Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

I thought Jain (French lass on a computer) was good, and Robert Cray was decent. But i switched off mentally during the Faroe Islander, and switched off physically shortly after.

Yeah the Amazons guy was struggling to sing tho - been in that position a few times mid-gig and it ain't fun...

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1493211875' post='3286548']
Forgot to watch it.
The listings had Jameraqio (can't spell it) as being on.
Nobody has mentioned it, were they not on?
[/quote]Jay Kay is unwell apparently.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1492152685' post='3278251']
Why does the BBC not keep its promise of delivering 5.1 surround? I only ever get the pro-logic logo on my receiver, never Dolby D or DTS. My understanding from the BBC's own HD TV promo was that they took great lengths to record in surround format. Pro-logic M sounds like surround but it isn't actually 6 channels... or is it?

Curious.
[/quote]

Pro Logic is fake surround generated from a stereo source I think. When I got a new TV recently I decided to try Freesat on it seeing as my house had a satellite dish fitted that I'd never used, and was surprised to see it outputting DD5.1 on some channels, although I've no idea if I was getting the same with my old aerial connection! I'll check to see what this show outputs next time it's on, perhaps it varies depending on whether you get it via aerial/satellite/cable?

Another "watched it on iPlayer", managed to skip through most of it, though I did think Jain (French lass with the sequencer/looper box) was rather good.

Watched Eivor (the lass with the drum instead of the acoustic guitar), thought she was good, a bit more interesting than the usual lass with the acoustic guitar.

LP were OK.

Thank goodness for fast forward.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1493192895' post='3286294']
Thought Beth Ditto awful ( a third rate Joplin wana bee), The Faro Island thing utter pants, Robert Cray merely ok, Jain from France rather good and LP (laura Pergolizzi) very good, oh, and the Amazons, the less said the better!
[/quote]

I didn't see all of it but would like to hear more of LP as she's both stylish and talented.

The low point was the woman with the Drum and Beth Ditto just proved that a big band doen't necesarily make a big impact.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1493627368' post='3289441']
Musicians performing live on TV is good.
[/quote]

+2

There are very few opportunities for musicians to perform live on TV shows these days as it is; the ones that are there need to be supported and encouraged as much as possible.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1493478523' post='3288671']
Nice to see Robert Cray's bass player using a Squier VM Jazz.
[/quote]

Agreed. Enjoyed the stuff the band did, and Steve Jordan on drums too :-)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1493627368' post='3289441']
Musicians performing live on TV is good.
[/quote]

Yes.

Although the Late Show doesn't go for the minimalist approach of TOGWT it does at least allow viewers to see music actually being played. Maybe air guitarists don't like it but so what?

Edited by SpondonBassed

I don't get all the people against this show.

As others have said, it is one of the few ways to see live music on TV. I am happy to sit through loads of bands I don't like, because out of it all may be one gem that I haven't heard before and discover something new. This has happened loads of times over the years with this show. All the time I'm thinking that, someone else out there will have loved a band I didn't, and hated what I'm loving. To me, that is the beauty of it.

I don't see why people would want to get rid of it. If the music is all rubbish, then maybe that is a reflection of what is out there at the moment?

FWIW, I personally, I don't really like JH and his squawking voice trying to scream over the studio noise, and I am not a big fan of his big band and his constant attempts to sit in with bands on his shows.

However, if it was my show, I would probably use my clout to sit in where I could too!