Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

Nothing in either episode 7 or 8, as with the rest of the series, leaving me thinking that the future of music is in good hands. Soz people but IMO there's zilch coming out from anywhere now that wasn't done better 20, 30,40 + years ago whether funk, soul, rap, metal, folk, indie, electronica, dance, jazz...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1495620132' post='3305297']
Why he's not had an act like Big Big Train on by now completely mystifies me.
[/quote]
Because you can count the number of prog artists that have been on Jools on the fingers of one stump.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495804514' post='3306753']
Because you can count the number of prog artists that have been on Jools on the fingers of one stump.
[/quote]Well said, and about time too. This show rides on the wave of diversity and eclecticness (new word) when in fact all you get is the African band.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495804514' post='3306753']
[/quote]

Why do you reckon though Jon? As mentioned they are supposedly all for showing the variety of genres around but this currently healthy and fairly thriving genre (OK still a bit of a niche market) is chronically underrespresented. At their peak Porcupine Tree could have probably outsold gigs over a lot of the artists on Joolz whilst still remaining fairly underground and unusual band but never a sniff of interest from the programme to my knowledge, They need to get their finger out a bit, the shows starting to look a bit cliched - token rap artist followed by token ethnic folk act with an established 'legend' to headline etc etc.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495845724' post='3307085']
Aside from perhaps a sort of stuck-in-1979 sniffy contempt for the genre, I genuinely have no idea.
[/quote]
Jools is from the punk era. Sniffy contempt was the absolute minimum reaction to prog rock about that time.

Interesting bass that Sheryl Crow was playing last night, some kind of short-scale Guild. Anybody know what it was?

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1495884025' post='3307315']
Jools is from the punk era. Sniffy contempt was the absolute minimum reaction to prog rock about that time.
[/quote]
Jools/Squeeze were about as punk as Boyzone, but that's what I mean. You'd think that 40+ years on, he'd have worked out that 99% of that attitude was just Malcolm McLaren-esque posturing.

Other than being a Guild, no idea what bass Sheryl was playing. Ugly as sin & sounded horrible. The bass, I mean...

Why is everyone so negative about this? Given the variety of musical taste the show has an impossible task of keeping everyone happy. Who knows what difficulties they may have getting xyz band to appear? Maybe Mr Holland is a tad annoying at times - so what? Name me one tv presenter everyone likes. If I could play bass as well as he plays piano I would be happy man.

I plugged my headphones in the telly for this weeks show..guess what I could hear the bass. The bass player with Oumou Sangare was excellent.

So chill out, be thankful some live music is on the box. Keep an open mind - maybe you might like something you didn't expect to.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1495913363' post='3307560']
Why is everyone so negative about this? Given the variety of musical taste the show has an impossible task of keeping everyone happy. Who knows what difficulties they may have getting xyz band to appear? Maybe Mr Holland is a tad annoying at times - so what? Name me one tv presenter everyone likes. If I could play bass as well as he plays piano I would be happy man.

I plugged my headphones in the telly for this weeks show..guess what I could hear the bass. The bass player with Oumou Sangare was excellent.

So chill out, be thankful some live music is on the box. Keep an open mind - maybe you might like something you didn't expect to.
[/quote]The point made was that he's managed to avoid prog forever so far. I won't hold my breath.

The seemingly intentional exclusion of particular musical genres is the only gripe I have about the show. As I've mentioned before, while there's seldom (pretty much never) anything that's "my" sort of music, I always find a lot to enjoy and it exposes me to a lot of good music I would otherwise not encounter. I even quite like Jools, obsequious little tit that he is. Could do without his rinky-dink piano antics, though. ;)

Re: metal - Metallica have been on twice. And... err... that's it.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495908407' post='3307518']
Jools/Squeeze were about as punk as Boyzone, but that's what I mean.
[/quote]

On the other hand, he did play on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J34zX-JsOrI

I'm struggling with the concept that adding a bit of prog would make the show look a bit less cliched :-)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1495965291' post='3307767']
On the other hand, he did play on this:

[/quote]

I didn't know he played on that!

Met Jayne/Wayne County a few years back. I was in a band with a trans guitarist/vocalist at the time, Jayne seemed to feel a bit threatened, which was a shame.

The inheritor of OGWT in my opinion.

First met Joolz when The Soft Boys did a double header with Squeeze back in the seventies in one of the London toilet circuit pubs.
Came across as a nice, talented chap but with a personality that made me wonder if he had a steel pipe stuck up the back of his trousers.
Funnily enough, Andy - bassist from the Soft Boys - took over keys for Squeeze for a while not long after.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1495884025' post='3307315']
Interesting bass that Sheryl Crow was playing last night, some kind of short-scale Guild. Anybody know what it was?
[/quote]
I think it was some kind of short-scale Guild.