Why become a member? ×

Activating my Jazz

stevekendal

The J-Tone is a simpler, (and cheaper) version of the J-Retro. You get Vol/Bal, (or 2xVols if you want), Bass, Treble and Passive Tone.
With the J-Retro you get additional Mid Level and Frequency.
If you don't need/want the Mid controls, go for the J-Tone.

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1492772163' post='3283071']
I like the look of the j-tone.....how much adjustment do we really need !!
[/quote]

I like the mid-sweep control for mids on the J-Retro because sometimes using the two pickups together the mid-scoop can get a little too much. With the midsweep you can get a little extra boost on a narrow section of mids to make it *just* right: you still get the character of the two-pickups on of the Jazz, but with a little added definition. I find it very useful, and once you use it a few times you already know what setting you tend to like, so it's not like you need to tweak much, it's almost a set and forget setting.

The J Retro is great, pretty much keeps the character but somehow tightens everything up. I fitted one only as a lazy way of fitting a pan pot instead of the VVT set up but loved what it did for the sound and the fact that I now don't need to visit my amp all night as I only need to tweak the tones on the bass.