Why become a member? ×

Wrapping Strings Around Tuner Post

ezbass

There was a thread a while back with a BCer asking for the best method to wrap/anchor strings around the tuner post. At the time I wanted to post the info sheet that you get with Ernie Ball Cobalt flats but I couldn't find it online and had to post a photo of my headstock (not the best guide). However, having just bought another set of Cobalts for my incoming new bass, I thought I'd share the info sheet for those experiencing slippage at the tuner post, or just looking for a good way to wrap the string end at the distant end of the neck. Here you go...

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/IMG_0635_zpstkk22g8e.jpg.html"][/url]

I have never seen strings wound in this way.

If you wind around the post there doesn't seem much point in #3. And #4 seems to have the strings wound over each other. I wouldn't do either of these things.

The usual advice is for 2 or 3 wraps around the post, finishing with the string at the bottom of the post.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1492185728' post='3278574']
The usual advice is for 2 or 3 wraps around the post, finishing with the string at the bottom of the post.
[/quote]

That's certainly how I've always done it, never had a string slip or break, never felt any reason to change how I string my basses.

I tried this when I bought a set of Cobalts. Works ok but in all honesty I didn`t notice any better holding in tune that the regular 2 wraps round the post way. And it`s a lot more fiddly with a E string doing it that way.

I think the string overlap in picture 4 is intended to show the single locking overlap that must take place if you go back through the centre as shown in step 3. They've drawn it incorrectly though.

I suppose if a string somehow ended up short enough that you could only get one wrap around a post then this method might get you by.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1492185728' post='3278574']
I have never seen strings wound in this way.

If you wind around the post there doesn't seem much point in #3. And #4 seems to have the strings wound over each other. I wouldn't do either of these things.

[/quote]

+1

I bought those Cobalt strings and installed them like I normally do, not like in the picture... not a problem.

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1492372333' post='3279768']
I've never done step 3 with my basses but I always do with my 'other' guitars
[/quote]

I've got one guitar with slotted post machine heads and I use this method for the plain strings. Even then it's not always completely secure, and at some point I'll probably fit some Gotoh locking machine heads instead.

Same here, step 1 & 2. I hate an untidy winding. Below is important I think.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1492243515' post='3278870']
I've never put the string back through the post either. I always make sure that each wind of the string goes below the previous one to hold the string down in the nut.
[/quote]

Edited by grandad