Why become a member? ×

You know your band has made it when...

leftybassman392

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1491984980' post='3276886']
When someone comes up to you in the street and says 'are you that guy from..?'
[/quote]that has happened to me, locally I have to add, of course if you're the singer and not just the bass player everybody knows who you are :lol:

Frank Sinatra, Sepultura, Paul McCartney, Brian Eno, Biffy Clyro, Keith Richards, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Pearl Jam, Michael Jackson, Neil Young, Miles Davis, Metallica, Lou Reed, Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Green Day, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, C J Ramone, Green Day, Lemmy, Sting, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Jagger, Bowie, Shakira, Joe Strummer, Carole King James Taylor, Doc Watson, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Bono, Johnny Rotten, Paul Cook, Steve Jones, Sid Vicious, Glen Matlock, Henry Rollins, John Lennon, The Beatles, Beethoven, Mozart, Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Jerry Garcia, The Grateful Dead, Ozzy Osbourne, Chopin, Bob Marley all have organisms named after them.

Top organism muso is Frank Zappa with nine of the little buggers named after him. Which says more about scientists than it does about Zappa, imo.

[/quote]
Happened to me the other day, in Milan!
although it went more: <pointing of finger> "Sad Lovers & Giants, basso!"
To be fair we'd played a gig there the previous night but we were a good 20 minutes drive from the venue.

@Skank ...and Lady Gaga. You missed Lady Gaga. (A wasp, apparently. Along with several other creatures.)

Not to mention <insert major artist here>

Interestingly, as far as I can see none of the Beatles (collectively or individually) seems to have given their name to a beetle. Although Sting has been honoured with................... a frog.

And while I'm here, Donald J. Trump has given his name to (amongst other things) an urchin, Hugh Heffner to a rabbit and Terry Pratchett to a turtle.

There's loads more where this lot came from.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1491978777' post='3276830']
When your not changing in the toilets ��
[/quote]

IMO there's no need to be changing in the toilets whatever level your band is at. I've found that a polite word with someone in charge at the venue will always result in being shown a room with a dry floor and that doesn't smell of piss where the band can change.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1492005235' post='3277102']
When you get paid for playing original music :ph34r:
[/quote]

I've never had a problem getting paid for playing original music. Still haven't "made it" though.

[/quote]

Happens to me quite a lot, including once at a HIM gig in London, where someone recognised me as being from The Terrortones despite the fact we're not local and hadn't even played in London recently.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491981882' post='3276856']
when you can pack up your day job
[/quote]

/Thread.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1492006260' post='3277117']
@Skank ...and Lady Gaga. You missed Lady Gaga. (A wasp, apparently. Along with several other creatures.)
[/quote]

For myself, Lady Gaga is less a musician, more a framework from which to dangle bacon-y [i]haute couture[/i]. But I'll take it under advisement :)

Most disappointing about the whole fol-de-rol is the predictable prominence of front-men at the expense of bass players, in particular the absence of Mr Tony Goggle; a candidate for a cockroach if ever there was.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1492005258' post='3277103']
Frank Sinatra, Sepultura, Paul McCartney, Brian Eno, Biffy Clyro, Keith Richards, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Pearl Jam, Michael Jackson, Neil Young, Miles Davis, Metallica, Lou Reed, Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Green Day, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, C J Ramone, Green Day, Lemmy, Sting, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Jagger, Bowie, Shakira, Joe Strummer, Carole King James Taylor, Doc Watson, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Bono, Johnny Rotten, Paul Cook, Steve Jones, Sid Vicious, Glen Matlock, Henry Rollins, John Lennon, The Beatles, Beethoven, Mozart, Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Jerry Garcia, The Grateful Dead, Ozzy Osbourne, Chopin, Bob Marley all have organisms named after them.

Top organism muso is Frank Zappa with nine of the little buggers named after him. Which says more about scientists than it does about Zappa, imo.
[/quote]at first I misread this, thought they'd all had orgasms named after them, I was quite worried that I'd missed out on a lot of life's pleasures

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1492005235' post='3277102']
When you get paid for playing original music :ph34r:
[/quote]

It was until BRX quoted this in the thread that I had to go back and double check as I'd read it as "When you get laid for playing original music", not sure what that says about me :/

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492012693' post='3277200']
Isn't there a Goggle-Eyed Git?
[/quote]

Yes, there is. He's currently writing his memoirs, such recall as he retains being assisted by a tantric head massage and a quart bottle of jagermeister.