Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

4 minutes ago, Meddle said:

All those presenters are too old (52, 53 and 40 respectively). None of them will have any fingers on any pulses. The BBC also seem to think that the 'musical yoof' are all brap brap Grime artists with troubled childhoods. This is a BBC problem, not a problem with live music broadcast.

Presenters aren’t the problem, are they... producers have the say-so.

1 minute ago, Meddle said:

Too old, too ubiquitous and gratuitously overpaid. The BBC hold on to sacred cows like Evans because he made for edgy TV twenty years ago.

To be fair, he also had a massive listenership on Radio 2.

As for the Top Gear thing... well, that was always going to be a poison chalice because it wasn't the chosen 3.

I think Chris Evans does have a habit of succeeding (Top Gear aside) - and that's why they pay out the money. I suspect Virgin will gain from his move.

13 minutes ago, Meddle said:

All those presenters are too old (52, 53 and 40 respectively). None of them will have any fingers on any pulses. The BBC also seem to think that the 'musical yoof' are all brap brap Grime artists with troubled childhoods. This is a BBC problem, not a problem with live music broadcast.

40 isn't too old!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Ed Sheeran seems to have done OK via the BBC without the 'grime' connection or troubled past (although I think he may have referenced nicking a bottle of his Mum's sherry in one of his songs).

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

What ageist poppycock. Theres 60+ year olds that have their fingers on the pulse more than teenagers.

John Peel clearly had no idea about emerging music post the age of 40... right?

Unfortunately John Peel was very much the exception to the rule. As can be seen from the thread about being out of touch most people are struggling to keep up before they hit 40.

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately John Peel was very much the exception to the rule. As can be seen from the thread about being out of touch most people are struggling to keep up before they hit 40.

There's plenty of John Peel's out there... they are just not fortunate to have been propelled into the limelight. I suspect there's a load of people out there running music pub quizzes every week that have music knowledge (including up the minute chart news and emerging bands) far eclipsing Peel's... but the opportunity has never presented itself for them to be discovered (or they may simply just get off on doing pub quizzes and that suits them fine!)

Edited by EBS_freak

15 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

What ageist poppycock. Theres 60+ year olds that have their fingers on the pulse more than teenagers.

Yup. If there's any 20 year olds out there who know more about reggae than David Rodigan (who at 67 is obviously far too old), I'd love to see 'em.

• Like 1

C'mon guys!!

I'm not a fan of Chris Evans but he was obviously on the big bucks because he could attract and maintain the largest audience figures for a radio show in the UK, probably in Europe. Apparently, with the run up to his departure audience figures were dropping like a stone. It doesn't matter who you are, you pay for guys like that.

If he could only raise an audience of 8 people he certainly wouldn't be on the BBC, no matter what his history was. More like he'd be on L&D hospital radio.

27 minutes ago, chris_b said:

C'mon guys!!

I'm not a fan of Chris Evans but he was obviously on the big bucks because he could attract and maintain the largest audience figures for a radio show in the UK, probably in Europe. Apparently, with the run up to his departure audience figures were dropping like a stone. It doesn't matter who you are, you pay for guys like that.

If he could only raise an audience of 8 people he certainly wouldn't be on the BBC, no matter what his history was. More like he'd be on L&D hospital radio.

And Virgin obviously think that he's worth it... 2 million a year salary is it?

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Think it wasn’t a full capo Paul, probably as you say. I haven’t a clue how they’re used TBH!

Yeah - it was just on (possibly) G, but def. D and A. Very cool usage to get those open/high note thingies going.

The show was mixed - usual boogie nonsense and annoying noises. I do like George Ezra, and as annoying as Buble's songs are, there's a reason he was the highest selling male artist of the 00s like anywhere (is that right) - he is a travelling Vegas residency of charisma (git.).

Jess Glynne is fabulously successful too - but she appears to sing out of her nose. Go figure.

17 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

It would be interesting if anyone knew the process by which the production team/whatever for Jools Holland, chose the upcoming artists for appearance on the show. Presumably, they play it safe on NYE but on the other shows, there's an element of "talent spotting" out there.

