Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:53, stingrayPete1977 said:

James with some bad drumming, stood around in a circle like they were in a rehearsal room, At least there was a Stingray 5. Why does it take twenty people to play a song we could cover with our four piece function band? 

St Vincent, OK ish, nice outfit, second song was better, Prince lives on. Kudos for getting a musicman model. Nice jam with the other band's sax player. (from her album). 

A jazz prog outfit, not my thing. At least there was a double bass. 

Daniel Blumberg,  double bass with a misery stick looks promising..... I'm waiting for it to start...... Still waiting, sounds like a radio head b side I'm fast forwarding. 

James playing their Greatest Hit.  Duller than duller than dull.

St. Vincent - the Emperor's New Clothes.  Style over substance.

And then, finally.....music broke out.  Kamasi Washington. More please.

Daniel Bloomberg, bland singer/songwriter.  Wetter than an otter's pocket. Even the DB couldn't keep me awake for that one.

Amazing the variety of views you get on a forum, innit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I know what you mean, but my main gripe with TOTP was the miming, no attempt to even make a decent fist of it, there are a few clips of bands playing live (Bowie doing the Jean Genie is absolute gold) but in the main it was total miming, if we were lucky the singer had to sing live to the backing tape

The Sex Pistols playing Pretty Vacant & New York live on their comeback in `96 was pretty good too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mikel said:

More musicians on here knocking performing musicians on tv, no change there then. Dont watch it if you dont like it.

Cant tell if you like something until you try it though. I watch it every week in the hope i will find something i like. Normally i will find one or two act's i enjoy, but there seems to be so much dross its hard to look at the program as being representative of the music scene. 

IME a few of the the 'alternative' acts dont even deserve knocking, let along screen time or a name check.

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I really must get round to watching the last two episodes, I'm really glad it's not like the good old days though, when I had to sit though the whole of the Old Grey Whistle in the hope of seeing the odd good act, at least we've got fast forward buttons now, count your blessing you youngsters

Just out of interest, I'm sure I found Bob Harris on the radio while driving home one night. Sadly, country and western so he wasn't on for long?

15 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

Just out of interest, I'm sure I found Bob Harris on the radio while driving home one night. Sadly, country and western so he wasn't on for long?

Never been convinced on Bob's supposed affinity with country - think he was given that job after they stopped his other programme, and he maybe decided to embrace it rather than the alternative. ( Haven't heard anyone call it 'country and western' for a while though 🙂 )

Edited by casapete

9 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

My big beef with Later is that the tone is generally a bit serious or at least reverential / deferential.

Thought Chic ( and also Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats ) did their best to make it a bit more jolly this week though.

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Never been convinced on Bob's supposed affinity with country - think he was given that job after they stopped his other programme, and he maybe decided to embrace it rather than the alternative. ( Haven't heard anyone call it 'country and western' for a while though 🙂 )

To be honest I was expecting someone to say 'country' and 'country and western' are different?🙄

Apparently, if Wikipedia is to be believed, Bob Harris has been running his Country Music show since 1998.

On the whole I think Bob Harris plays pretty good music on his shows. He also champions live music so he's a good'un in my book.

• Like 3

I flipped though 5 and 6 on iPlayer and gave every act a couple of minutes. The only one i let play all the way through was Kamasi Washington. Excellent stuff. great rhythm section with the guy on stand up bass. Best act by several hundred country miles. Don't get the fuss about St Vincent. Nowt of interest there. Move on. I also feel a tinge of sadness when a once great act seems to p1$$ over their legacy and such as is the case with Nile  Rogers. The woman in the green dress has an awful voice though the new track is weak anyway. The guy on bass is fine enough but he ain't Bernard. Other people maybe able to play the right notes  in Chic basslines but no one has managed to get his feel and groove.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I flipped though 5 and 6 on iPlayer and gave every act a couple of minutes. The only one i let play all the way through was Kamasi Washington. Excellent stuff. great rhythm section with the guy on stand up bass. Best act by several hundred country miles. Don't get the fuss about St Vincent. Nowt of interest there. Move on. I also feel a tinge of sadness when a once great act seems to p1$$ over their legacy and such as is the case with Nile  Rogers. The woman in the green dress has an awful voice though the new track is weak anyway. The guy on bass is fine enough but he ain't Bernard. Other people maybe able to play the right notes  in Chic basslines but no one has managed to get his feel and groove.

