Why become a member? ×

New to straplocks

bonzodog

Dunlops on all mine with no issues. Totally agree that the ideal would be flush mounted though.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492330684' post='3279390']
In an ideal world I would love Dunlop Flush Mounted Locks fitted on all my basses. Fodera fit them as standard and I love 'em, but Im not taking a drill to and of my basses that don't already have them :)
[/quote]

I'm very happy with straplocks and have them on all my guitars and basses. I would say I had now more issues that with the original strap buttons unscrewing and comming loose. The exception is when you fit the strap part onto a thick strap, which will compress and needs chacking when you use it for the first few times but thats an obvious thing to do in my mind.
I could do with a gold set, maybe this post will see some come up on here for sale :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007VE883O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492457422&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=marvel+strap+locks&dpPl=1&dpID=41oUpCbUOxL&ref=plSrch

I use the marvels, got them on all my basses, you can get them in chrome , gold or black ,
you can buy the guitar fixings seperately, ive never had a problem in 5 years , thoroughly recommended

I've used Schaller, Dunlop and DiMarzio. Currently using Schaller on all my straps. The reasons are: I've never had one fail and I have different straps for different purposes. Like a Mono compfort one for long band practices, a normal Souldier and a Souldier with my wireless pack on.

major reason I don't use Dunlop. I had one fail multiple times with my Les Paul nearly dropping to the ground because it just came out of the strap button. Its only held in by ball bearings,

A little locktite on the Schaller nut and a spanner will sort any loosening problems.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1492350194' post='3279575']
Out of interest, has anyone tried the Loxx brand of straplocks?
[/quote]

Yes, I've got Loxx strap locks on my basses. Very happy, no problems so far, but haven't directly compared them to Dunlops.

I've been using Schallers since the mid-80s and never had a problem with them that wasn't down to user error.

When I bought my Warwick Starbass it came with the Warwick version of the Dunlops. Within 3 months of getting the bass the locking mechanism on one of them failed very embarrassingly just before a gig which resulted in a rather more subdued stage presence than normal. I ordered some Schallers the next day.

If you follow the instructions given by EBS_Freak earlier in this thread, you can't go wrong.

Only locks I have had fail are the Dunlop type, fortunately I have always caught the bass. Hardly surprising, giving the design! The idea of everything resting on that one pin freaks me out completely.

Schaller design certainly makes the most sense, with the lock fitting over the button, as opposed to on top. Keeps the bass closer to the strap as well and comfier as a result. Tighten the nut on the strap properly (ask someone strong if you need to...) and it won't come loose, just as many things tightened with nuts don't come loose! Rotation arguement is bizzare as the lock fitting should not rotate at all, if it is then you are doing it wrong and it's no surprise it loosens! Using the same logic, why aren't our tuners falling off our headstock all the time ;)

But, I don't use either. I use grolsch washers. Why? Never failed and for all my pulling and swinging around I can't see how they would in normal use.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492612230' post='3281636']
A tuner is a worm drive, nothing like using a single nut.

Why do cars have left hand threaded hub nuts do you think?
[/quote]

I can't tell if you are intentionally missing the point or not :)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1492556637' post='3281259']
I use schallers , I put the nut on first & tighten with a spanner this compresses the leather then I put the washer on.
[/quote]

This works for me... and I pride myself on being an enormous wimp (yes... enormous AND a wimp). I still manage to tighten the pesky blighters up with my thin wrists and bony hands.
Never had any problems with scallers, even swapped out the Warwick locks on my Warwick basses.

[quote name='Rothko' timestamp='1492534481' post='3281036']
Yes, I've got Loxx strap locks on my basses. Very happy, no problems so far, but haven't directly compared them to Dunlops.
[/quote]

Thanks :) I use Schallers and they are fine, but I liked the slightly less obtrusive look of the Loxx ones - I'll probably give them a try at some point.

Got fender strap locks on my fender basses. Makes swapping basses at a gig easier but I have had them come undone a few times when using a thick leather strap. I should make a habit of tightening them by hand every now and then I guess, but a slightly longer screw thread going through the strap wouldn't harm.

I've used Dunlops in the past, and didn't get on with them, I much prefer the design and operation of the Schaller's.

I've never altered my strap for the threaded part, just force the washer down with the ring part of a spanner on the washer, then tighten the nut with the spanner, using a screwdriver in the "U" section of the lock to hold it "straight"(ish).

If you are concerned about the nut coming loose, then get a tube of Loctite 243 Threadlock from your local Auto Spares shop / Halfords etc. Put a dab of it on the thread of the nut before putting it on the post. Hold down the washer with your left finger & thumb, then screw it down and tighten with a spanner. Leave the thread lock to dry for a while, then it should be secure for years.

I've been using Schallers for nearly 20 years, and never had any problems with them, on a variety of guitar straps for bass and guitar.