Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

52 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

John Grant, excellent as always and with Budgie on drums, double treat.

Damn, wish I hadn't missed that. An old mate of mine has been working with Budgie recently - he's one of my musical heroes. 

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Damn, wish I hadn't missed that. An old mate of mine has been working with Budgie recently - he's one of my musical heroes. 

Mine too. I blundered drunkenly into the wrong rehearsal room one afternoon and rather than the band I was working for I ended up in the Banshees rehearsal room, empty apart from Budgie. Being emboldened by the booze I asked him to play Land’s End (a drum pattern I much admire) which he did in exchange for a swig of Mezcal, top dude.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

excellent JG.

Normally I can't be doing with him at all...  His music seems moany and generally lacking in any sort of groove.

However, I liked him on Later - for the 1st time ever! It was neither miserable or groove-less!

Also enjoyed Easy Life,  but not Muse's Elbow tribute act.

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Normally I can't be doing with him at all...  His music seems moany and generally lacking in any sort of groove.

However, I liked him on Later - for the 1st time ever! It was neither miserable or groove-less!

I like very little music that isn’t moany, happiness is for dolts. I have to say I particularly liked that track because it grooved.

Echo And The Bunnymen left me cold. Quite like their 80's peak material, but thought they were sadly lacking. 2 Bunnymen and a load of faceless backing musicians....not really 'the' band. 

Mac had a cold....maybe explains why his voice sounded shot. Most alarming was the level of hair dye between him and Will! 😁

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Echo And The Bunnymen left me cold. Quite like their 80's peak material, but thought they were sadly lacking. 2 Bunnymen and a load of faceless backing musicians....not really 'the' band. 

Mac had a cold....maybe explains why his voice sounded shot. Most alarming was the level of hair dye between him and Will! 😁

A classic example of a band who've gone on too long and should've jacked it in when that 80s long overcoat indie sound died. Even their fanbase has shrivelled since they made their supposed comeback

We're all so different, as musicians, as musicians fans, which is totally brilliant. One guy likes something, the other guy doesn't, it's all good.

The question is.... is the TV show any good as a product? For me, Yes it is. In the absence of a better option I think Later is an essential product. If it was shut down, within 6 months folk would be demanding it back, just like with the Tube. Rose tinted specs fully engaged of course. These shows can always be better, but when there's nothing else....

The show concept is as good as ever, but I wonder if it just needs a reboot, or maybe the music industry is so *****d that there's not much worth seeing... or maybe I'm a bitter old man.

One of the above 

I'm desperate, and I think the industry is desperate, for the new punk to come along and tear it all to shreds and start over, because I for one am bored with it all.

I spent the weekend playing bass to Groove Armada records... in the absence of anything more inspiring. 

I wish I was Michael League.

Rant over

17 minutes ago, Rayman said:

We're all so different, as musicians, as musicians fans, which is totally brilliant. One guy likes something, the other guy doesn't, it's all good.

The question is.... is the TV show any good as a product? For me, Yes it is. In the absence of a better option I think Later is an essential product. If it was shut down, within 6 months folk would be demanding it back, just like with the Tube. Rose tinted specs fully engaged of course. These shows can always be better, but when there's nothing else....

The show concept is as good as ever, but I wonder if it just needs a reboot, or maybe the music industry is so *****d that there's not much worth seeing... or maybe I'm a bitter old man.

One of the above 

I'm desperate, and I think the industry is desperate, for the new punk to come along and tear it all to shreds and start over, because I for one am bored with it all.

I spent the weekend playing bass to Groove Armada records... in the absence of anything more inspiring. 

I wish I was Michael League.

Rant over

think you're probably right, there's nothing else out there like it, maybe a change of presenter would help Jools certainly gets on my tits.

I've been thinking for a while that it's been some time since anything big happened, it's either Rap or ballads these days it seems, tried watching a BBC4 program about Grime last night, they went on about the evolution of the Rap genre but it seemed pretty much the same to me apart from the words seemed even more incomprehensible and I had the subtitles switched on, but then, stuff you don't like does sound the same.

