Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang PJ, Olympic White

gsgbass

I acquired a Fender Mustang PJ, Olympic White today. It plays, and sounds really good. The QC on it is right on. It's nice to that it weighs in at 7.8 lbs. The D'Addario ETB92S Nylons do well on it as well. A good, quick, smooth playing short scale bass, with a 1.5" jazz size nut onboard.

Edited by gsgbass

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents. I really like playing it. The Rosewood Fretboard is pretty decent on it. The bridge on it is the newer, heavier vintage style found on the newer MIM Standard Series Basses. I would love to see Fender do one with a Maple Fretboard.

Edited by gsgbass

Yes, these look great. The shape of these has really grown on me too
And I do like a P/J pickup arrangement these days

Is yours the Mexican or US model?
I'm also thinking about trying some D'Addario nylon strings now too :)

Don't be in too much of a rush to add flats or tapes - they sounded wonderful played solo, but lacked definition in a loud band context. I'm now back with the stock strings - plenty of bottom end as well as cut.

This is the best short scale bass I've played - the jazz pickup transforms it. I've heard a lot pf people are using the pbass pickup only - I've found that option lacking soundwise. Currently running both pickups with the tone rolled back just a little.

[quote name='Tim Chapple' timestamp='1493302201' post='3287300']
......the jazz pickup transforms it. I've heard a lot pf people are using the pbass pickup only - I've found that option lacking soundwise. Currently running both pickups with the tone rolled back just a little.
[/quote]

Both my fretted P's are now P/J's. I had the J pickups added by superb Cardiff luthier Dave Dearnaley
I really like the tonal options a P/J arrangement gives you. As you say Tim, the J pickup can transform the sound you get.
I usually set my amp flat first, then set the P pickup level, tweak the amp EQ, then dial in some J pickup to suit. I can't understand why all basses are not fitted with P/J pups ;)

I'd really like to try one of these P/J Mustangs. Thanks for posting your thoughs

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one of these.
It started a few months ago when I bought a Harley Benton P shorty from Thomann just to try a short scale out. Best £68 I've spent in ages, that bass is so much fun to play. I've done some basic upgrading - I put a set of LaBella flats on, new wiring loom, a Quarter Pounder pick up and a bridge cover. (I bought the strings, the rest were spares I had lying around) It sounds killer and it's now my main bass in one of my bands, we play old soul & RnB.
Then I stumble across the Fender site and the Mustang PJs. Uh oh. The olympic white is so nice. The OP's pics look lovely and my GAS is raging again.

Like others on here, I'm finding gas hard to resist on these.
A couple of years back, I got the graphics lady at work to mock me up a Bronco with another pickup at the bridge and was just my thing.
Then this comes along...
And the bridge I've got for sale atm might just be perfect for it too, oh dear!!

I have had a blue Mustang PJ for a few months and I like it more than the 70's version with the racing stripe I had back then. The switch is bigger than some (JP 90)but it "clicks" if you change it while sustaining a note. No sound man would like that ! The Jazz pickup adds some crispness . The strings are heavy for a short-scale. The E is a .105 . I use .100 strings on a Precision and these feel about the same amount of tightness. The neck can support these strings fine.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493211718' post='3286544']
Yes, these look great. The shape of these has really grown on me too
And I do like a P/J pickup arrangement these days

Is yours the Mexican or US model?
I'm also thinking about trying some D'Addario nylon strings now too :)
[/quote]

It's a Mexican made, the D'Addario Nylons play well on it. I use the ETB92's on my Ric 4003W also.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1493506585' post='3288887']
These basses are brilliant - really good fun to play and sound great.

My only issue was the switch felt a little flimsy for the quality of the bass...
[/quote]

Funny, because on my Mustang PJ, the switch was the first thing I checked out, and it's very solid, and has no static also when switching positions. The ETB92S Nylons play great on it too.

Edited by gsgbass