Why become a member? ×

Mild fuzz advice.

Japhet

I'm after a fuzz pedal to fill out a bit of the sound when the guitarist solos. Basically, I want something that sounds like a chunky rhythm guitar underneath that keeps plenty of dry blend in the sound. The reviews I've seen on YT all seem to focus completely on face melting mush which is not what I want. I recently took a punt on a Mooer Fog which sounds quite good but doesn't allow dry signal adjustment. I'd like a standard size or mini unit. The Big Muff Nano Pi sounds quite promising but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I would say add in an octave pedal to help fill the void.
EBS Octabass is Ok, but I only had it on a gentle setting, simiarly the EHX POG is good, but gives you a polyphonic artificial sound to my mind. MXR bass octave deluxe is also a good pedal.

Fuzz wise it's really difficult, the big muff Pi I did not like, it's mushy, and this could just be me but I think fuzz won't necessarily fill out the sound but give it less clarity.

Another would be a clean boost pedal, so no effects but push your sound forward just a touch, may make your amp clip a little to let the sound break up if that's what you want depending on your amp.
Good example of a clean boost is a creation audio Mk4.23.

Lastly maybe a chorus pedal, the MXR bass chorus deluxe os fantastic, leaves the bottom end mainly alone, you can dial in the slightest chorus, and it has a flanger option.

Hope it helps, sorry if it was a little off the original question

It's the MXR Bass Distortion that's Rat-based. That could well be with a look if it's a distortion/fuzz rather than octave effect you seek.

Check out the Akai Unibass for a guitar simulator, putting out an octave plus a fifth above to layer power chords on top of your root notes from the bass. It's old and discontinued but worth a look to see if it's a road you want to go down, although not sure if there is a decent modern replacement all-in-one pedal that does the same.

you could try a Zoom B1on it has almost limitless adjustment to get a fuller sound, I have it set so it's just before it gets spikey, only about £45, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-B1on-Bass-Effects-Pedal/dp/B00JLEHMG6 incidental I tend to just play an octave higher during a guitar solo

Have picked up a One Control Mosquite blender. I'm pretty happy with the sound from the Mooer Fog so hopefully I can combine some slightly more treble focussed fuzz with a good dollop of dry signal to get what I'm after. We'll see.

The Mooer Fog running through the Mosquite blender gives a very controllable fuzz which also enables the dry signal to be prominent. Can also go to the wild end of the spectrum. Just what I was after for anyone that might be interested.

Maybe look into something where you can Mix the effected signal with the clean signal, so you don't loose the bass. Maybe something like a BOSS ODB or similar.

Must admit, I don't know of any fuzz pedals that have this option, but it's worth looking at something with a mix control, and having some clean bass in there, as opposed to a totally "dirty" / wet sound.

I have just picked up a Fredric Effects Scrambled Brainz (Ampeg Scrambler clone) from this very forum and it has a blend that goes from 100% dry to 100% wet. But it's not a subtle fuzz, from the limited time I have spent with it: http://www.fredric.co.uk/scrambled-brainz-ampeg-scrambler-clone.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1492987346' post='3284702']
I have just picked up a Fredric Effects Scrambled Brainz (Ampeg Scrambler clone) from this very forum and it has a blend that goes from 100% dry to 100% wet. But it's not a subtle fuzz, from the limited time I have spent with it: [url="http://www.fredric.co.uk/scrambled-brainz-ampeg-scrambler-clone."]http://www.fredric.c...crambler-clone.[/url]
[/quote]

I saw that pedal in the F/S section. When I looked on Youtube the demos (as usual) concentrated almost exclusively on flat out fuzz with very little use of the dry signal. As I said above, I'm getting what I want from a Mooer Fog and a One Control blender which allows me to put in plenty of dry signal. It does a fairly good job of sounding like a conventional bass and a rhythm guitar which is what I was after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently brought an Owen electronics space charge distortion and it covers everything from mild overdrive to muff style and beyond.
It uses a 12AX7 valve, has mid control and a boost.
I'm seriously able to ditch my Rat Tail, Boss DHSS1and Fredric Green Russian now to free up board space for a Bass Whammy.
Sounds great with my Jazz through my Trace stack and brutal with it through my EVH stack.
This pedal has changed my life and would recommend it for almost any given situation!
Mild fuzz though is one of its strongest points!
Good luck with your tone quest !!

• 2 weeks later...

Straight up Fuzz might not fill-up the sound while your guitarist is soloing.

For a full thick sound you might want to consider combining bass octave with a distortion pedal that will allow you to dial in your low end then separately dial in the desired amount of fuzz, dirt, distortion or whatever it's called theses days.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1492937198' post='3284166']
Maybe look into something where you can Mix the effected signal with the clean signal.[/quote]

Skybone, I agree 100%. You can do just that with the MXR M-85 Bass Distortion pedal.

Blue

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1492194677' post='3278659']
I'm after a fuzz pedal to fill out a bit of the sound when the guitarist solos. Basically, I want something that sounds like a chunky rhythm guitar underneath that keeps plenty of dry blend in the sound.
[/quote]

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbqpDI_4Oc

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1495995210' post='3308012']
Something like this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbqpDI_4Oc[/media]
[/quote]

Bought one a week or so ago. Cracking little pedal. Was sold by the Scott Whitley demo and the sounds he was getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5AC05Diys