Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Just watching Another Sky on Jools Holland, intriguing.

Was that the band with a girl singing and b.vox by female bass player - a lot of them, lad playing a fender acoustic? Just switched over and missed their name...

god I hate Marc Almond.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Thanks 1

"Tenement Symphony" is a fabulous album, but it was a long time ago. The version of "Say hello wave goodbye" he did with Jools many years ago gave me goosebumps, it's beautiful. 

I saw him live a couple of years ago by chance at a festival, and I was told by my friends, who are fans, that he was amazing... I don't remember, for various reasons. 

I guess he's marmite, but he's a very flamboyant character and a very lovely chap, I'm sure Dave Swift would concur. 

There's room for everyone, even Nickelback.

• Like 3

I like the tone of his voice on some of the Soft Cell stuff, but for me he’s always struggled with his pitching when singing live. Some people can get away with this ( Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach, Rod Stewart maybe ), but for me Marc isn’t one of them.

• Like 1

Sot Cell along with early Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys among others were at the sappier and weedier end of the scale of synth pop stuff in the 80s. Even if did Almond sing about sleazy sex etc his thin strained and tune-free vocals combined with Dave Ball's £50 Casio from Dixons sound make me skip all SC tracks on 80s compilations. Dave Ball at least redeemed himself with The Grid.

7 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yes, at the bottom of the Marianas trench

My wife spent a day with nickelback and even wrote a song with them when she was at uni. 

Can’t remember how that came to be, i’ll Ask her.

my only retort when she regaled me with this story was “why didn’t you tell them to stop?!” - but I think at the time they were quite the big deal.

814BA39D-1439-4A97-BF9B-7A402D12B747.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
Evidence 😉

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I quite liked Nickelback. I thought they were an ok band. Not sure what the prob is and why they aren't liked ?

I'd read a bit about how vilified they are, in North America in particular, and then there was that poll about which was more popular, them or a gherkin. So I thought I'd check them out for myself. I can see why they attract so much dislike. It's not just that they peddle dull, plodding, derivative rock but that they've made zillions out of it and that the singer comes over as bit of a cockwomble. Mind you there are still thousands of other bands out there right now that are just as bad so I am still at a loss why Nickelback have been singled out .

9 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Why does everyone hate Creed? I thought they sounded ok... 

I don't know a huge amount about them but in the US I think a lot of the hatred comes from them riding on Pearl Jam's coat tails,  being preachy christians and the lead singer allegedly being a bit of an @rse. The music is pretty dull hand-me down grunge but I can't vouch for the other things