Why become a member? ×

Flare Audio Isolates - Tip Longevity

geoham

Hi guys,

I purchased a set of Flare Audio Isolates ear plugs a while back. They came with three sets of tips, one in each size.

I can't get through more than three rehearsals without the tips falling apart. I contacted Flare about it, and they sent me a replacement set (a goodwill gesture), along with a video with instructions on how to properly use them.

I'm not sure whether to just cut my losses and try another brand, or keep buying replacement tips for these.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

George

My first pair of tips (medium) didn't last long 8-10 uses maybe, second set (small) seem to be going ok but I'm consciously not rolling them as much before I put them in. Time will tell, I like the plugs themselves and they work for me, I did get a few sets of tips in when they were on offer so I'll see how they go but if they don't show acceptable durability I'll be sending Flare my thoughts too.

Just the news I did NOT want to hear as I have just received a pair today. :(

I went for the cheaper aluminium ones, but having looked at them, I can't help thinking how two little pieces of metal can cost £25. :o

I'll have to watch this thread. Bought a pair of the aluminium ones early in the new year and have used them a handful of times. Going with the medium tips and will purchase a set of spares anyway. For the price though they do a good job and really work for me.

I can't help but be highly sceptical. These are solid pieces of metal with flared tips to hold them in place. I understand they rely more on bone conduction rather than sound passing down the ear canal?

Yes I totally understand that it will be a safe way to help attenuate harmful SPL getting to the ear drum.. but it's still going to be muffled. So am I right in thinking it's just a fancy ear protector?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492034178' post='3277449']
I can't help but be highly sceptical. These are solid pieces of metal with flared tips to hold them in place. I understand they rely more on bone conduction rather than sound passing down the ear canal?

Yes I totally understand that it will be a safe way to help attenuate harmful SPL getting to the ear drum.. but it's still going to be muffled. So am I right in thinking it's just a fancy ear protector?
[/quote]

That was my impression too... and then I looked at their response graphs and it confirmed it for me. :mellow:

Just to add, I do really like them - I can hear everything in the band well, particularly the bass. Despite being a large guy, the small size is most comfortable (the only thing I'm not an XL in!), and I need to roll them to get them in.

Only getting 3 rehearsals from a set of tips really isn't good enough for me. Perhaps I have especially toxic ears!

What earplugs are the rest of you using?

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1492066909' post='3277543']
I've just got some of these but yet to use them in anger. What do the Flare Audio guys say? Im sure three uses is no way good enough and just sending some spares just leaves you with the same problem.....
[/quote]

The tone of the message I got (via Facebook messenger) was that I was misusing them. Along the lines of 'we'll give you a free set this time, but here's how not to damage them in future'.

If nobody else is having similar problems, I'm happy to accept I'm the problem and not the product. I've never really tried any other earplugs, so reckon I should look at some other options.

As a side note, after playing with these in, I never want to go back to unprotected ears again. God knows how much damage was done in the past 20 years!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1492036272' post='3277466']
They do not muffle the sound just cut the volume and some frequencies. My bass and the drums sound great. Had to get something quick after getting tinnitus at new year and these do the job for now.
[/quote]

Out of interest have you compared these to moulded in-ear protection or the 'flanged' in-ear protection?

I use Alpine Musicsafe Pro. Three levels of attenuation. I have tinnitus so I use them for every rehearsal and gig. 3 years use and no problems with them.They cut volume but leave the sound spectrum pretty much intact to my ears. I would recommend them to anyone.

Flare are snake oil merchants who make scientifically impossible claims about their PA speakers, refuse to publish proper test data on their earplugs, and harass and block anyone who questions them on social media, to the point that their marketing director left a one star review of a venue whose in-house engineer challenged their claims about their products. Spiteful and immature. According to the limited data they've published, the isolate plugs perform about as well as those 3M disposable foam sets that cost pennies. You want plugs for £20, get a set of ER20s. You want proper isolation, get some moulds done from ACS or similar. These are questionable at best.

Edited by mike257

Have you actually tried them? It does have a whiff of something about it. I had a quick look at the website, not quite sure about the speaker claims as there isn't much real info, but one that caught my eye was a speaker with claimed 10 degree vertical dispersion, 120 deg horizontal, seems a little far fetched.

