Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Enjoyed it... I'd never heard of The Record Company but I was impressed and will investigate further. 

Wasn't keen on Jess Glynne's trousers. And Buble is a bit of mystery to me... my wife says that I need to be a menopausal woman to understand 😛

Nah, you only have to appreciate musical talent. The boy can sing. He has a musical and soulful voice rather than the shouting and yodeling that passes for singing at the moment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought. I'm also fully aware that liking one of Jools' programmes is far too contentious for Basschat........

Here's another - there were some wicked brass arrangements....

Just watched it, and thought it was great. Mr Buble surprised me, sang really well without that daft effect employed on some of his recent recordings. Not the world's strongest voice but well suited to the songs he did, and superbly backed by The R&B Orchestra. He certainly looked like he enjoyed it too.

As for the rest - Chic their usual brilliance, even without one of their keys players and regular drummer. George Ezra - really good, great band. I quite liked The Record Company (despite never having heard of them), Jess Glynne, and Rudimental were good (not sure about James Arthur though tbh). Loved Yola, will be checking out her album. Hot 8 Brass Band were entertaining, and really the only act which didn't impress me in some way was Marc Almond I'm afraid. When you seem to have trouble pitching stuff, don't jump around too, it's not going to help really....

Thought the R&B Orch were superb, one or two new faces in there too. Mr Swift was as brill as always, and loved the EUB. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

...pre-recorded toadying, ego-stroking cow poop at that.

They must be running a risk doing that, as about 75% of the audience are dead pool potentials. Would they re-record the show if someone who was in shot or (even worse) interviewed popped their clogs between the recording and NYE?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

They must be running a risk doing that, as about 75% of the audience are dead pool potentials. Would they re-record the show if someone who was in shot or (even worse) interviewed popped their clogs between the recording and NYE?

They probably use enough cameras so they can make a whole program avoiding a specific area of the audience, just in case.

2 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

You do know you can post old photos to Facebook?

A good few years ago around Christmas time i had a drink with a member of the Jools Holland band, I don’t know them personally but we have a mutual friend.

About two drinks in, I said “how’s prep going for the Hootenanny?” (Trying to sound cool...) And I was told that (for that year at least) it had been recorded in August.

It was like someone had told me Father Christmas wasn’t real all over again.

Edited by AndyTravis

Ah, I didnt read it it properly. He didnt actually say what I thought he said. 🙄

Jools’ Holland’s annual New Years Eve Hootenanny TV show will be broadcast tonight at 11.15pm on BBC2. Here I am during rehearsals with my fabulous Ibanez Premium BTB1826 six string bass ready for action! People ask me if I ever get nervous playing regularly on TV shows? My answer is, I only get nervous about all those heavy, swivelling TV lights hanging directly above my head! 😜 The guests on tonight’s show include Michael Bublé, Yola Carter, Junior Giscombe, Jess Glynne, Nile Rodgers, Marc Almond, and our very own Ruby Turner! I’ve been the house bassist on this acclaimed TV show for the past 25 years, and I feel most privileged to have played with so many legendary & iconic artists in the past quarter of a century. For those of you who are able to watch the show tonight, I hope you enjoy it, and wishing everyone a happy, healthy, successful & rewarding 2019!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I follow Dave Swift on Facebook. Yesterday afternoon he posted that he was doing some final hootenanny rehearsals. So it could have been recorded shortly before it was televised.

Could have been rehearsals for the 2019 NYE.

On 31/12/2018 at 11:42, PaulWarning said:

the problem with Jools is not the music, I accept I'm probably only going to like one artist per programme if I'm lucky, they have to try and cater for everyone, it's his, mostly, embarrassing interviews and his insistence on accompanying at least one act per programme on the piano with that smug look of his.

I think they need a change of presenter myself

Yes but who would play the boogie woogie version of everything ?

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I was 8, I broke something of my older brothers. He chinned me and then told me that mum and dad do the presents and Santa is just made up.

Your brother lied to you Andy. Never believe your brother. 

Santa is alive and well. He must be cause i got pressies and my brother doesn't live here :laugh1:🎅:laugh1:

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1