Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

On 15 April 2017 at 10:48, ezbass said:

End of story.
However, the presenters didn't feel the need to play along with the artists or for there to be a pseudo party vibe.

MB1.

"So you want me to star in it,write the Theme tune,sing the theme tune?"

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

To all the people moaning and slagging off Later. . . why do you bother watching? Shouldn't you be at least making an attempt to start the year doing something that makes you happy rather than the opposite?

I've started on the recording, I'm 20 mins in and unusally for me I've watched everything so far (tip: if you record it you can ff through the bits you don't like). Loved the start with the Hot 8. Reminds me of the guys I saw busking in NOLA last month. IMO you can't beat a bit of Boogie-Woogie. Just enough R&B in Yola's song to keep me interested and Jess Glynne always comes up with good tunes. The beardy US guys were my least favourite so far.

I ff through anything that isn't music and the interviews so they don't bother me at all.

If there was a Later every day of the week I'd check each one out. IMO you can't beat live music. . . . you really can't.

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If there was a Later every day of the week I'd check each one out. IMO you can't beat live music. . . . you really can't.

Spoiler. It's not live. It was recorded earlier in the year. And you're watching it off a recording.

/pedant

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Spoiler. It's not live. It was recorded earlier in the year. And you're watching it off a recording.

/pedant

Even if it were filmed lived, by the time it gets to your screen it's been delayed by time the signal it takes gets from the camera to your screen.

So that's not live either.

So NEEEER !

😛 ;)

Edited by ahpook

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Even if it were filmed lived, by the time it gets to your screen it's been delayed by time the signal it takes gets from the camera to your screen.

So that's not live either.

So NEEEER !

😛 ;)

And because light travels faster than sound, unless the Beeb have resynced it, the sound of which you are hearing and what you are viewing further screw with the liveness of it all.

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And because light travels faster than sound, unless the Beeb have resynced it, the sound of which you are hearing and what you are viewing further screw with the liveness of it all.

Exactly. We should all go to the studio and press our faces right up into Mr. Holland's...to get that 'really there' vibe.

Right. Up. Into. His. Face.

Squish.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Exactly. We should all go to the studio and press our faces right up into Mr. Holland's...to get that 'really there' vibe.

Right. Up. Into. His. Face.

Squish.

Mr Holland's Opus :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

So the gist I'm getting from this is:

We still want a live music show on TV. 

We don't want Jools or his Boogie Woogie Piano.

We are scared of getting someone like Chris Evans/Jo Whiley/Lauren Laverne  instead, so is it better the devil.....?

That pretty much sums up my own feelings.  My concern is those that seem to think a live music show is not required at all.  I'm too old to be classed as a "yoof" any more, so what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

So the gist I'm getting from this is:

We still want a live music show on TV. 

We don't want Jools or his Boogie Woogie Piano.

We are scared of getting someone like Chris Evans/Jo Whiley/Lauren Laverne  instead, so is it better the devil.....?

That pretty much sums up my own feelings.  My concern is those that seem to think a live music show is not required at all.  I'm too old to be classed as a "yoof" any more, so what do I know?

I should be old enough to think otherwise but I don't think we need live music on TV at all. Live music in the flesh 👍 but TV broadcasts  lack what can make live gigs great, i.e. the vibe. 

11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I should be old enough to think otherwise but I don't think we need live music on TV at all. Live music in the flesh 👍 but TV broadcasts  lack what can make live gigs great, i.e. the vibe. 

On my personal level, I have a massive enjoyment of watching R&B/Hip Hop/Nu Soul etc played by real musicians rather than listening to an album based on samples.  This is why I love checking out new artists on Tiny Desk, Jools Holland etc. I don't think I would have searched them out/paid to see them otherwise.

This is why I love live shows and would hate to lose them fully from mainstream TV.  It goes with the argument I used to have with the guitarist in our vintage R&B band who wanted every note played verbatim from the original records - I used to argue that the original musos (probably not the guys who cut the tracks anyway) would have taken them on the road and changed them up over time.  Hence wanting to see them further down the line live too.

Edited by Huge Hands
Clarity

28 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I love to see groups on TV in whatever way it can happen, even groups I don't like. I can accept that I am not going to like most of them but it is good to see them there. Would rather a different presenter, but will stick with anyone if that is the way it gets there. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I've just watched the Hootenanny on catch up as I was at a friend's house on NYE and they insisted on not watching TV until the fireworks, then we got the rest of the Madness gig.