Totally agree with the Chic comments about the female vocalist, awful high pitched, sounded like she was on helium, I was disappointed because I do like the band.

My neighbour went to see them at Blenheim Palace last night and said they were excellent.

Of course you can dislike Jerry Barnes. I don't mind him, but for me he gets way too slappy when the excitement rises.

It is very tedious though to have to keep wading through dozens of, "It's not Chic without Bernard" comments. It is Chic if Nile Rodgers wants it to be even though Bernard isn't there. I like that Nile is still gigging and doesn't live in a timewarp, even though so many Chic fans seem to.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

This. I suspected they'd be peddling a new song - what the hell have Chic got to offer these days apart from their superb back catalogue? Nile and Jerry Barnes want whipping with the curly ends of an old set of Bernard's strings. Barnes is about as subtle as a fart in a spacesuit. Clearly Nile's QC was missing the day he employed him.

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

Of course you can dislike Jerry Barnes. I don't mind him, but for me he gets way too slappy when the excitement rises.

It is very tedious though to have to keep wading through dozens of, "It's not Chic without Bernard" comments. It is Chic if Nile Rodgers wants it to be even though Bernard isn't there. I like that Nile is still gigging and doesn't live in a timewarp, even though so many Chic fans seem to.

I don't want him to be Bernard I just don't like his playing, I don't like his tone, his slap or his semi tone out show boat things, lol. 

Actually managed to watch all of the latest half hour episode without fast forwarding through anything other than Chas'n'Dave.

Gaz Coombes was really good, Nakhane was really good, Chic were good, the Americana one with the Ripper bass was a decent song, and Goat Girl were alright (very mid-90's indie IMO).

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Actually managed to watch all of the latest half hour episode without fast forwarding through anything other than Chas'n'Dave.

Gaz Coombes was really good, Nakhane was really good, Chic were good, the Americana one with the Ripper bass was a decent song, and Goat Girl were alright (very mid-90's indie IMO).

Yes, one of the best for a long time. Nothing I wanted to turn over for. Chas is suffering with a chest infection and has been cancelling gigs - usually they would hold their own on a show like that (light & shade IMO), but he really wasn't on form.

On 14/06/2018 at 21:01, casapete said:

We like both kinds of music here, Country and Western

(Well someone had to say it.)

• Like 1

On 14/06/2018 at 21:01, casapete said:

I felt the same when he first 'turned' country , but he really knows his stuff , he knows all the links and collaborations in the genre and when I hear him interview people they sound interested in what he says . Now, he could be bluffing it or just being totally professional , either way I guess he is doing his job and I reckon he would ditch it if he wasn't interested in it. 

7 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I felt the same when he first 'turned' country , but he really knows his stuff , he knows all the links and collaborations in the genre and when I hear him interview people they sound interested in what he says . Now, he could be bluffing it or just being totally professional , either way I guess he is doing his job and I reckon he would ditch it if he wasn't interested in it. 

Blues: Woke up dis mornin' and my woman was gone etc...

Country: Woke up dis mornin' and my woman was gone and the cows needed milkin' etc...

I thought Nakhane was great - really different and interesting, and loved his bright yellow platform shoes.

Chas N Dave aren't for me tho.

Glad to see a couple of short scale basses tho - (Gaz Coombes' bassist had a musicmaster, and Goat Girl had a PJ Mustang). I've just bought a MIJ Mustang and suddenly starting to notice them.

On 15/06/2018 at 16:37, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't want him to be Bernard I just don't like his playing, I don't like his tone, his slap or his semi tone out show boat things, lol. 

It’s  not chic without Sylver Sharp Logan either