Jump to content
spectoremg

Later with Joolz last night

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

13 posts. Did you sign up especially for this thread or something?

haha joined two years ago. Never used it. Sadly didn't have anything better to do last night so thought I'd stir the pot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Dave Swift - sponsorship - surely not!?

Was he playing a Warwick? 😁

Really not sure but it sounded great - very fat sound during Junior - Mama Used to Say. His EUB sounded good as well.

As did the Laklands from the guy in the George Ezra band. 

Jerry Barnes' sound is really too thin for Chic and apart from the occassional Marcus Miller/ Abe Laboriel esque fill was not audible or fat enough sounding - that instrumental break in Le Freak relies on the bass part to support it and it didn't (on my tele) - in fact I could barely hear it other than said fizzy fills. In some ways I was disappointed Dave Swift didn't play on it as his sound was far more appropriate. 

The guy playing with Rudimental used what looked like a version of a 50s P without pick guard on the Anita Baker song - that was also indistinct and not very audible. However the several Rudimental collaborations were great. 

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought. I'm also fully aware that liking one of Jools' programmes is far too contentious for Basschat........

Here's another - there were some wicked brass arrangements....

Unless I was seeing things, Dave Swift appeared to be using a reasonably well concealed music stand (Buble big band standards). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

13 posts. Did you sign up especially for this thread or something?

EDIT: oh no. I see now. Yeah, funny that you should choose to weigh in on another Jools related thread.

Hahahaahahaha. oh dear. It's too easy!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Really not sure but it sounded great - very fat sound during Junior - Mama Used to Say. His EUB sounded good as well.

As did the Laklands from the guy in the George Ezra band. 

Jerry Barnes' sound is really too thin for Chic and apart from the occassional Marcus Miller/ Abe Laboriel esque fill was not audible or fat enough sounding - that instrumental break in Le Freak relies on the bass part to support it and it didn't (on my tele) - in fact I could barely hear it other than said fizzy fills. In some ways I was disappointed Dave Swift didn't play on it as his sound was far more appropriate. 

The guy playing with Rudimental used what looked like a version of a 50s P without pick guard on the Anita Baker song - that was also indistinct and not very audible. However the several Rudimental collaborations were great. 

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought.

Interesting as I thought the bass tone one Junior's Mama Used To Say was horrible, thin and didn't fit the track at all. Didn't sound funky at all and was more of a distraction the playing was superb though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Interesting as I thought the bass tone one Junior's Mama Used To Say was horrible, thin and didn't fit the track at all. Didn't sound funky at all and was more of a distraction the playing was superb though.

It's a keyboard on the original - I thought he did a good job of it as it did have that fat but focussed sound to it - the opposite of Le Freak. 

Edited by drTStingray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

It's a keyboard on the original - I thought he did a good job of it. 

Yeah and his playing was superb as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Yeah and his playing was superb as always.

Yeah agreed - sounded especially good on the Buble standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed it... I'd never heard of The Record Company but I was impressed and will investigate further. 

Wasn't keen on Jess Glynne's trousers. And Buble is a bit of mystery to me... my wife says that I need to be a menopausal woman to understand 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Enjoyed it... I'd never heard of The Record Company but I was impressed and will investigate further. 

Wasn't keen on Jess Glynne's trousers. And Buble is a bit of mystery to me... my wife says that I need to be a menopausal woman to understand 😛

Nah, you only have to appreciate musical talent. The boy can sing. He has a musical and soulful voice rather than the shouting and yodeling that passes for singing at the moment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry Barnes sounded ok on my surround sound setup, but a bit too low in the mix, and too much compression for my taste. Odd he was playing but their regular drummer wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought. I'm also fully aware that liking one of Jools' programmes is far too contentious for Basschat........

Here's another - there were some wicked brass arrangements....

Just watched it, and thought it was great. Mr Buble surprised me, sang really well without that daft effect employed on some of his recent recordings. Not the world's strongest voice but well suited to the songs he did, and superbly backed by The R&B Orchestra. He certainly looked like he enjoyed it too.

As for the rest - Chic their usual brilliance, even without one of their keys players and regular drummer. George Ezra - really good, great band. I quite liked The Record Company (despite never having heard of them), Jess Glynne, and Rudimental were good (not sure about James Arthur though tbh). Loved Yola, will be checking out her album. Hot 8 Brass Band were entertaining, and really the only act which didn't impress me in some way was Marc Almond I'm afraid. When you seem to have trouble pitching stuff, don't jump around too, it's not going to help really....

Thought the R&B Orch were superb, one or two new faces in there too. Mr Swift was as brill as always, and loved the EUB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

...pre-recorded toadying, ego-stroking cow poop at that.

They must be running a risk doing that, as about 75% of the audience are dead pool potentials. Would they re-record the show if someone who was in shot or (even worse) interviewed popped their clogs between the recording and NYE?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

They must be running a risk doing that, as about 75% of the audience are dead pool potentials. Would they re-record the show if someone who was in shot or (even worse) interviewed popped their clogs between the recording and NYE?

They probably use enough cameras so they can make a whole program avoiding a specific area of the audience, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

You do know you can post old photos to Facebook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

Red herring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

I think he might have missed the gig, it was filmed on the 12th apparently.

Fake news,lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good few years ago around Christmas time i had a drink with a member of the Jools Holland band, I don’t know them personally but we have a mutual friend.

About two drinks in, I said “how’s prep going for the Hootenanny?” (Trying to sound cool...) And I was told that (for that year at least) it had been recorded in August.

It was like someone had told me Father Christmas wasn’t real all over again.

Edited by AndyTravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I didnt read it it properly. He didnt actually say what I thought he said. 🙄

Jools’ Holland’s annual New Years Eve Hootenanny TV show will be broadcast tonight at 11.15pm on BBC2. Here I am during rehearsals with my fabulous Ibanez Premium BTB1826 six string bass ready for action! People ask me if I ever get nervous playing regularly on TV shows? My answer is, I only get nervous about all those heavy, swivelling TV lights hanging directly above my head! 😜 The guests on tonight’s show include Michael Bublé, Yola Carter, Junior Giscombe, Jess Glynne, Nile Rodgers, Marc Almond, and our very own Ruby Turner! I’ve been the house bassist on this acclaimed TV show for the past 25 years, and I feel most privileged to have played with so many legendary & iconic artists in the past quarter of a century. For those of you who are able to watch the show tonight, I hope you enjoy it, and wishing everyone a happy, healthy, successful & rewarding 2019!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...