nate and a Sandberg PM4 and they are very similar in profile) - it can do a good Precision tone in passive mode.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492604100' post='3281549']
Pure guess and no idea of cost but, if the bass is perfect in every other way, can you get a luthier to reshape the neck to B profile? It must be possible in theory and you should preserve everything you like about that instrument. One of those factors would be how compatible the neck and body are and replacing the neck is always something of a gamble, even if it fits perfectly.
[/quote]

I'm not the kinda guy who likes to modify stuff :)

The regular non-vintage P basses also have a slightly slimmer neck with 1.625" nut / 9.5" radius compared to the vintage spec 1.75" nut / 7.25" radius of the Pino.

I did not get on with the neck of the Classic 50s P (which I believe is a similar size to the Pino), but my small hands get on just fine with my American Standard P.

Squier Classic Vibe is always an option since it comes in the Pino colour scheme!

I've probably got your ideal bass in my Limelight. Pino colour scheme, hand-wound pickup which sounds outstanding, and a 40mm B width nut. No 181 if you want to reference it with Mark at any point

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/MattM1314/FBE36F04-CEFB-43AD-A434-C2775BD3212C_zpsdw51locj.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1492625428' post='3281782']
I've probably got your ideal bass in my Limelight. Pino colour scheme, hand-wound pickup which sounds outstanding, and a 40mm B width nut. No 181 if you want to reference it with Mark at any point

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/MattM1314/FBE36F04-CEFB-43AD-A434-C2775BD3212C_zpsdw51locj.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Fantastic.

Wouls you consider selling it ?