Why become a member? ×

If I see a Morris dance troupe coming towards me....

Biglump

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1492442333' post='3280265']
Off topic, there's a Morris side in the town in Henley in Arden.

For reasons best known to themselves they go full blackface in tophats and multicoloured jackets and waistcoats and prowl round the town every boxing day.

Scared the Bejeezus out of me the first time I bumped into them, I thought I'd walked into an episode of 'The League of Gentlemen'.

Edit:these are the bastards, in full boxing day get up.

http://silhillmorris.weebly.com/who-are-we.html

So, in conclusion if you see a Morris troupe coming towards you, run.
[/quote]
I was trying to remember where I'd seen them before. Then I realised I was thinking of last week when we took the car through a car wash...

Edited by KingBollock

I totally agree with you about the covering up not to be recognised and knew that was what you were hinting at, yes there are African references to the dancing style, immigrants at the time etc. But I like you did not want to get into that as well.

What I will get into with however is enjoying ale, that is a good pastime

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1492461101' post='3280506']

I was trying to remember where I'd seen them before. Then I realised I was thinking of last week when we took the car through a car wash...
[/quote]

Maybe this year I could persuade them to divide into two lines and spin rapidly while I drive between them.

Edited by Cato

Is bass much welcomed by the Morris crowd? My brother used to know a few down in Gloucestershire and Somerset, and he reckoned that any attempt to play chords to the tunes was frowned upon - his local lot were all melody instruments and the odd bit of percussion (apart from Melodeon left hand which is on the wrong chord as often as not anyway).

There is a rich tradition of Morris dancing in my local area, Banbury, particularly in the village of Adderbuty, on the southern outskirts of Banbury, and in the market town of Brackley (my birthplace) a few miles to the east. A lot of the summer festivals around town feature Morris dancing and at Christmas, wassailing.

I'm glad that such traditions survive, although I have little knowledge or interest in Morris dancing. I have more appreciation of it as an adult, that those passionate about it keep the ancient songs and dances alive. As a teenager however, the annual Adderbury Day Of Dance was just an excuse to get uproariously drunk and try to cop off with one of the farm girls. Happy days...

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all the curiosity about Morris and Bass, my mate who isn't on here sidles up and asks to borrow my Micro Cube to play bass on a tour with the local Morris Side....
It must be Spring fever.
My next flight of fancy will be how do I discuss it on here if someone gifts me a Rickenbackker.....

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1493462326' post='3288507']...how do I discuss it on here if someone gifts me a Rickenbackker.....
[/quote]

There's a suitable topic for nearly everything here on BC ... :mellow:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278383-bad-jokes/"]Bad Jokes ...[/url]

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1492455671' post='3280442']
Try popping along to Sidmouth folk week, where theres dozens of the merry jangly buggers bashing the living daylights out of much willow as they can get their hands on.

A bit scary, in an odd sort of way.
[/quote]

we're playing there this year, should drown out that folkie tosh!
As for Morris Dancers, there's millions of the the f*&%^$s around here (south Devon) can't move for em around May bank Holidays, like swatting away flies, I have a strict opinion of em! :P

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1493474146' post='3288616']
Don't like the sound of that, I'll be in south Devon next week, should I pack some Morris-repellent spray?
[/quote]
long sleeves shoud be ok, and weirdly they don't like patches with words like AC/DC on the back of jackets

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1493477376' post='3288653']
Here's a pretty cool Morris dancing video. An ex-colleague is one of the side, he's the one in the hat and bells.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVYDRM842s[/media]

(I really like the straw man)
[/quote]

Ha! That was rather fine!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1493474598' post='3288621']
long sleeves shoud be ok, and weirdly they don't like patches with words like AC/DC on the back of jackets
[/quote]

Bit too late to source a patch now, but I'l try to avoid too much exposed skin.