Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang PJ, Olympic White

gsgbass

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1494211347' post='3294003']
It's a Mexican made, the D'Addario Nylons play well on it. I use the ETB92's on my Ric 4003W also.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. It's good to know whether the MIM versions of a bass can stand up alongside US made versions. It is of course, so often the case, but we don't always hear how good they are or how they compare.....

If I was looking for a short scale bass atm, I'd really be considering one of these, especially as I'm a fan of P/J's.
Cheers

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1494229686' post='3294063']
Thanks for that. It's good to know whether the MIM versions of a bass can stand up alongside US made versions. It is of course, so often the case, but we don't always hear how good they are or how they compare.....

If I was looking for a short scale bass atm, I'd really be considering one of these, especially as I'm a fan of P/J's.
Cheers
[/quote]

For what I've seen of the Fender MIM's, they're a well made bass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Fender MIM's if I wanted, or need any more.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1494383679' post='3295526']
For what I've seen of the Fender MIM's, they're a well made bass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Fender MIM's if I wanted, or need any more.
[/quote]

Yes, I think these days MIM Fenders are very good.
I've owned 3 of the Mexican made Roadworn basses, and they are absolutely awesome instruments!

I've not played a MIM Mustang - though I'm sure they're very comparable to the US made version...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1493498651' post='3288837']
The D'Addario tapewounds are perfect on a PJ, they go really well with that pickup configuration for some reason. I have them on my normal Precisions as well, but on a PJ they are particularly good. More so than flats, for me anyway.
[/quote]

I think some of the off sounds some players get with whatever type of strings, Nylons or whatever, isn't the sound from the strings, as much as either the settings on the amp, or the brand of the amp itself. I've found for my basses, Nylon strings, and the low bass tones I play, the Markbass amps work great for me. It may not be what other players are wanting, or needing, but it suits me just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread. Those that have the MIM Mustang PJ's - what's the pickup balance like? Is the J pickup useable on it's own or is it overshadowed by the P? I'm wanting one of these but reading the threads over on Talkbass, it looks like the American Performer series has much more going for it in terms of how the pickups perform with each other. Admittedly they're twice the price, but I want to be sure I'm going to be satisfied with what I get . . . . 

I’ve only had mine a couple of weeks and love it.

Re: the pickups, I’m largely using the P pickup, just my preference as I’m a P player generally. The blended pickup sound is really nice though, and very usable. The J on its own is also usable and also sounds very decent to my ears. 

What I can’t do is give you much in terms of how it holds up in the mix with any kind of a ‘regular’ band as I’m currently in a bass/drum two piece. 

Well worth the outlay if you want my opinion though. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Resurrecting this thread. Those that have the MIM Mustang PJ's - what's the pickup balance like? Is the J pickup useable on it's own or is it overshadowed by the P? I'm wanting one of these but reading the threads over on Talkbass, it looks like the American Performer series has much more going for it in terms of how the pickups perform with each other. Admittedly they're twice the price, but I want to be sure I'm going to be satisfied with what I get . . . . 

You could get a MIM, upgrade the pickups and still have change over the American Performer.

15 hours ago, King Tut said:

I find the pickup balance to be fine on mine although admittedly I don't use the J pickup on its own as that sound isn't for me. But the stock pickups on mine sound great and complement one another really well. I play varying the blend (I had the 3 way switch changed for a blend pot, that's the only mod on mine) between P only, both pickups 50:50 and my favourite setting of P on full with the J at about 30-40%. 

I've had a play with an American performer in PMT in Northampton, it was a good bass but I struggled to see where the extra money was going in comparison to my Mexican P/J version. 

• Like 1