Why become a member? ×

Stingray questions

highwayman

Where you pluck greatly influences the sound, that combined with the preamp (either 2- or 3-band eq) gives you a lot of different tones. People like to accuse the Stingray of being a one trick pony. Well as they saying goes: it's all in the hands. Maybe not all but a great deal is.

There are amazing sounds that a Stingray can deliver, that only a Stingray can deliver. but beware, too much sting can eventually be tiresome. Best to use a little sting methinks. But remain smug that you have more than enough sting in reserve should you ever need it.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1496172467' post='3309361']
There are amazing sounds that a Stingray can deliver, that only a Stingray can deliver. but beware, too much sting can eventually be tiresome. Best to use a little sting methinks. But remain smug that you have more than enough sting in reserve should you ever need it.
[/quote]

Too much Sting? There's no such thing!!!
:yarr: ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1496176275' post='3309405']
Too much Sting? There's no such thing!!!
:yarr: ;)
[/quote]

Ever tried a Stingray-on-steroids AKA Sterling? That one can sometimes have a bit too much of a good sting thing...

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1496179999' post='3309439']
Ever tried a Stingray-on-steroids AKA Sterling? That one can sometimes have a bit too much of a good sting thing...
[/quote]
My Sterling HH has even more!!

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1496179999' post='3309439']
[/quote]

No, I haven't. I prefer bigger necks so I don't want to try one and find that I like it :lol:

I do have a Stingray on steroids of sorts: a USA made SUB from 2003 in white, where the pickup is alnico and wired in series (I think Sterling is ceramic series?)... which has an amazing tone. The low mids are very strong, and complement the 2EQ preamp very nicely. Great bass. Shame they only ever made them with rosewood fingerboards.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496224087' post='3309628']
It's only a matter of time before you get a ceramic Stingray five Jose :)

Ceramic sting.
Series position sting.
Fat neck that you like.
[/quote]

it's that narrow string spacing that puts me off... I suppose I could adapt to it, but as I'm still not in a position where I feel I need a 5-string bass, it doesn't tempt me enough. The day I am tempted enough I'll probably go to Maruszczyk 'though...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1496241304' post='3309842']

it's that narrow string spacing that puts me off... I suppose I could adapt to it, but as I'm still not in a position where I feel I need a 5-string bass, it doesn't tempt me enough. The day I am tempted enough I'll probably go to Maruszczyk 'though...
[/quote]

You're really missing out not having a Stingray 5 - especially the ceramic version. I've started using mine a lot recently and even though an H version, it's very versatile, and especially sensitive to playing dynamics and playing position. Great bass sound. Playing that even persuaded me to get the Bongo 5 out for a blues rock gig last weekend - I'd forgotten how good that is as well.

Musicman 5s are basically 5 strings on a wide Precision neck - I'm used to 19mm spacing 4s but don't find the 17.5mm a great change - although I would admit to being a little less confident with some slap lines!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1496260019' post='3310060']
You're really missing out not having a Stingray 5 - especially the ceramic version. I've started using mine a lot recently and even though an H version, it's very versatile, and especially sensitive to playing dynamics and playing position. Great bass sound. Playing that even persuaded me to get the Bongo 5 out for a blues rock gig last weekend - I'd forgotten how good that is as well.

Musicman 5s are basically 5 strings on a wide Precision neck - I'm used to 19mm spacing 4s but don't find the 17.5mm a great change - although I would admit to being a little less confident with some slap lines!!
[/quote]

The only 5 string I felt immediately at home with was my old Lakland 5502... beautiful neck, wide but shallow, very comfy, and 19mm at the bridge. Shame it did not sound like a Stingray or I'd still have it. The day I need a 5-string, I'll get Maruszczyk to clone the 5502 neck and will get a single MM pickup at the right spot with an MMSR preamp. :)

Then I'll post about it at the EBMM forum :ph34r:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496325546' post='3310541']
If fender released the one Flea uses but in a five string version I'd buy one. the bits are already there on the shelf other than the pickup!
[/quote]

The silver one with the MM pickup? That's tasty...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496325546' post='3310541']
If fender released the one Flea uses but in a five string version I'd buy one. the bits are already there on the shelf other than the pickup!
[/quote]

Surely G and L do something similar already? Or Sandberg? Musicman certainly do a Musicman better.

I got the feeling Flea plays the Fender hybrid Stingray clone for financial reasons.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496390681' post='3310951']
Well I like the proportions and neck on my USA jazz five and I like the pickup position and preamp of a Stingray five, put the two together and hey presto!
[/quote]

exactly... wanting a bass with a big fat humbucker at a particular spot doesn't necessarily mean you want a MusicMan.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496390681' post='3310951']
Well I like the proportions and neck on my USA jazz five and I like the pickup position and preamp of a Stingray five, put the two together and hey presto!
[/quote]

I always find the Musicman necks are better for my taste. There is more than just the pick up and EQ to a Musicman - the whole package contributes to the sound - not least the bridge.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1496411057' post='3311230']
I always find the Musicman necks are better for my taste. There is more than just the pick up and EQ to a Musicman - the whole package contributes to the sound - not least the bridge.
[/quote]

lucky you :)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1496411057' post='3311230']

[/quote]

I don't think any of mine are particularly better, they've all been quite different regardless of what people would presume regarding stingrays, glossy pre EB ones, 70's one had quite a round shape and my 82 was really thin and flat, oiled 4 strings, oiled five string and the Classic 5 with the vintage tint birdseye with the slightly different profile to my other fives, they're all playable to me, the jazz is totally different and my only rosewood boarded bass and I like that too.

As for bridges making a big difference is that the four or five string, with mutes, without mutes, strung thru or normal top loaded, hollow saddles or solid? ;)

I like the Flea sparkle finish, the jazz neck profile and the body shape, pop in a humbucker and I can't see what I'd dislike about it :)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1496412649' post='3311254']
I played a Stingray in a shop where the EQ wasn't working but it sounded great flat. Then I checked and there was no battery - so it CAN can work without.
[/quote]

I've never seen one yet, I don't know if there is any signal at all making it possible to crank the amp up lots to get a sound.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1496412649' post='3311254']
I played a Stingray in a shop where the EQ wasn't working but it sounded great flat. Then I checked and there was no battery - so it CAN can work without.
[/quote]

Well... he's right!

I just went to check. The signal is a lot weaker, but it does work, and at a pinch, I think I could probably use it like that at a gig as I usually have lots of headroom left. The volume control still works, but the bass/treble doesn't (there's a slight change in tone when you turn them up/down, but nothing there really).

Who would have thought it? :lol: