Why become a member? ×

Dood's Inevitability Proposition

solo4652

Yesterday, Dood asked:

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Is there a formula that calculates the likelihood of a huge bill arising after saving up cash for a new bass gear purchase?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]A quick back-of-envelope calculation produces this crude starting point:[/size][/font][/color]

[u]Tss X Tsl X C [/u]
2MB X Tng

Where Tss = Time spent saving
Tsl = Time spent looking
C = Cost of bass
MB = Money in bank
Tng = Time to next gig

Lots more factors to add, I think...

Edited by solo4652

love this! Thank you Solo', my inner geek is spending too much time thinking about this. Which is great, because that means I'm not having to think about the purchase I had planned (and sold a favourite cabinet to fund) slipping through my fingers.

Oh well.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1492423994' post='3280064']
It's a million-to-one chance, so it's bound to happen.
[/quote]

Like the chances of anything coming from Mars!

#WarOfTheWorldsThread

#YesIJustHashTaggedInBasschat
#CompletelyPointless
#RandomlyRememberingVBScriptCoding

#LooksLikeWeAreInGMajor

OK,

Taking into account the extra factors suggested above, here's a development of Dood's Inevitability Proposition. This is open source material, so anybody can make any alterations they think are appropriate...

[center][color=#222222][font=sans-serif][size=4]Ψ[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]{([/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4][u]Tss X Tsl X 5C) + AoHG + (12 - MOT)}[/u][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]2MB X Tng [/size][/font][/color][/center]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Where [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Tss = Time spent saving[/color]
[color=#282828]Tsl = Time spent looking[/color]
[color=#282828]C = Cost of bass[/color]
[color=#282828]MB = Money in bank[/color]
[color=#282828]Tng = Time to next gig[/color][/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ψ[/size][/font][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] = Psychological constant = expectation of bad things + awareness of partner + [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]h[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]ow much you've convinced yourself that you [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][i][b]need[/b][/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] the bass[/size][/font][/color]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Mot = Length of remaining MOT on car[/color]
[color=#282828]Aohg = Average age of all household electrical goods[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492430751' post='3280150']
Like the chances of anything coming from Mars!

#WarOfTheWorldsThread

#YesIJustHashTaggedInBasschat
#CompletelyPointless
#RandomlyRememberingVBScriptCoding

#LooksLikeWeAreInGMajor
[/quote]

Found this a lot funnier than I probably should have! :rolleyes:

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1492473970' post='3280597']
Found this a lot funnier than I probably should have! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

He he! Thank you, it's not often people laugh at my jokes!!

Looking back though, I should have said B Major. But then, that's probably why people don't laugh at my jokes; watch me kill the punchline ha ha!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492503756' post='3280673']
He he! Thank you, it's not often people laugh at my jokes!!

Looking back though, I should have said B Major. But then, that's probably why people don't laugh at my jokes; watch me kill the punchline ha ha!!
[/quote]

Was it E.B White that said "Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you learn a lot but the frog dies."

You were right with G Major though (or E minor)..... unless of course you were eluding to the fact that there were 5 sharps in total in the original post in which case I say well played sir, excellent wit!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1492514740' post='3280805']

You were right with G Major though (or E minor)..... unless of course you were eluding to the fact that there were 5 sharps in total in the original post in which case I say well played sir, excellent wit!
[/quote]

Yes, indeed I started with the one sharp then went for the five. Shame it wasn't C Major we were talking about as relatively speaking it would have been... wait for it... [i] A Minor[/i] error...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492523103' post='3280907']
Yes, indeed I started with the one sharp then went for the five. Shame it wasn't C Major we were talking about as relatively speaking it would have been... wait for it... [i] A Minor[/i] error...
[/quote]

Gold! :lol:

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1492383081' post='3279857']
You might need to factor in the law of Symmetrically Opposed Developments which states that desired outcome is inversely proportional to actual outcome.
[/quote]

dude, whats that mean?

If Im really looking forward to something, it'll be really bad... and visa versa?

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1492684835' post='3282256']
dude, whats that mean?

If Im really looking forward to something, it'll be really bad... and visa versa?
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"law of [size=5][b]S[/b][/size]ymmetrically [b][size=5]O[/size][/b]pposed [b][size=5]D[/size][/b]evelopments"[/size][/font][/color]