Why become a member? ×

FDeck or Micro Thumpinator?

Maude

I've posted this in the effects section but I'm also putting it here as I'm intrigued as to the replies from predominantly DB or BG players.

I play doublebass in one band and bass guitar in another so I want a HPF that will be good for both.
With doublebass I use a PJB Suitcase and 4b cab for monitoring and FOH, with it DI'd through the PA to help boost it when needed, only because the PJB sounds better than just the PA.
With bass guitar I just go from pedal board straight to PA with a floor monitor.
The reason for wanting a HPF is that my poor little PJB cones are leaping all over the place with both gains at half, eq is pretty flat just boosting the top end slightly. At outdoor gigs we've tripped the PA amp a couple of times with, I believe, the low end of the DB and Cajon.
I should add that these are our PA's in case anyone thought we were tripping house PA's.
We don't want to really change our sound as the bottom end interaction with the Cajon and bass really works for what we do.
I assume that either of the HPF's will just help get rid of the subsonics that are driving my PJB and the PA too hard.
I don't really need it on BG but assume if I have one and it cleans up my sound then why not use it.
So what do the collective think of the pro's and con's of each.

Thanks for the replies.
I think it'll be an FDeck if I can sort one out. The MT seems more bass guitar territory for some reason, and being a dumbass I've just realised that when playing BG I use my Variax into my Line6 pedal, a data lead links the two for power and comms to the Variax and the pedal goes straight to desk so unable to use a standard pedal in that chain, d'oh!
It was mainly for the DB into my PJB so FDeck it is.
I've sent a pedal builder whose name escapes me an email so hopefully he can knock me one up.

Dan at 4114 custom effects,

http://4114customeffects.co.uk/about-4114/

He built clones for Basschatters Clarky and Andyonbass a while ago according to this thread,

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232358-fdeck-clone-made-in-uk/

so hopefully he can sort me out.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1492443635' post='3280274']
Would anyone have any suggestions if he does not come through?
[/quote]

He will, Dan built me a couple of stripped down Fdecks - little peizo buffers with no vol or HPF in super quick time.

I agree Fdeck are the superb for DB

Just a quick update, Dan has messaged me saying he can make an FDeck, he'll be away for a little bit but it should be about a three week turnaround, £90 including p&p. I'll message him tomorrow to sort out details.
Happy days.

[quote name='dodge_bass' timestamp='1492739310' post='3282832']
Which one are you getting made? I'd really like one as well for my upright so I'd like to hear how you get on!
[/quote]

I've asked for a stripped down one, get rid of the volume control, phase switch and battery indicator, and swap the battery clip for a 9v power socket. So just a mains powered buffer with the HPF circuit and control.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1492793484' post='3283314']

I've asked for a stripped down one, get rid of the volume control, phase switch and battery indicator, and swap the battery clip for a 9v power socket. So just a mains powered buffer with the HPF circuit and control.
[/quote]

Cool. Well I've just ordered one as well - in a pedal board format with controls on top of the box - all as a result of stumbling upon this thread while up late with my newborn daughter. Dan was a bit surprised I think to have another enquiry :) Looking forward to receiving it.

• 1 month later...

Yes, that's what I was told but I've just realised it's been five weeks, I'm sure it's fine, I'll give it a bit longer and then send an email if I haven't heard anything.
Not massively worried, just want to try it out :)