Why become a member? ×

optimistic improvements on a Squier VM

mcnach

the comments are fantastic

[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKBassgear/permalink/1019564924843509/?sale_post_id=1019564924843509"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKBassgear/permalink/1019564924843509/?sale_post_id=1019564924843509[/url]

good luck with that!

[quote name='Shawman' timestamp='1492677043' post='3282148']
"Usually upgrades add nothing to resale value"

I'll have to keep that in mind
[/quote]

that is correct. if its not stock then the resale value diminishes.

Look, it's up to me to try and sell the bass for what I feel it's worth. If people don't want to pay that then that's fine, I'll just hang on to it for the time being. Note that none of the guys commenting on the sale post made me an offer, which means it's none of their business what price I sell the bass for.

I really don't want to get into a discussion with strangers over the web about what I choose to sell one of my basses for because with the best will in the world it's got nothing to do with them.

Funny thing about internet forums - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not! :)

I'm with the seller on this one and don't understand why anyone wouldn't be in this case

If upgrades really don't add value then someone ought to have a word with Mr Cleartone ;)

funny thing about internet forums is they are for discussion. that is the flow of comments back and forth between various parties, all of whom are voluntarily taking part. Dont like it, dont take part.

Getting back to the topic of whether modifications add or detract from resale value, 95% of the time they will detract. Unless you have a seller looking for that specific bass with those specific mods then you will have a hard time getting more than current market value. The other instance would be if the mods were done by the manufacturer of the bass.
It's a bit like selling a custom built bass, people want to know exactly what they will be getting for their money - modifications or non-stock builds add too many variables for people to be readily willing to shell out over current market value for such instruments.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1492771477' post='3283062']
funny thing about internet forums is they are for discussion. that is the flow of comments back and forth between various parties, all of whom are voluntarily taking part. Dont like it, dont take part.

Getting back to the topic of whether modifications add or detract from resale value, 95% of the time they will detract. Unless you have a seller looking for that specific bass with those specific mods then you will have a hard time getting more than current market value. The other instance would be if the mods were done by the manufacturer of the bass.
It's a bit like selling a custom built bass, people want to know exactly what they will be getting for their money - modifications or non-stock builds add too many variables for people to be readily willing to shell out over current market value for such instruments.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say the mods reduce the price, but they rarely add quite as much as some people think... unless you find that buyer that wants *exactly* what you offer, then you are onto a winner.

We must remember 'though that everybody can ask for whatever they want, and there's nothing wrong with it. I have at times put something for sale at 'optimistic' asking prices, purely because I was not in a hurry and it just wasn't worth it for me to sell it at lower than that price. I'm not putting a gun to somebody's head to buy it ;)

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1492771477' post='3283062']

[/quote]

Thank you for the lesson on how forums work. FWIW I wasn't having a go, I just genuinely wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. Not trying to shut down the discussion - simply adding to it

I would understand if this was a Fender from the 60s which has had all the original electronics swapped out for some EMGs, then the value would be gubbed.

The bass in question has no doubt (to me) been improved so see no issue with the asking price - which is the point I was trying to make earlier