I have them and have previously used the Alpine, ER20, and Earpeace offerings, personally I find they all work but the flare do cut the noise levels much more, if they didn't work I wouldn't use them simple as that and I'd certainly have no hesitation in saying they didn't do the job, the only thing i cant compare them to is the custom moulded type of plug, which in my view ought to be a superior option anyway given the price difference.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1492035835' post='3277465']
That was my impression too... and then I looked at their response graphs and it confirmed it for me. :mellow:
[/quote]

where did you find response graphs? i've just had a look at their website and can't find any response graphs or any kind of data to back up the claims.

they look pretty expensive for what you get, especially as they obviously don't expect the foam part to last (or they wouldn't be selling them in sets of 3 pairs!)

i've tried quite a few of the wallet friendly earplugs, usually go for the Alpine musicsafe pro unless it's an acoustic session when i go for the Doc's (i've got a pair of ER20's and some Lin-ear pr20 as well.)

i'm going for custom moulded as soon as i have enough pennies

Matt

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492342687' post='3279500']
Have you actually tried them? It does have a whiff of something about it. I had a quick look at the website, not quite sure about the speaker claims as there isn't much real info, but one that caught my eye was a speaker with claimed 10 degree vertical dispersion, 120 deg horizontal, seems a little far fetched.
[/quote]

They claim their speakers actually achieve "zero distortion" and have also said in marketing materials that this alleged property means you can run them at high levels with a lesser risk of hearing damage, so not only bollocks but actually encouraging unsafe and irresponsible use.

They've made spurious threats of litigation against anyone challenging their claims, but have refused to facilitate independent testing. They're a running joke in professional audio circles.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1492338442' post='3279453']
Flare are snake oil merchants who make scientifically impossible claims about their PA speakers, refuse to publish proper test data on their earplugs, and harass and block anyone who questions them on social media, to the point that their marketing director left a one star review of a venue whose in-house engineer challenged their claims about their products. Spiteful and immature. According to the limited data they've published, the isolate plugs perform about as well as those 3M disposable foam sets that cost pennies. You want plugs for £20, get a set of ER20s. You want proper isolation, get some moulds done from ACS or similar. These are questionable at best.
[/quote]

Pretty much my thoughts too (although you have additional info that I did not).
However a couple of people I know really like them, and they've used other earplugs before. My brain says it's BS. But I'm kind of curious to find out for myself.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1492344285' post='3279519']
where did you find response graphs? i've just had a look at their website and can't find any response graphs or any kind of data to back up the claims.

they look pretty expensive for what you get, especially as they obviously don't expect the foam part to last (or they wouldn't be selling them in sets of 3 pairs!)

i've tried quite a few of the wallet friendly earplugs, usually go for the Alpine musicsafe pro unless it's an acoustic session when i go for the Doc's (i've got a pair of ER20's and some Lin-ear pr20 as well.)

i'm going for custom moulded as soon as i have enough pennies

Matt
[/quote]

Quite tellingly, they were in their funding page last year... that's where I saw them first. But they're nowhere on their site now.
Still, google is your friend:

I have recently got ACS moulded ones made, with the 17db filter... I am not liking them. First they just blocked everything and they made new moulds where the opening was in a slightly different position, as we thought they were a bit too short for me and were being occluded pressed against my ear canal. The new ones work better but the isolation is a bit disconcerting... I think I may have to try other filters with lower attenuation and see if that feels better.

I've had a set of Isolate Mini's for just over a week & for my purposes (which are not music related) they are great.
I've worn them every day since I got them & the tips look as good as new, no signs of wear whatsoever.

I've worn the standard orange foam ones for years & the Flare Audio plugs are far superior in every aspect. I wear earplugs for hours every day & the foam ones are very uncomfortable whereas I hardly know I've got the Isolate Mini's in.

Edited by RhysP

I use the titanium version with the small tips. I've used them about 30 times and they've lasted just fine.

However, when I initially received them I tried out the medium tips first. Upon deciding they were too large I tried to remove them and they just came apart in my hands. I was applying very little force and was using the suggested removal method.

I like them though and would buy replacement tips when the time comes.

[quote name='Jonse' timestamp='1492523272' post='3280908']
I use the titanium version with the small tips. I've used them about 30 times and they've lasted just fine.

However, when I initially received them I tried out the medium tips first. Upon deciding they were too large I tried to remove them and they just came apart in my hands. I was applying very little force and was using the suggested removal method.

I like them though and would buy replacement tips when the time comes.
[/quote]

This is quite interesting. I'm a large guy and assumed the large would be the size for me - but they were quite uncomfortable and fell apart after a single use. I got twice out of the mediums and maybe 3 times out of the two small sets I've been used. Maybe I have abnormally narrow ear canals...