Why become a member? ×

Allan Holdsworth

steve-bbb

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1492382620' post='3279856']
Thanks for the recommends, I'll give him a listen tomorrow.

As an aside, I wonder if he ever met my dad. He calls our cat the Gatox, a mix of gato (Spanish for cat) and gateaux.
[/quote]

It's from an old joke - a man in a restaurant asks if he can have Gattox for dessert. When the waiter tells him they don't have any the man says "Oh Bollo".
I didn't say it was a GOOD old joke... :D

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1492416305' post='3279967']
Judge him by the company he kept basswise - I've got:

Alphonso Johnson
Paul Carmichael
John Wetton
Jack Bruce
Ernest Tibbs
Gary Willis
Jeff Berlin
Jimmy Johnson
Skuli Sverrison
Anthony Crawford
Jimmy Haslip
Evan Marien
[/quote]

Add Stanley Clarke to that illustrious list with an appearance and fab solo on "if this bass could only talk"

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1492447333' post='3280311']
Add Stanley Clarke to that illustrious list with an appearance and fab solo on "if this bass could only talk"
[/quote]

Oh yes - 'Stories to tell'. The way AH comes in at the start is hilarious. It's like he's butchering a cat.

Stanley, Stuart Copeland and AH almost formed a band 'Electric Rush Hour' but I don't think AH would commit and it morphed into 'Animal Logic' with Deborah Holland.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1492629457' post='3281858']
Stanley, Stuart Copeland and AH almost formed a band 'Electric Rush Hour' but I don't think AH would commit and it morphed into 'Animal Logic' with Deborah Holland.
[/quote]

And what a massive disappointment that turned out to be.
Some of the music was OK but Deborah Hollands lyrics were bloody terrible, some of the most banal garbage I've ever heard.
It's a shame the project with Holdsworth never happened.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1492629863' post='3281862']

And what a massive disappointment that turned out to be.
Some of the music was OK but Deborah Hollands lyrics were bloody terrible, some of the most banal garbage I've ever heard.
It's a shame the project with Holdsworth never happened.
[/quote]

I've got both Animal Logic records, I got them when I was about 17-18 and listened to them loads as I was mad about Stanley Clarke. Both records have some great songs, and 'there's a spy' is an absolute favourite of mine. The first record is the stronger of the two but really, both records could be condensed into one, retaining the bangers and dropping the dross.

I agree about some of Holland's lyrics, they really are dire in places. Overall, I liked the style of the band for the most part. Stanley and Stewart cut some great tracks. If only they had got Joni Mitchell onboard, imagine that!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1492790660' post='3283287']
I've got both Animal Logic records, I got them when I was about 17-18 and listened to them loads as I was mad about Stanley Clarke. Both records have some great songs, and 'there's a spy' is an absolute favourite of mine. The first record is the stronger of the two but really, both records could be condensed into one, retaining the bangers and dropping the dross.

I agree about some of Holland's lyrics, they really are dire in places. Overall, I liked the style of the band for the most part. Stanley and Stewart cut some great tracks. If only they had got Joni Mitchell onboard, imagine that!
[/quote]

There are some good songs, "Spy" is good & I really like "Sunset gun" too. Nothing wrong with Stewart & Stanleys contributions to the album.
Yeah, joni would have made it a very interesting project indeed!