Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

On 14/06/2018 at 11:52, Barking Spiders said:

I wasn't old enough to be in the OGWT target demographic but having seen some re-runs on BBC4 it was hard going. All a bit earnest what with studious proggy musos and angsty American singer songwriter hippies 😉. I'm more inclined to the vapid fluffiness of TOTP with its glam bands comprising blokes who look like builders in big sparkly suits with lapels like Concorde wings. 

My big beef with Later is that the tone is generally a bit serious or at least reverential / deferential. I like my music enough but don't view its makers as special beings touched by the hand of God. Whenever I see anyone referring to some guitarist or other as 'a god' I want to knock some sense of proportion into their heads.

I guess really I was probably a bit too young for OGWT demographic but I loved it (that plasticine animation of Zappa's City of tiny lights was mesmerising at the time) and just assumed other music programmes in the future would be as good so it's been a fairly sad return on my watching investment in the subsequent years. Oh well.

On 14/06/2018 at 12:01, PaulWarning said:

I know what you mean, but my main gripe with TOTP was the miming, no attempt to even make a decent fist of it, there are a few clips of bands playing live (Bowie doing the Jean Genie is absolute gold) but in the main it was total miming, if we were lucky the singer had to sing live to the backing tape

I was just too young for most of OGWT, but having been bought the DVD box set, it is apparent to me that a lot of bands mimed on OGWT too.  Perhaps the singer sang live, but the rest of the band mimed in a lot of cases?

17 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I was just too young for most of OGWT, but having been bought the DVD box set, it is apparent to me that a lot of bands mimed on OGWT too.  Perhaps the singer sang live, but the rest of the band mimed in a lot of cases?

Absolutely. That was the situation which continued well into the 70's when eventually fully live stuff was introduced. Some fared better at the miming routine than others - seem to remember The Who and The NY Dolls as being a little err..'casual' with this😄

11 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Blues: Woke up dis mornin' and my woman was gone etc...

Blues song played backwards: my best friend's wife left him for me. Then I went to bed.

Country song played backwards: My dog came back to life. The cows milked themselves. Everything is brilliant and I'm loaded.

• Haha 1

On 15/06/2018 at 13:03, chris_b said:

Of course you can dislike Jerry Barnes. I don't mind him, but for me he gets way too slappy when the excitement rises.

It is very tedious though to have to keep wading through dozens of, "It's not Chic without Bernard" comments. It is Chic if Nile Rodgers wants it to be even though Bernard isn't there. I like that Nile is still gigging and doesn't live in a timewarp, even though so many Chic fans seem to.

But it isn't Chic, not just without him but also without Tony Thompson on drums and Alfa Anderson and Luci Martin on vocals. They were too definitive a line-up. Tony Thompson was a fantastic drummer and an inspiration to me. A master of the hi-hat -snare combination and his playing was tighter than a gnat's chuff

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I enjoyed this last night...

That's cool isn't it. I love to hear music like this sung in a local accent too rather than some Americanised drawl. Good stuff. 

Impressed he managed to rhyme "shenanigans" with "anger management" too - well done that man!

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Yeah, more of a character voice than an in tune one. Never thought much of them anyway.

As a yoot, I was into quite a lot 80s synth stuff - Human League, Heaven 17, pre stadium rock Simple Minds - but there were a few who I thought were giant pants back in the day and who clearly still are, #1 being Soft Cell. Marc Almond couldn't hold a tune in a bucket back then and on the Later evidence still can't.  And talk about weird looking! Dave Ball looked like he should be calling out bingo numbers at a Haven Holidays caravan park.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

As a yoot, I was into quite a lot 80s synth stuff - Human League, Heaven 17, pre stadium rock Simple Minds - but there were a few who I thought were giant pants back in the day and who clearly still are, #1 being Soft Cell. Marc Almond couldn't hold a tune in a bucket back then and on the Later evidence still can't.  And talk about weird looking! Dave Ball looked like he should be calling out bingo numbers at a Haven Holidays caravan park.

You Sir were quite obviously listening to precisely what I was listening to, those first two Human League albums, Penthouse and Pavement, Empires & Dance, Metamatic etc. couldn't really see the appeal of Soft Cell.

5 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

You Sir were quite obviously listening to precisely what I was listening to, those first two Human League albums, Penthouse and Pavement, Empires & Dance, Metamatic etc. couldn't really see the appeal of Soft Cell.

Sure thing! And I still listen to them. Do you? The Minds were great between Empires & Dance and New Gold Dream. Yello and Propaganda were my faves though. You a fan of A Secret Wish or early Yello albums like Stella? Never keen on Depeche Mode or Vince Clark's other duos either

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

Sure thing! And I still listen to them. Do you? The Minds were great between Empires & Dance and New Gold Dream. Yello and Propaganda were my faves though. You a fan of A Secret Wish or early Yello albums like Stella? Never keen on Depeche Mode or Vince Clark's other duos either

Human League (first two albums), Heaven 17 (first album, John Foxx, Simple Minds (Life In A Day - New Gold Dream), loved Propaganda, huge fan of Yello, all of it. DM had their moments  but never consistently got on with them, Violater is good. I'm not sure I ever heard Secret Wish. All of these albums are still on serious rotation with me (along with Kraftwerk, obv) apart from Propaganda, just going to look into sourcing some right now so thanks for the reminder.

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Just to get the thread back on track...

I think Marc's had those cheek implants that change your appearance from t₩@t to complete t₩@t.  

9 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Also apart from one act the show plumbed new depths. I think it's been said before that JH has no $h1t filter but seriously,  an act that just shouts accompanied by noise?

sounds like my Dad when he first heard Hendrix :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No mention of Jon Cleary?

The musical high point of the last 5 years?

Finally, a decent band on Later!

I watched it as well - and agreed, Jon Cleary and band were great.

As were Muse - in fact the whole programme was good. 

And all with audible bass.

Great stuff. 

• Like 1