Why become a member? Read more... ×
spectoremg

Later with Joolz last night

9 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

I think he might have missed the gig, it was filmed on the 12th apparently.

Fake news,lol.

Posted (edited)

A good few years ago around Christmas time i had a drink with a member of the Jools Holland band, I don’t know them personally but we have a mutual friend.

About two drinks in, I said “how’s prep going for the Hootenanny?” (Trying to sound cool...) And I was told that (for that year at least) it had been recorded in August.

It was like someone had told me Father Christmas wasn’t real all over again.

Edited by AndyTravis

Ah, I didnt read it it properly. He didnt actually say what I thought he said. 🙄

Jools’ Holland’s annual New Years Eve Hootenanny TV show will be broadcast tonight at 11.15pm on BBC2. Here I am during rehearsals with my fabulous Ibanez Premium BTB1826 six string bass ready for action! People ask me if I ever get nervous playing regularly on TV shows? My answer is, I only get nervous about all those heavy, swivelling TV lights hanging directly above my head! 😜 The guests on tonight’s show include Michael Bublé, Yola Carter, Junior Giscombe, Jess Glynne, Nile Rodgers, Marc Almond, and our very own Ruby Turner! I’ve been the house bassist on this acclaimed TV show for the past 25 years, and I feel most privileged to have played with so many legendary & iconic artists in the past quarter of a century. For those of you who are able to watch the show tonight, I hope you enjoy it, and wishing everyone a happy, healthy, successful & rewarding 2019!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

Could have been rehearsals for the 2019 NYE.

24 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Could have been rehearsals for the 2019 NYE.

Yes that's a point, what's Gregory porter upto next week? Lol

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

It was like someone had told me Father Christmas wasn’t real all over again.

WHIT !!!!!!    when did that happen :shok:

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

WHIT !!!!!!    when did that happen :shok:

I was 8, I broke something of my older brothers. He chinned me and then told me that mum and dad do the presents and Santa is just made up.

On 31/12/2018 at 11:42, PaulWarning said:

the problem with Jools is not the music, I accept I'm probably only going to like one artist per programme if I'm lucky, they have to try and cater for everyone, it's his, mostly, embarrassing interviews and his insistence on accompanying at least one act per programme on the piano with that smug look of his.

I think they need a change of presenter myself

Yes but who would play the boogie woogie version of everything ?

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I was 8, I broke something of my older brothers. He chinned me and then told me that mum and dad do the presents and Santa is just made up.

He is a liar , don’t believe him !!

31 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

He is a liar , don’t believe him !!

I always knew there was something fishy about him. 

Funny really; our dad was a Halibut.

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Your brother lied to you Andy. Never believe your brother. 

Santa is alive and well. He must be cause i got pressies and my brother doesn't live here :laugh1:🎅:laugh1:

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15 April 2017 at 10:48, ezbass said:

End of story.
However, the presenters didn't feel the need to play along with the artists or for there to be a pseudo party vibe.

MB1.

"So you want me to star in it,write the Theme tune,sing the theme tune?"

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

To all the people moaning and slagging off Later. . . why do you bother watching? Shouldn't you be at least making an attempt to start the year doing something that makes you happy rather than the opposite?

I've started on the recording, I'm 20 mins in and unusally for me I've watched everything so far (tip: if you record it you can ff through the bits you don't like). Loved the start with the Hot 8. Reminds me of the guys I saw busking in NOLA last month. IMO you can't beat a bit of Boogie-Woogie. Just enough R&B in Yola's song to keep me interested and Jess Glynne always comes up with good tunes. The beardy US guys were my least favourite so far.

I ff through anything that isn't music and the interviews so they don't bother me at all.

If there was a Later every day of the week I'd check each one out. IMO you can't beat live music. . . . you really can't.

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If there was a Later every day of the week I'd check each one out. IMO you can't beat live music. . . . you really can't.

Spoiler. It's not live. It was recorded earlier in the year. And you're watching it off a recording.

/pedant

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Spoiler. It's not live. It was recorded earlier in the year. And you're watching it off a recording.

/pedant

Even if it were filmed lived, by the time it gets to your screen it's been delayed by time the signal it takes gets from the camera to your screen.

So that's not live either.

So NEEEER !

😛 ;)

Edited by ahpook

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

/pedant

That's only so Jools can overdub boogie woogie over everything. 

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Even if it were filmed lived, by the time it gets to your screen it's been delayed by time the signal it takes gets from the camera to your screen.

So that's not live either.

So NEEEER !

😛 ;)

And because light travels faster than sound, unless the Beeb have resynced it, the sound of which you are hearing and what you are viewing further screw with the liveness of it all.

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That's only so Jools can overdub boogie woogie over everything. 

I wonder if there's a stock sound library at the Beeb where they can simply drop in Jool's fave licks...?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And because light travels faster than sound, unless the Beeb have resynced it, the sound of which you are hearing and what you are viewing further screw with the liveness of it all.

Exactly. We should all go to the studio and press our faces right up into Mr. Holland's...to get that 'really there' vibe.

Right. Up. Into. His. Face.

Squish.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Exactly. We should all go to the studio and press our faces right up into Mr. Holland's...to get that 'really there' vibe.

Right. Up. Into. His. Face.

Squish.

Mr Holland's Opus :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

So the gist I'm getting from this is:

We still want a live music show on TV. 

We don't want Jools or his Boogie Woogie Piano.

We are scared of getting someone like Chris Evans/Jo Whiley/Lauren Laverne  instead, so is it better the devil.....?

That pretty much sums up my own feelings.  My concern is those that seem to think a live music show is not required at all.  I'm too old to be classed as a "yoof" any more, so what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

We are scared of getting someone like Chris Evans/Jo Whiley/Lauren Laverne  instead, so is it better the devil.....?

Add Fearne Cotton to that list...

2 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

So the gist I'm getting from this is:

We still want a live music show on TV. 

We don't want Jools or his Boogie Woogie Piano.

That pretty much sums up my own feelings.  My concern is those that seem to think a live music show is not required at all.  I'm too old to be classed as a "yoof" any more, so what do I know?

I should be old enough to think otherwise but I don't think we need live music on TV at all. Live music in the flesh 👍 but TV broadcasts  lack what can make live gigs great, i.e. the vibe. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I should be old enough to think otherwise but I don't think we need live music on TV at all. Live music in the flesh 👍 but TV broadcasts  lack what can make live gigs great, i.e. the vibe. 

On my personal level, I have a massive enjoyment of watching R&B/Hip Hop/Nu Soul etc played by real musicians rather than listening to an album based on samples.  This is why I love checking out new artists on Tiny Desk, Jools Holland etc. I don't think I would have searched them out/paid to see them otherwise.

This is why I love live shows and would hate to lose them fully from mainstream TV.  It goes with the argument I used to have with the guitarist in our vintage R&B band who wanted every note played verbatim from the original records - I used to argue that the original musos (probably not the guys who cut the tracks anyway) would have taken them on the road and changed them up over time.  Hence wanting to see them further down the line live too.

Edited by Huge Hands
Clarity