Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1492352896' post='3279599']
I find his annoying smugness just too much for me,
[/quote]

Well it is what it is, you might as well criticise a terrier for trying to shag your leg: it's just what he does and there you go.

Did this get shown on Tuesday night? If not, that's seriously weird.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1492287108' post='3279267']
Glenn Hughes was on last night.
[/quote]

He was also on the Friday Night Rock Show this week, a good 20 minute very honest interview.
There were also clips of the 1974 California Jam with Deep Purple introducing him and David Coverdale as the new members of the at the time the largest band in the world.
He has got together again with Joe Bonnamassa and BCC are releasing a new album in September.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1492386408' post='3279868']
He was also on the Friday Night Rock Show this week, a good 20 minute very honest interview.
There were also clips of the 1974 California Jam with Deep Purple introducing him and David Coverdale as the new members of the at the time the largest band in the world.
He has got together again with Joe Bonnamassa and BCC are releasing a new album in September.
[/quote]Sorry, I meant he was on the Friday Rock Show.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1492330971' post='3279395']
The problem is that I don't think Joolz cares what the expert muso audience thinks, because he is aiming the show at what he feels is 'educating' the TOTPs crowd
[/quote]

You calling me an expert muso?

In all the episodes I've seen, I can only remember three or four where things stood out. Jellyfish. The Darkness. Pearl Jam. Buena Vista Social Club.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1492358432' post='3279655']

And an awful lot to look at and think "that's absolute bollocks mate" :lol:
[/quote]

Quite - we must all have wildly varying tastes.

For once I liked most of what was on this episode although I too found the Goldfrapp dancers mildly worrying. I can't imagine why anyone would want to rewrite Bootsy-like bass parts either but there you go!

As for Jules himself, I think he's ok and a good muso - I've mellowed over the years to the orchestra, helped by being bought a ticket to one of their gigs as a prezzie, thinking I wouldn't like it, and then finding they were highly impressive and truly excellent live - only marred by not giving Mr Swift a little cameo feature, as he's excellent as well.

For true fans he has a radio show as well late on Monday nights on radio 2 which features some cool artists.

Now if the show had included the likes of Morrisey and Weller I'd most likely have reached for the remote control, as I regularly do with Later!! Different tastes eh....

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1492417093' post='3279978']
Quite - we must all have wildly varying tastes.

For once I liked most of what was on this episode although I too found the Goldfrapp dancers mildly worrying. I can't imagine why anyone would want to rewrite Bootsy-like bass parts either but there you go! Indeed this particular episode contained bass throughout. It was great to see B J Cole.

As for Jules himself, I think he's ok and a good muso - I generally don't slag off musos as I feel some affinity in where they're coming from. I've mellowed over the years to the orchestra, helped by being bought a ticket to one of their gigs as a prezzie, thinking I wouldn't like it, and then finding they were highly impressive and truly excellent live - only marred by not giving Mr Swift a little cameo feature, as he's excellent as well.

For true fans he has a radio show as well late on Monday nights on radio 2 which features some cool artists.

Now if the show had included the likes of Morrisey and Weller I'd most likely have reached for the remote control, as I regularly do with Later!! Different tastes eh....
[/quote]

Great post, couldn't agree more.

As has been said countless times before, probably the only (mostly) live music programme that consistently showcases both
new and old artists to a mainstream audience. Sure, some weeks I don't particularly like any of the featured bands, but that doesn't
make it a bad show, just means it's not to my particular taste. Long may it continue.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1492278268' post='3279196']
I really like the TV format of having bands doing a short set instead of one song in a circle, like Later...

Obviously OGWT and The Tube had this format, but also Channel 4's short lived The White Room from the mid 90s (anyone remember that?) which was a great show. It allows a band to get into the groove a lot more than doing one song and stopping again, which results in a much better performance I think.
[/quote]

Yep, The white room was great, hosted by Mark Radcliffe, ran for 4 series between 94-96 (wikipedia).

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1492278268' post='3279196']
I really like the TV format of having bands doing a short set instead of one song in a circle, like Later...

Obviously OGWT and The Tube had this format, but also Channel 4's short lived The White Room from the mid 90s (anyone remember that?) which was a great show. It allows a band to get into the groove a lot more than doing one song and stopping again, which results in a much better performance I think.
[/quote]Another vote for The White Room here - an excellent show.

I usually have it on series record but after a lot of FF white finger over last couple of series I've decided not to bother this time, probably skim through a few episodes on iplayer at some point. Thanks to whoever mentioned the Friday Rock Show, wasn't aware of it but will check it out from this week.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1492814001' post='3283498']
Just flicking through the channels tonight and came across Later, a black woman on guitar and backed by a band made up of Mumford and ZZ Top lookalikes - bloody awful IMO.
[/quote]

She was a bit adjacent with the pitch of her singing - in fact, well off a couple of times.

G.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1492814001' post='3283498']
Just flicking through the channels tonight and came across Later, a black woman on guitar and backed by a band made up of Mumford and ZZ Top lookalikes - bloody awful IMO.
[/quote]I wondered just how hard the guitarist had to work to mess up the classic sound of a Gretsch into a Fender so badly. I found the conflicting tones of the guitar, her voice and the rest of the band rather jarring.

Just watched tonight's show on iPlayer. I quite enjoyed it on the whole - last weeks show left me a bit cold really but they have to cater for all tastes so not every show will be of interest. Thought the artist from the Faro Islands was a bit out of place in this show, and really enjoyed Beth Ditto much to my surprise. I shall be watching on Friday with a lot more interest than last week.