Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ah, it's the old "why don't they play something *I* like?" litany again. Well, if the Yolanda in question is Yolanda Charles, I'd watch it just for her. I'd wager that she's a better bassist than the vast majority of us here.

The day I find live music to be no longer relevant, will be the day I sell all my gear and take up stamp collecting instead. The fact that everyone moans about different parts of his programme would tend to suggest that the balance is generally right.

/\  This. Beware, I can see a lot of posts on here leading to the inevitable "Am I alone in thinking..."

the problem with Jools is not the music, I accept I'm probably only going to like one artist per programme if I'm lucky, they have to try and cater for everyone, it's his, mostly, embarrassing interviews and his insistence on accompanying at least one act per programme on the piano with that smug look of his.

I think they need a change of presenter myself

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just had a look and there's a Yola on the show but no Yolanda. ?

Looks like the BBC got it a bit wrong on their listing. Yolanda is actually Yola ( aka Yola Carter ), an up and coming country / soul songstress whose first album ‘Walk through fire’ has been produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. Could be good.😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

the problem with Jools is not the music, I accept I'm probably only going to like one artist per programme if I'm lucky, they have to try and cater for everyone, it's his, mostly, embarrassing interviews and his insistence on accompanying at least one act per programme on the piano with that smug look of his.

I think they need a change of presenter myself

Chris Evans! 😬

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Well......yes. There's so little actual live music on the telly any more, its pretty much Jools Holland, Strictly Come Dancing and then the little one song features at the end of Sunday Politics, etc.......

Live music doesn't seem to be a big deal for tha yoot like it used to be and so broadcasters don't want to touch it with a bargepole

had the misfortune to have some of the Xmas TOTP's on, what a depressing experience, a succession of girl singers singing middle of the road computer generated (or so it seemed) songs, about the edgiest thing I heard was the sausage rolls song.

So, yes the Jools show is still needed, just not Jools

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Well......yes. There's so little actual live music on the telly any more, its pretty much Jools Holland, Strictly Come Dancing and then the little one song features at the end of Sunday Politics, etc.......

I didn’t say anything about live music, just Jools Holland.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

The day I find live music to be no longer relevant, will be the day I sell all my gear and take up stamp collecting instead. The fact that everyone moans about different parts of his programme would tend to suggest that the balance is generally right.

Again, didn’t say anything about live music. Just Jools.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, casapete said:

Looks like the BBC got it a bit wrong on their listing. Yolanda is actually Yola ( aka Yola Carter ), an up and coming country / soul songstress whose first album ‘Walk through fire’ has been produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. Could be good.😀

I saw Yola Carter at Red Rooster Festival earlier this year, having decided to actually get out of the house and find some new music instead of sitting on my derrière watching the TV and whinging about it. She has an excellent set of pipes, very powerful, and put on a great live show. I'll be watching it and hoping it goes well for her.

Barking Spiders, if you really don't know who Yolanda Charles is,  I suggest you go and find out before making a fool of yourself in front of everyone.

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Watch out though, they’ll replace him with Lauren Laverne.

...or Jo Whiley   😬

I'll be tuning in this evening as something usually surprises me such as Imelda May the other year; but if Jools does step aside (and I think he'll have to before they change the host - I rather think it's his show / production company that supplies the show to the BBC) who would you like to see take over and what changes do you think they'd bring in terms of musical focus?  I think the basic idea of getting groups / musicians in a room and recording a show of them playing live music is a great one.

Having been to a recording of one of these shows (the 25th anniversary show at RAH) I can vouch for how good the format is, or can be.  It was also the first gig my Son had been to and he'd never seen a top rock band in full flight.  Foo Fighters were the headline act that night and they definitely had a new fan by the end of the evening!

Jamie Cullum has been mentioned above as a serious alternative - could be a good shout in my opinion, although an honourable mention should go to Mark Radcliffe

I really liked the channel 4 series “live from abbey road” - a focused programme on a few acts. usually top flight. 

Im struggling to remember, might’ve been 3 bands per show. Think it was about 2003/4

I don’t know, jools Holland used to be better because bands/music used to be better? Or is that just nostalgic nonsense?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_from_Abbey_Road

Edited by AndyTravis

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Again, didn’t say anything about live music. Just Jools.

This is hilarious. I'll be recording it. I'm sure all of us are doing far more impressive gigs tonight... Happy new year you miserable lot :) 

Edited by BassX2
Typo