Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

watched episode 4 on catch up  and at the risk of sounding like a dirty old man I was captivated by Sigrid's performance and I like her songs too! I'm a red blooded male so i cant help it, sorry☺️ . Also quite enjoyed Rosalia, a bit different and quirky. And though not my usual bag Joe Bonamassa was pretty good too. So 3 acts to like ain't bad for me.

Sadly Bonamassa manages to steamroller anyone who plays with him, but he always has great bands. This time he's got two of the best session players in the states atm, Anton Fig on drums and Michael Rhodes on bass. Nice surprise to see such good players on Later.

A bunch of Indie halfwits, who are so talentless they are unable to join in with the opening theme, and instead just stand there with their arms folded.

A proponent of world music, never heard of before or since, producing some unintelligible atonal drivel, which nevertheless is lapped up by the audience less they be accused of racism for not liking it.

A former boy/girl band member trying to gain some real muso credibility to kickstart a solo career, but obviously finding live vocals a bit tough.

A former legend living on past glories, much loved by the audience who are obviously saddened that the legend is past their best and the voice is not what it was.

A re-formed but fatter and balder line up of a band, failing to make anyone interested in their new material.

Plus a painful ‘off the cuff’ chat with a ‘friend’ or celebrity in the crowd.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

A bunch of Indie halfwits, who are so talentless they are unable to join in with the opening theme, and instead just stand there with their arms folded.

A proponent of world music, never heard of before or since, producing some unintelligible atonal drivel, which nevertheless is lapped up by the audience less they be accused of racism for not liking it.

A former boy/girl band member trying to gain some real muso credibility to kickstart a solo career, but obviously finding live vocals a bit tough.

A former legend living on past glories, much loved by the audience who are obviously saddened that the legend is past their best and the voice is not what it was.

A re-formed but fatter and balder line up of a band, failing to make anyone interested in their new material.

Plus a painful ‘off the cuff’ chat with a ‘friend’ or celebrity in the crowd.

hah hah I'm guess you're talking about episode 3, in which case I fully agree.  One of the worst in recent years with absolutely nothing to going for it.  They really should stop dragging back these old lags from yesteryear, especially the 80s what with dreary current efforts put in by Echo ATB and Soft Cell.  And as for The Lemon Twigs, a band who encapsulate everything I detest about Indie. 

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

OK , will 'alternative rock' do?.

That'll do :lol:

I'm already familiar with the band, but it their 'Later...' appearance was my first expererience of them, I might have been a bit put off. They've certainly upped the theatricality somewhat. The older stuff was more like a prog Beach Boys.

11 minutes ago, Meddle said:

I've been aware of the Lemon Twigs for a while. From what I've seen before, they were the two gauche '70s-lite brothers on vocals/keys/guitars/drums, a girl playing a Rickenbacker bass, and a drummer that shifted onto keyboards (etc) when necessary. It looks like they've revamped the lineup, and 'The Lemon Twigs' is basically the two skinny awkward teenage kids; who come across like weirdly precocious home-schooled kids who were raised listening to nothing but Todd Rundgren, Pet Sounds, etc. All the twee crush-chords, harmonies and evocative, left-field key changes are there. 

I just don't think the song writing keeps up with the musical theory, so their music comes across, to my ears, as a sort of highschool band Humble Pie, endlessly playing well composed but ultimately forgettable 10CC B-sides. They thrash through those twisty chord changes like they know they are doing something clever and complex, but there is no heart to back it up. Part of their novelty, like Greta Van Fleet, is that they are surprisingly young kids making surprisingly competent music in a surprisingly retro manner and aesthetic. As such this makes them, for me, a novelty rather than an honest artistic endeavour. I find both bands both impressive and boring in equal measure.

The Lemon Twigs, on record, are just the two brothers. They write and play it all themselves, which does support the 'weird and precocious' theory somewhat! But I do love the music. I get a lot of 10cc vibes as well, particularly on the early material.

41 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just listened to the Lemon Twigs and thought they were pretty good to be honest. Not seen them before.

They supported he Arctic Monkeys and saw them in Sheffield. One brother was absent sick but they impressed me. The other brother with his "Iggy Pop" type moves put his heart and soul into his performance. Something a little different in todays world of "same-old rehashed"

32 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Lemon Twigs ... their music comes across, to my ears, as a sort of highschool band Humble Pie, endlessly playing well composed but ultimately forgettable 10CC B-sides. They thrash through those twisty chord changes like they know they are doing something clever and complex, but there is no heart to back it up..... novelty, 

Aye... While competent, I find they manage to both look annoying, and to play annoying music that sounds like a 70s novelty record.

Still, each to their own!

• Like 2