Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

I also watch it on iplayer and skip through until something appeals.

I think the show does it's job, i.e. it presents a variety of current stuff and leaves it up to you to like or not. It does showcase artistes that probably wouldn't come to my attention elsewhere without time and effort on my part. And having just looked up: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_music"]https://en.wikipedia...iki/World_music[/url] the time and effort in me are lacking.

The point made about Zappa is odd as his work is so diverse. He certainly provided contrast at the time, (60's - 70's), and humour.

And the point about has-been-old-timers; well I like to see them pop up now and again and find out what they're up to nowadays.

Poor old Jools got a bit of stick here: [url="https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/08/later-with-jools-holland-cockroach-schedules"]https://www.theguard...roach-schedules[/url]

Edited by grandad

There seems to be, in some cases, an odd expectation that a program should be full of acts, every week, that everybody likes?!?
It's also worth noting that most, if not all, of the acts on Jools have played a LOT of gigs and sold a LOT of music. Clearly this shows that whether you like an act or not, they are popular with someone.
For what it's worth, I probably like maybe 20-30% of the music on Jools, probably about right for a randomly selected group of acts, but it has certainly been the place where I have discovered some amazing acts. For example I first discovered Richard Bona (playing solo, look that up, beautiful) on there, as well as Nickel Creek & The Staves.

If you don't already, it's almost certainly worth giving something more than 30secs, if you want to discover music, invest time in the process, let things grow on you. So many people now say there's no decent Rock or whatever, that's so far from the state of the industry, there's more than ever, you just have to invest in the time and effort to find it. Worth it though.

Si

If i watch it i usually watch it all the way thru to see if there is anything worthwhile and last weeks there was nothing that i particularly enjoyed.
To be honest most times i watch it i find the same thing.
Its extremely rare i find an act i really enjoy.

I used to consider myself as having quite a varied taste in music but i guess its not as varied as i thought.
Its not particulary the styles of music i don't enjoy but more down to the majority of the acts just don't entertain me at all.

Dave

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1509492078' post='3399471']
Noel Gallagher - did he 'borrow heavily' from Plastic Bertrand's Ca Plane pour moi or was it just me?
[/quote]

Nice use of a pair of pinking shears / scissors by one of the ladies in his band too.....

First few riffs of NG's HFB song, I thought they were going to burst into a T-Rex song. He does tend to "be influenced by" 70's Glam Rock. Though on saying that he's still far more original than his brothers half arsed attempts. Thought the HFB Bassist was good.

Nice to see Aimee Mann on.

Dua Lipa was good, though I think the guy playing keyboards & bass should have taken the price tag off the bass he was playing. Very good drummer.

Superorganism were dull, arty pap... "catchy, hook-laden pop songs in a groundbreaking choreographed style"? Nope.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509560781' post='3399947']
I honestly thought that Noel Gallaghers son was a cover, it sounded so familiar. Really surprised that`s one of his own.
[/quote]
Holy Mountain? I heard it on the radio and thought it was Underworld or something that Karl Hyde had done with Eno a while back.

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1509492078' post='3399471']
Noel Gallagher - did he 'borrow heavily' from Plastic Bertrand's Ca Plane pour moi or was it just me?
[/quote]
[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1509497666' post='3399500']
or Jet Boy Jet Girl
[/quote]
I heard some of Bowie's Diamond Dogs in there; was definitely 'influenced' by others. I think the lady on the scissors is his new girlfriend who just wants to be in on the act. They've copied the Beatles so closely in the past, now they've got their own Yoko Ono...

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1509902713' post='3402479']
I think the lady on the scissors is his new girlfriend who just wants to be in on the act. They've copied the Beatles so closely in the past, now they've got their own Yoko Ono...
[/quote]

That's harsh, but I smirked...a lot..!!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Superorganism..... utterly dire. A puerile attempt at art school rock which failed dismally.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And Jose Feliciano didnt seem to be allowed to do much, did he?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :D[/font][/color]

I haven't watched Later... for a long long time, so with my wife departed for bed and a coffee to finish I was scanning the channels for something that wasn't Wheeler Dealers or How It's Made.

And jeepers. Nothing really changes for Jools vanity show. I tuned in as Aimee Mann was finishing up. Bland and my only actual thought was she looked horribly thin, unhealthily so. Next up, Saz'iso a folk band from Albania. Christ on a bike, I [i]really [/i]need to look them up. That at the end of their performance people in the audience were actually whooping made me extremely sad as they were just so terrible.

Next up, Noel Gallagher. Left me cold. Was that woman playing scissors? Finally, for me at least, there was a Superorganism, a band that NME (rest it's soul) describe as 2017 Buzziest Band. It was at this juncture I decided it was time for bed.

All this does raise the question of how the hell does this show stay on air? I honestly doubt anyone who watches it on broadcast will actually utter the words, 'Ooh, they're good,' after each performance. I'd also doubt anyone who records this horrific mash-up of world music actually isn't reaching for the remote after the first act or two. There's such a lack of consistency; juxtaposition this (if you have a memory that long) to something like The Tube, a live show that knew it's audience and you were pretty much certain that you'd hold out until C4's News at 7.00pm.

The other thing is, we gig a lot and the majority of the bands under and over us would knock every band on that show out of the field of play. Christ, my band would knock all of these bands for six.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1509914039' post='3402602']
I haven't watched Later... for a long long time, so with my wife departed for bed and a coffee to finish I was scanning the channels for something that wasn't Wheeler Dealers or How It's Made.

And jeepers. Nothing really changes for Jools vanity show. I tuned in as Aimee Mann was finishing up. Bland and my only actual thought was she looked horribly thin, unhealthily so. Next up, Saz'iso a folk band from Albania. Christ on a bike, I [i]really [/i]need to look them up. That at the end of their performance people in the audience were actually whooping made me extremely sad as they were just so terrible.

Next up, Noel Gallagher. Left me cold. Was that woman playing scissors? Finally, for me at least, there was a Superorganism, a band that NME (rest it's soul) describe as 2017 Buzziest Band. It was at this juncture I decided it was time for bed.

All this does raise the question of how the hell does this show stay on air? I honestly doubt anyone who watches it on broadcast will actually utter the words, 'Ooh, they're good,' after each performance. I'd also doubt anyone who records this horrific mash-up of world music actually isn't reaching for the remote after the first act or two. There's such a lack of consistency; juxtaposition this (if you have a memory that long) to something like The Tube, a live show that knew it's audience and you were pretty much certain that you'd hold out until C4's News at 7.00pm.

The other thing is, we gig a lot and the majority of the bands under and over us would knock every band on that show out of the field of play. Christ, my band would knock all of these bands for six.
[/quote]

+1 A lot of true words said here.

Edited by steantval

It just demonstrates how far we have moved on from the days when actual music had any relevance to the mainstream population.
I think they are just grasping at straws, booking whatever the pundits say is the next big thing and keeping their corporate fingers crossed....

Reminds me of back when A&R men actually made decisions.....

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1509968932' post='3402891']
The title of this thread should be 'Deluded old men rant at stuff young people do'...
[/quote]

I'm happy with that, just a slight adjustment "deluded talented old men"

Just noticed your birthday is on the same day as mine except I have a lot more years on you.

My main beef with Later is they always play it safe, with the same old tired , identikit indie guitar bands, sensitive folky strummers and beardy Americana geezers. All very tame and inoffensive. Just wish they'd book some acts with a bit of balls that could tear the place down like some bonkers metal band, a hip hop combo with a bad attitude or cutting edge electronica.There's quite a lot around to choose from.