I starting to sound like my Dad :lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rayman said:

The question is.... is the TV show any good as a product? For me, Yes it is. In the absence of a better option I think Later is an essential product.

Absolutely.

Music programs should always have a place on TV. More the merrier.

I watched Later and I have to say, I can't remember anyone who was on it. This week just wasn't interesting to me, but every TV station should have a "Later" in its schedules.

Soz fellas but I think it's a bit of a case of rose-tinted specs here. Back in the 70s  - 90s we had TOTP, which was entertaining enough family viewing up to the late 80s; the OGWT was a bit too earnest for many and shows like The Tube  and The Word were pretty tacky and sometimes a bit gross.  Terry Christian was one of the most irritating people of the time with his nasal twang. Kate Pukerick was  a one-woman argument against immigration and then there were assorted posh airheads like Amanda de Cadenet who only got the job cos of who they were dating/married to. Hit Man and Her was bluddy dreadful. And MTV was too geared towards terrible nu-metal bands like Puddle of Mudd and Staind and woeful rap & r n b. Nope, I was more than glad when these shows bit the dust. If we have to have music on TV then keep Later, though it could do with some major rebooting, which should be enough. Bottom line is, younger people today generally  aren't the music 'fans' we used to be,  what with them having social media and gaming, so there possibly wouldn't be sufficient demand for more music TV.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

If we have to have music on TV then keep Later, though it could do with some major rebooting, which should be enough.

Later is fine. Irritating people are a fact of life. I live next to a particularly fine example but irritation is just something I/we all have to deal with. The problem is that TV people don't understand that just showing the performance is enough. They always insist on adding all that "interesting" TV stuff! Never mind that it is mostly irrelevant and usually detracts from the music.

We need more live music on TV of all sorts. Whether you or I like the particular content or presentation doesn't matter, someone will. With so much TV air time these days I would have thought that showing concerts, gigs and music programs would be a cheap and easy way of providing content, but as live music fans have always been poorly served by TV I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by chris_b

It's become less essential with each passing year for me, guess that's just age and their apparent continual refusal to accept there's been a healthy modern prog scene in the UK for years. Always used to be the odd programme with nothing that interested me, then it was 2 or 3 in a series. Now it's got to virtually an entire series (last one) with nothing much of interest for me. I haven't even felt enthused enough to check out the ones so far aired in the current series so there could have been a major shift in approach that I've missed but I doubt it. If it stopped I wouldnt miss it at all, so much stuff out there on youtube etc.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

...................... it's either Rap or ballads these days it seems, tried watching a BBC4 program about Grime last night, they went on about the evolution of the Rap genre but it seemed pretty much the same to me apart from the words seemed even more incomprehensible and I had the subtitles switched on, but then, stuff you don't like does sound the same.

I starting to sound like my Dad :lol:

No, you're spot on! I remember a few years back listening to an interview with 'Stormzy', and even he couldn't explain 'Grime'. 

'Emperors clothes?'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

Later is fine. Irritating people are a fact of life. I live next to a particularly fine example but irritation is just something I/we all have to deal with. The problem is that TV people don't understand that just showing the performance is enough. They always insist on adding all that "interesting" TV stuff! Never mind that it is mostly irrelevant and usually detracts from the music.

We need more live music on TV of all sorts. Whether you or I like the particular content or presentation doesn't matter, someone will. With so much TV air time these days I would have thought that showing concerts, gigs and music programs would be a cheap and easy way of providing content, but as live music fans have always been poorly served by TV I won't be holding my breath.

But the days when TV was the only medium for watching music are long gone. You Tube does more than a good enough job of making music vids and live footage available. I guess the BBC and independent broadcasters have done their research and found the music listening market is too fragmented and that younger listeners aren't sufficiently interested, which is why they aren't making music TV. Music isn't as culturally important to the younger crowds as it used to be in the 60s - early 2000s.

How long has television as we know it got left? Our next lounge TV will be a smart one after that there will be little point in me having free view or a licence other than being bound in by it, programming will become done via streaming services and jools will need to get a you tube or Netflix commission or something similar.