Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

On 5/16/2018 at 22:53, DrBike said:

I saw that and thought the same thing.  However I guess if you can do that why not?

I also thought that Nicky Wire looked like a tired old bloke pretending to be a rock star, but maybe that's his "thing".

Apparently his dad has been very ill, they had a dep in for him at the Big Weekend festival in Belfast

On 16/05/2018 at 16:51, chris_b said:

I watch Later. Actually, I record it and ff through the stuff I don't like. I sometimes see a band that I like.

I've no idea why people like the stuff I don't, but they seem to, so why should I call their music crap and slag off one of the only music programs on TV?

I'm in favour of the TV companies filling their schedules with live music. We need more.

Later is a good program and TV would be the poorer if it was cancelled.

Seems to me music in general and live music in particular is a bit of a niche taste and that broadcasting companies are only responding to demand.  BARB viewing stats bear this out with Later not even among BBC2s 30 most watched, coming way below repeats of Dad's Army, snooker, Eggheads and progs to do with the countryside.  So, don't think any TV company will be in a rush to stick on more music unless it's chart fodder.

• 3 weeks later...

James with some bad drumming, stood around in a circle like they were in a rehearsal room, At least there was a Stingray 5. Why does it take twenty people to play a song we could cover with our four piece function band? 

St Vincent, OK ish, nice outfit, second song was better, Prince lives on. Kudos for getting a musicman model. Nice jam with the other band's sax player. (from her album). 

A jazz prog outfit, not my thing. At least there was a double bass. 

Daniel Blumberg,  double bass with a misery stick looks promising..... I'm waiting for it to start...... Still waiting, sounds like a radio head b side I'm fast forwarding. 

9 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

James with some bad drumming, stood around in a circle like they were in a rehearsal room, At least there was a Stingray 5. Why does it take twenty people to play a song we could cover with our four piece function band? 

St Vincent, OK ish, nice outfit, second song was better, Prince lives on. Kudos for getting a musicman model. Nice jam with the other band's sax player. (from her album). 

A jazz prog outfit, not my thing. At least there was a double bass. 

Daniel Blumberg,  double bass with a misery stick looks promising..... I'm waiting for it to start...... Still waiting, sounds like a radio head b side I'm fast forwarding. 

Yeah James sounded as if they'd been asked to play Sit Down at the last minute - under rehearsed?

You know exactly what you're getting with St Vincent these days. 

18 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't even play the bits where he's sat at the piano or talking to someone. 

Does it matter if we moan about it, we don't pay per post or thread or anything, if you don't like this thread why read it every week? See what I did there? ;)

I dont read it every week, it popped back up near the top of the threads so I thought I may have missed something special. No, just a load of moaning. See what I did there?

Edited by mikel
Adition

11 hours ago, mikel said:

More musicians on here knocking performing musicians on tv, no change there then. Dont watch it if you dont like it.

Commenting on and discussing music and bass related stuff is surely what the entire forum consists of, isn’t that what we are all doing here? Perhaps we should rename the site Basschtum.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we shouldn’t discuss the acts or the program etc, but there is a lot of posts to the effect of ‘the program is awful, all the acts are awful, may as well be canned’ just because that person doesn’t like any of the music. 

The program should stay, all of the acts mean a lot to someone....just not you perhaps. Turn to your preferred way of discovering music instead. And yes, there is a LOT of amazing music happening at the moment in all genres, don’t think so? You’re not trying hard enough to search it out. 

Si

12 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't even play the bits where he's sat at the piano or talking to someone. 

Does it matter if we moan about it, we don't pay per post or thread or anything, if you don't like this thread why read it every week? See what I did there? ;)

Because moaning /dissing stuff is the lifeblood of humanity and this forum  😉

I really must get round to watching the last two episodes, I'm really glad it's not like the good old days though, when I had to sit though the whole of the Old Grey Whistle in the hope of seeing the odd good act, at least we've got fast forward buttons now, count your blessing you youngsters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I really must get round to watching the last two episodes, I'm really glad it's not like the good old days though, when I had to sit though the whole of the Old Grey Whistle in the hope of seeing the odd good act, at least we've got fast forward buttons now, count your blessing you youngsters

I wasn't old enough to be in the OGWT target demographic but having seen some re-runs on BBC4 it was hard going. All a bit earnest what with studious proggy musos and angsty American singer songwriter hippies 😉. I'm more inclined to the vapid fluffiness of TOTP with its glam bands comprising blokes who look like builders in big sparkly suits with lapels like Concorde wings. 

My big beef with Later is that the tone is generally a bit serious or at least reverential / deferential. I like my music enough but don't view its makers as special beings touched by the hand of God. Whenever I see anyone referring to some guitarist or other as 'a god' I want to knock some sense of proportion into their heads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I wasn't old enough to be in the OGWT target demographic but having seen some re-runs on BBC4 it was hard going. All a bit earnest what with studious proggy musos and angsty American singer songwriter hippies 😉. I'm more inclined to the vapid fluffiness of TOTP with its glam bands comprising blokes who look like builders in big sparkly suits with lapels like Concorde wings. 

My big beef with Later is that the tone is generally a bit serious or at least reverential / deferential. I like my music enough but don't view its makers as special beings touched by the hand of God. Whenever I see anyone referring to some guitarist or other as 'a god' I want to knock some sense of proportion into their heads.

I know what you mean, but my main gripe with TOTP was the miming, no attempt to even make a decent fist of it, there are a few clips of bands playing live (Bowie doing the Jean Genie is absolute gold) but in the main it was total miming, if we were lucky the singer had to sing live to the backing tape

17 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Moaning and dissing is pretty much the raison d'être of humanity.

..not forgetting  griping, complaining and whingeing!  Show me someone who's never whinged/moaned/griped  and I'll show you a fibber or a saint. It does irk me though how some members of the PC Thought Police confuse expressing a negative opinion about someone/thing with moaning. Most of us at least balance this with positive views about things we like, objectively appreciate or respect. 

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I know what you mean, but my main gripe with TOTP was the miming, no attempt to even make a decent fist of it, there are a few clips of bands playing live (Bowie doing the Jean Genie is absolute gold) but in the main it was total miming, if we were lucky the singer had to sing live to the backing tape

Total miming should be compulsory for some acts, Florence and the machine for a start. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2