Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1509978644' post='3402976']
My main beef with Later is they always play it safe, with the same old tired , identikit indie guitar bands, sensitive folky strummers and beardy Americana geezers. All very tame and inoffensive. Just wish they'd book some acts with a bit of balls that could tear the place down like some bonkers metal band, a hip hop combo with a bad attitude or cutting edge electronica.There's quite a lot around to choose from.
[/quote]

I remember on one of my infrequent sojourns The Darkness coming on...this has to around the time of the first album, perhaps before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrRqFZYwNo

just watched last weeks episode ( I record the extended show) must say I was quite impressed by Noel, far far better than his knob head brother, even the usually tow curling interview was ok, Noel has an very welcome air of self depreciation about him, Didn't think the first song was particularly like Ca Plane Pour Moi.
I suppose it depends whether you liked Oasis I suppose, a lot of BCer's didn't seem to rate them I thought they were ok

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1509986541' post='3403058']
Saw Von Hertzen Brothers last night, great show. Exactly the sort of thing Jools should have on to pep things up while they are in the country. Never happen of course.
[/quote]

I was once pleasantly surprised to see Mastodon and Underworld some time within the last few years though not on the same show. These aren't the usual sort of band Later shows however

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1510050843' post='3403460']
I was once pleasantly surprised to see Mastodon and Underworld some time within the last few years though not on the same show. These aren't the usual sort of band Later shows however
[/quote]

What is "The usual sort of stuff"? I think they have covered a pretty diverse range of music. It's a music show, its bound to be subjective.

Reading back through the thread so far, it seems that apparently Later is crap for the following reasons (some of them slightly paraphrased):[list]
[*]The bands are too extreme or boring.
[*]There's no rock, metal or prog.
[*]It's not the Old Grey Whistle Test.
[*]It's too diverse and lumpy.
[*]It's mostly about veterans, indie bands and quirky singers from islands somewhere.
[*]It's too polite and needs edge and energy.
[*]The acts are only on because they have an album to plug.
[*]It's over the hill and stuffy.
[*]There are far more well known and popular genres that don't get on it.
[*]It needs a more diverse range of music.
[*]It's trendy and pretentious.
[*]It's not my taste in music.
[/list]
I think that last one sums it up perfectly. It's crap because it doesn't have the stuff that *I* like. :rolleyes:
Although I suppose if it's simultaneously too trendy/pretentious AND over the hill/stuffy, it must be doing something right :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1510055162' post='3403544']
Reading back through the thread so far, it seems that apparently Later is crap for the following reasons (some of them slightly paraphrased):[list]
[*]It's mostly about veterans, indie bands and quirky singers from islands somewhere.
[/list]
I think that last one sums it up perfectly. It's crap because it doesn't have the stuff that *I* like. :rolleyes:
Although I suppose if it's simultaneously too trendy/pretentious AND over the hill/stuffy, it must be doing something right :lol:
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1510055162' post='3403544']
[/list]
[/quote]

While it's a bit of a generalisation, I believe the main gripe tends to be that the format allows for bands like the aforementioned Albanian folksters Saz'iso to appear on the same bill as Noel Gallagher (or similar). A quick scan down the episode list (here, folks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Later..._with_Jools_Holland_episodes), shows dozens and dozens of bands/artistes that have had their shimmering ten minutes of BBC fame, ne'er been seen or heard of again.

I just don't have a pretentious single-worded synonym to sum this show up, but the bill always seems to be inconsistent and unpredictable.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1510061740' post='3403622']
While it's a bit of a generalisation, I believe the main gripe tends to be that the format allows for bands like the aforementioned Albanian folksters Saz'iso to appear on the same bill as Noel Gallagher (or similar).
[/quote]

Personally I feel that it is a strength of the programme that Albanian Folk gets a berth alongside other more 'mainstream' acts; I'd agree that Later can be inconsistent, but thinking back to the Tube and OGWT those programmes were also inconsistent, for me where the Tube scored highly was - at least for a time, there was a sense of spontaneity. The OGWT was before my time, but for every classic clip shown, I'd venture that there was plenty best forgotten..

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1510169362' post='3404478']
Rose tinted glasses at work - Jools has plenty of golden moments. At The Drive In - 2000? Alice In Chains - 1991/2? Bloc Party in 2005 were great when they made their debut.
[/quote]

Quite. Add to that Seasick Steve, Christine and The Queens, Pokie Lafarge and KT Tunstall. All acts he brought to my personal attention.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1510172601' post='3404506']
Quite. Add to that Seasick Steve, Christine and The Queens, Pokie Lafarge and KT Tunstall. All acts he brought to my personal attention.
[/quote]

Yup, agreed. Mine include St Paul and the Broken Bones, Chatham County Line, Amy Winehouse and Adele, amongst many others.

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1510169362' post='3404478']
Rose tinted glasses at work - Jools has plenty of golden moments. At The Drive In - 2000? Alice In Chains - 1991/2? Bloc Party in 2005 were great when they made their debut.
[/quote]

It's been going 25 years and that's the best you can come up with? :)

For every At The Drive In, there's been dozens of Ali Faka Toure, Matilda Veindad and Black Umfolosi.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1510230337' post='3404777']
when you think how many bands there are and how many make it it's not surprising most of them are never heard of again
[/quote]

It has always been so. Probably more so in the 60s and 70s when every one I knew was in a band with there mates. The chances of "Making it"? Almost zero.

• 5 months later...

I was watching something on the Now TV box last night and then turned back to my normal service without remembering what channel I’d left it on previously. It was a music program with a band laying down some awesome funk. And what a mix, everything just right, with the bass nicely audible. This can’t be the BBC I thought to myself, wrong. Later is back and the band were Tower of Power. David Garibaldi back on drums with Marc Van Wageningen on bass (no Rocco :( but Marc is just as brilliant :) ). I’m now looking forward to the extended show on Sunday. Other acts included Snow Patrol & Plan B, TBH I just fast forwarded but the mix was still very good - about time.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2017 at 23:08, pete.young said:

Whatever you think of Jools, surely you have to admit that 'Sounds Like Friday Night' has redefined the concept of crap music tv shows.

Hell yes.  What a load of tosh. Kylie was on last week boy is her voice weak and all over the place. No wonder she has so many backing singers she couldnt carry a song in a bucket. Just show that if you get most of your kit off or wear lots of fancy frocks you can make it in pop music. It works for women also, so I am told.

• Like 1