Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

38 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

What's the big green thing on top of Dave's rig? Doesn't look like the amp head as that looks to be underneath.

It's the controller for his Porter & Davies platform - a device which vibrates a platform you stand on while playing. This gives you the sensation of playing more loudly than you actually are, as you feel the vibrations through your feet /legs (apparently!) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

It's the controller for his Porter & Davies platform - a device which vibrates a platform you stand on while playing. This gives you the sensation of playing more loudly than you actually are, as you feel the vibrations through your feet /legs (apparently!) 

I met Dave a couple of years ago and he was full of praise for this setup!

On 18/10/2018 at 11:42, MacDaddy said:

A bunch of Indie halfwits, who are so talentless they are unable to join in with the opening theme, and instead just stand there with their arms folded.

A proponent of world music, never heard of before or since, producing some unintelligible atonal drivel, which nevertheless is lapped up by the audience less they be accused of racism for not liking it.

A former boy/girl band member trying to gain some real muso credibility to kickstart a solo career, but obviously finding live vocals a bit tough.

A former legend living on past glories, much loved by the audience who are obviously saddened that the legend is past their best and the voice is not what it was.

A re-formed but fatter and balder line up of a band, failing to make anyone interested in their new material.

Plus a painful ‘off the cuff’ chat with a ‘friend’ or celebrity in the crowd.

glad i didnt watch 😊

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Available from all Ann Summers stores 😀

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Meddle said:

Yola. Another 'next big thing' who sounds like a 50 year old Motown record. Where does he find them?

He was the smart one from Star Wars....they wrote him out so he's looking for a new career in music

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I've been enjoying it - great idea to have Jess Glynne and George Ezra on - decent up to date pop music along with Buble singing with the big band. Some great bass playing from Dave Swift. 

Great to see the bass player playing a Fretless Lakland 55/94? on the George Ezra single (rather than the fretted Precision mimed I've seen previously). 

I caught a bit of Madness just before the fireworks - Jools is a million times better!! 

You're on the wrong thread here buddy....you're only allowed in if you want to slate Jools or the ethnic/yoof/crumbly wannabes that are on it. Go start your own thread..... 😉

42 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

You're on the wrong thread here buddy....you're only allowed in if you want to slate Jools or the ethnic/yoof/crumbly wannabes that are on it. Go start your own thread..... 😉

I thought it was a good show. If you could not find something to enjoy amongst the many genres I would find it surprising. 

Guest bassman7755
On 29/12/2018 at 12:43, BreadBin said:

As much as I hate to sound negative - that looks like a really dull lineup. 

Only thing of interest from a bass playing pov was a couple of fills from chic bassist jerry barnes who is a monster player (as well as having some world class bass faces). 

13 hours ago, BassX2 said:

This is hilarious. I'll be recording hootenanny because I'm not dissatisfied with my own career haha. I'm sure all of you are doing far more impressive gigs tonight... let us all know what local pub, sorry I meant... venue,  you're playing at and I'm sure thousands of people will turn up. Happy new year you miserable lot :) 

We played a packed city centre pub, tickets only sold out to maximum capacity allowed, one of those gigs you'd have been happy playing for free but came home with a pocket full of cash to top the night off. 

I can watch Gregory porter and Ruby Turner on catch up, but I won't looking at the comments here. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BassX2 said:

Someone's got to start it. 

13 posts. Did you sign up especially for this thread or something?

EDIT: oh no. I see now. Yeah, funny that you should choose to weigh in on another Jools related thread.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Dave Swift - sponsorship - surely not!?

Was he playing a Warwick? 😁

Really not sure but it sounded great - very fat sound during Junior - Mama Used to Say. His EUB sounded good as well.

As did the Laklands from the guy in the George Ezra band. 

Jerry Barnes' sound is really too thin for Chic and apart from the occassional Marcus Miller/ Abe Laboriel esque fill was not audible or fat enough sounding - that instrumental break in Le Freak relies on the bass part to support it and it didn't (on my tele) - in fact I could barely hear it other than said fizzy fills. In some ways I was disappointed Dave Swift didn't play on it as his sound was far more appropriate. 

The guy playing with Rudimental used what looked like a version of a 50s P without pick guard on the Anita Baker song - that was also indistinct and not very audible. However the several Rudimental collaborations were great. 

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought. I'm also fully aware that liking one of Jools' programmes is far too contentious for Basschat........

Here's another - there were some wicked brass arrangements....

Unless I was seeing things, Dave Swift appeared to be using a reasonably well concealed music stand (Buble big band standards). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Really not sure but it sounded great - very fat sound during Junior - Mama Used to Say. His EUB sounded good as well.

As did the Laklands from the guy in the George Ezra band. 

Jerry Barnes' sound is really too thin for Chic and apart from the occassional Marcus Miller/ Abe Laboriel esque fill was not audible or fat enough sounding - that instrumental break in Le Freak relies on the bass part to support it and it didn't (on my tele) - in fact I could barely hear it other than said fizzy fills. In some ways I was disappointed Dave Swift didn't play on it as his sound was far more appropriate. 

The guy playing with Rudimental used what looked like a version of a 50s P without pick guard on the Anita Baker song - that was also indistinct and not very audible. However the several Rudimental collaborations were great. 

The whole show was extremely enjoyable I thought.

Interesting as I thought the bass tone one Junior's Mama Used To Say was horrible, thin and didn't fit the track at all. Didn't sound funky at all and was more of a distraction the playing was superb though.

4 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Interesting as I thought the bass tone one Junior's Mama Used To Say was horrible, thin and didn't fit the track at all. Didn't sound funky at all and was more of a distraction the playing was superb though.

It's a keyboard on the original - I thought he did a good job of it as it did have that fat but focussed sound to it - the opposite of Le Freak. 

Edited by drTStingray