My observations:

• It appeared to be a show of two house bands, Jools big band and Rudimental. I preferred the latter, which I am surprised to hear myself say.
  • I really liked the Hot 8 brass ensemble but it sounded like Earl was struggling to fill his Sousaphone with air, the bass seemed to drop/slow at times.
  • I was really impressed with Jess Glynne's vocal tone.
  • Marc Almond reminded me of someone's Dad trying to look cool with a load of hair dye and hoofing it through a karaoke.
  • I still don't like Gilson Lavis' drumming style to the point it bugs me. Why they didn't let Dave Swift play bass but kept Gilson on Chic astounds me.
  • Micky Bubbles is a cliche I shouldn't like, but he does have a great voice and makes it look effortless.
  • I liked the raw energy of The Record Company, and the way they got the crowd going on their second track.
  • I could feel myself switching off whenever it went Boogie Woogie, which this year seemed to be more than ever (every time Jools' band played).

I would like to add, before I get shot down in flames, these are only my personal opinions.  I don't doubt Gilson Lavis is a much better drummer than I ever hoped to be, but I would have loved to have seen a drummer like Rudimental's get a shot on that gig.  I also loved the original Tainted Love by Marc Almond, and I've never attempted to play anything bigger than a trombone, so imagine Sousaphone is quite difficult to play well.  I'm sure (and hope) these people are not losing sleep over what I think.

In summary, there were a few things I didn't like, but plenty that I did. I hope the show manages to continue in some format, but with less indulgence to Mr Holland's favourite style of music.  Having said that, if it was my show, I'd probably use every excuse to play my favourite stuff too... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Ok, so I've just watched the Hootenanny on catch up as I was at a friend's house on NYE and they insisted on not watching TV until the fireworks, then we got the rest of the Madness gig.

My observations:

• It appeared to be a show of two house bands, Jools big band and Rudimental. I preferred the latter, which I am surprised to hear myself say.

I was quite surprised to see Rudimental not mentioned in Dave's post earlier, especially when given your first observation.

In regard to Rudimental drumming... Beanie is Rudimental's drummer - a bit of a killer player... and some of you that have an interest in that sort of thing, may or may not know he is also on guitar/bass duties for Anne-Marie, who in turn was one of the original vocalists associated with Rudimental. I'm glad I got to see her performing with Rudimental before she found her own career taking off - the Blackpool gig they did in Winter Gardens (with all that bass going through the sprung dancefloor) is one of the gigs that I've been to that I'll never forget. Incredible vibe. On paper, I really shouldn't like the band - but I have found myself to really dig on pretty much everything that they have done. Anybody from the IEM thread will know that "Free" is one of my go to tracks for trying out an IEM... the bass and production on that track is truly staggering. (Emeli Sandie on lead vox)

Edited by EBS_freak

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I was really impressed with Jess Glynne's vocal tone

Funny that, I found myself hitting the mute button whenever she came on, way too nasal for me and a bit screamy sounding , still different strokes and all that , I agree with you about The Record Company though

I thought it was a good show. 

I didn't like everything, there were some things that maybe weren't my taste but thought were still very good (Buble being one of them, he certainly has a voice and knows how to entertain). Best thing for me was The Record Company, I thought they were great. I didn't go much on Rudimental or Chic to be honest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

To all the people moaning and slagging off Later. . . why do you bother watching? Shouldn't you be at least making an attempt to start the year doing something that makes you happy rather than the opposite?

I've started on the recording, I'm 20 mins in and unusally for me I've watched everything so far (tip: if you record it you can ff through the bits you don't like). Loved the start with the Hot 8. Reminds me of the guys I saw busking in NOLA last month. IMO you can't beat a bit of Boogie-Woogie. Just enough R&B in Yola's song to keep me interested and Jess Glynne always comes up with good tunes. The beardy US guys were my least favourite so far.

I ff through anything that isn't music and the interviews so they don't bother me at all.

Slagging stuff makes me happy 😊

Jess Glynne had a decent voice, Bublé not my cup of tea but good singer and a natural entertainer, Rudimental quite good, house band OK but the Chic stuff sounded poor (sorry but Jerry Barnes just doesn’t fit - hasn’t got the right groove for the gig and every time I hear them he overplays) and the house drummer just didn’t groove unless it was the boogie woogie stuff. Dave Swift sounded fine on both upright and electric. Junior Giscombe still has a fantastic voice. It’s a funny old world as The Record Company seems to have near-universal praise but bored me silly!

It would be interesting if anyone knew the process by which the production team/whatever for Jools Holland, chose the upcoming artists for appearance on the show. Presumably, they play it safe on NYE but on the other shows, there's an element of "talent spotting" out there.

16 minutes ago, casapete said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the bassist’s use of a capo in one of the songs by The Record Company ?

I really must watch this on catch up, was it a full capo or was it to alter the tuning, like capo the G D A strings to drop tune the E?

21 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I really must watch this on catch up, was it a full capo or was it to alter the tuning, like capo the G D A strings to drop tune the E?

Think it wasn’t a full capo Paul, probably as you say. I haven’t a clue how they’re used TBH!