Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

sounding great on that Fodera!

Si

Didn’t he just. Great advert for them, or at least those pickups. Mind you that Aguilar rig isn’t too shabby either. A helluva lot of money tied up in that bass and rig - kerching!

1. Snow Patrol - an act well past their sell-by date.

2. A rap act. I was hopeful a few years ago that all the rap acts were going to kill each other in drive-bys. Sadly it hasn't worked out.

3. Tower of Power. Underwhelmed with this lot even if the bass playing was lovely.

4. An old lady singing a Dylan song to Jools' piano accompaniment.

5. A new band from sarff London with a man in a boiler suit aka the filler.

6. Female with acoustic guitar.

7. Snow Patrol doing that much retired pub song.

8. zzzzzzzzzzzz

On 11/05/2018 at 20:32, spectoremg said:

1. Snow Patrol - an act well past their sell-by date.

2. A rap act. I was hopeful a few years ago that all the rap acts were going to kill each other in drive-bys. Sadly it hasn't worked out.

3. Tower of Power. Underwhelmed with this lot even if the bass playing was lovely.

4. An old lady singing a Dylan song to Jools' piano accompaniment.

5. A new band from sarff London with a man in a boiler suit aka the filler.

6. Female with acoustic guitar.

7. Snow Patrol doing that much retired pub song.

8. zzzzzzzzzzzz

9. Your band. Oh wait...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Why bother watching then?!

Because every so often something comes up which I hadn't heard about elsewhere and looks worth investigating. Sadly its been a case of diminishing returns for a few series now.

• Like 1

Just watched it on catch up. Thought Tower of Power were very good, but a little bit too frantic / muso for my tastes if you know what I mean. Bass sounded great though! Surprised how much I enjoyed Plan B, although a bit baffled as to the white face paint?!! Betty Lavette was okay, and Jools didn't play all over her. As for Shame, didn't get it at all, but then again I'm probably not supposed to.xD

Looking forward to the next few editions, still a great music programme after all this time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I watched week one on iPlayer last night - nothing I heard made me want to investigate further - I was impressed by the lad from Plan B and his positive action in setting up a scheme to help 'troubled' youths via music education.

Is this still a thing? I remember years ago when my daughters school used to get regular visits from the  "escaping gang culture through music" chaps.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Looking forward to seeing The Manic Street Preachers on Joolz  this eve

And was a bit disappointed to see 2 other guitarists doing most of what JDB does, with him only playing in certain parts of the songs. Not a fault of the show I should add.

Thought I'd give ep 2 a chance but regretted it, yet again. When will I ever learn.  Went back to to ep 1 and watched ToP again but was less impressed this time yet I'm a fan of their first 5 albums, well the more upbeat tracks anyway. Always felt they sounded a bit sappy with the slow soul numbers. Anyway, as ever the playing on Later was gnat's ar$e tight but for me it didn't swing enough like the best funk tunes do.

• Like 1

I watch Later. Actually, I record it and ff through the stuff I don't like. I sometimes see a band that I like.

I've no idea why people like the stuff I don't, but they seem to, so why should I call their music crap and slag off one of the only music programs on TV?

I'm in favour of the TV companies filling their schedules with live music. We need more.

Later is a good program and TV would be the poorer if it was cancelled.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And was a bit disappointed to see 2 other guitarists doing most of what JDB does, with him only playing in certain parts of the songs. Not a fault of the show I should add.

I saw that and thought the same thing.  However I guess if you can do that why not?

I also thought that Nicky Wire looked like a tired old bloke pretending to be a rock star, but maybe that's his "thing".

• 2 weeks later...