Same as anything in the industry - know somebody who knows somebody on the team and can persuade them you're worth the shot. They must get ten thousand unsolicited submissions a year that they won't have time to listen to, so the bookers will have a list of promoters and agents that they can approach for new acts and then will choose from a list of those based on a changing table of what they like, how good their team is, how likely they are to be catching onto an act right before they take off, and how long since your agent and their agent did dinner. The more push you have from your agent and/or label than the better the chances but it's not just biggest wallet wins. We actually played with Record Company in London a few weeks before they filmed their bit and we were vaguely aware there were Jools agents floating around, but didn't exactly get chance to sit down and discuss the process with them...

Edited by borntohang

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

C'mon guys!!

That just proves how many morons like his drivel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

That just proves how many morons like his drivel. 

My Mrs has radio 2 set on the alarm and whilst I can safely say that Evans blabbering on first thing in the morning was akin to torture for me, listening to Zoe Ball makes me want to throw myself out of the bedroom window. My God she spout some rubbish.

• Haha 2

Just now, Japhet said:

My Mrs has radio 2 set on the alarm and whilst I can safely say that Evans blabbering on first thing in the morning was akin to torture for me, listening to Zoe Ball makes me want to throw myself out of the bedroom window. My God she spout some rubbish.

If you thought that was bad... Vanessa Feltz before hand... OMG. Talk about obviously spewing nonsense to fill time.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

If you thought that was bad... Vanessa Feltz before hand... OMG. Talk about obviously spewing nonsense to fill time.

Don't get me started on her. The only 'interviewer' I know (i use the term loosly) who asks a guest a question and then shrieks over their answer to express her own half baked opinion.

Guest bassman7755
On 02/01/2019 at 09:37, chris_b said:

To all the people moaning and slagging off Later. . . why do you bother watching?

The only couple of hours I've watched of broadcast TV for the whole year and at the behest of my missus who insists that the TV is on around midnight, JH was the lesser of two evils (the other being a stale and geriatric madness). If I ever actually watched TV this show would be way down my list as I have pretty much zero affinity with any of the genre's on offer (RnB, blues, soul etc).

3 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

The only couple of hours I've watched of broadcast TV for the whole year and at the behest of my missus who insists that the TV is on around midnight, JH was the lesser of two evils (the other being a stale and geriatric madness). If I ever actually watched TV this show would be way down my list as I have pretty much zero affinity with any of the genre's on offer (RnB, blues, soul etc).

Don't think that was an invite to explain yourself, it was just a counter-rant.

8 hours ago, Japhet said:

Her ex husbands a bass player you know. Careful, he might be reading this! 😂🤣

On 03/01/2019 at 14:46, BreadBin said:

Lauren Laverne is one of the best people for the job - she is insightful and intelligent and actually appears to listen to people she interviews.

I had no real opinion on her when you posted this, but now she is on 6 music morning show, I now need something else to listen to in the morning. I used to listen to radio 4, but it got too depressing, then i got 6 music as I got a car with DAB, and all has been good in the last year. Now she has taken over the breakfast show I can't listen to it, I have been going back to see if radio 4 is any less depressing, it seems it isn't. Local radio is dire, I am not yet old enough to listen to radio 2 so I guess it is down to listening to my own recordings.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I had no real opinion on her when you posted this, but now she is on 6 music morning show, I now need something else to listen to in the morning. I used to listen to radio 4, but it got too depressing, then i got 6 music as I got a car with DAB, and all has been good in the last year. Now she has taken over the breakfast show I can't listen to it, I have been going back to see if radio 4 is any less depressing, it seems it isn't. Local radio is dire, I am not yet old enough to listen to radio 2 so I guess it is down to listening to my own recordings.

What about the breakfast Talksport show with Alan Brazil and chums? You don't have to be a huge footy fan to enjoy it as they also cover golf, cricket , tennis, racing, motorsport, rugby and general random banter. The mood is light and Brazil has always had good sparring partners like Ally McCoist, Ray Parlour and the late great Ray Wilkins. R4's today programme  generally makes me feel suicidal and TBH 99.9% of music on the radio bugs me whether its rock, pop, classical whatever  so i never tune in to any music show