Why become a member? ×

Amp test drive; Aguilar, Darkglass, Genzler and Mesa Boogie

Osiris

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1493811769' post='3290822']
Osiris. I missed you at the Grainstore. Sorry. That is what comes from skim- reading posts. :(
[/quote]

No problem. It's probably as well you didn't make it, we had to cancel the gig in the end due to the drummers hypochondria flaring up again :rolleyes:

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1493813018' post='3290837']
Obviously tone is a personal thing and we all have different ideas of what the perfect tone is, or what we want our sound to be. This obviously includes drive sounds too. The Genzler drive channel just sounds right to me. It's definitely on the low gain, smooth and silky side, but that's what I want. That's not to say that it's what you want, but from your other thread, I'd be surprised if the Genzler isn't in the same ball park even if it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Try one and let us know what you think :)
[/quote]

Hey you can't say fairer than that!...Now I've just got to see if I can locate one in Central London.

PS agree with you, too, about the Stingray sound - definitely a niche taste :)

Edited by Al Krow

• 1 year later...

This is just the sort of ‘real world’ review that I like to see and read. I'm looking for a back up to my Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800 which I use with combinations of Mark Bass Cabs (2x10, 1x12 & 1x15) depending on where I am playing. Currently doing about 70 live gigs annually I have decided that I am very vulnerable to possible amp failure, not implying that Mark Bass amps are not built to an impeccable standard but I am aware that these things can happen .... and inherently will happen when you least want them to, hence my toying with an additional amp for backup or amp rotation purposes .... plus I would like to run all three which I can’t withe the Little Mark (4 or 8 Ohm only) especially during the ‘outdoor’ season to add to the bottom end (which seems to get slightly lost outdoors)

As I play only 5 string now (MM Stingray Ltd Ed 2005 & Sandberg Classic Special Fretless) I find at the larger gigs I need the extra punch and I know that both the Mesa D800+ and the Genzler Magellan 800 can deliver the 2 Ohm requirement .... My guitarist favours the Mesa as that is what he has best knowledge of (he had never heard of Genzler - dimwit noodler :)) the added benefit with the Genzler is that it can be toured out of the box without the need for voltage regulation as this is automatically selected within the electronic gubbins inside .... clever beggers!!

This review has just pushed the Genzler ahead for me and I look forward to giving it a go next month (paycheque permitting) ... thanks ...

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Muttbass. The original review is a couple of years old now but I still stand by it. I gigged the Magellan for around 18 months and I still cannot fault it, the EQ is so simple yet has all the versatility you're likely to need (unless you're running a heavily effected sound, but you'll have your pedals for that). The pre-amp just seems to have exactly what you want, when you want it. I have never not been able to EQ to a room in a few seconds. It may not have as many controls as some other amps but you just don't need them with an amp that sounds this good. It just works. Every time. In my experience. 

My band ditched backline for IEM's around a year ago so I'm not currently gigging with the Magellan, but I do still fire it up from time to time because it is such a great amp 😀. So good that I also bought the smaller 350 version and I have also gigged that too. The 350 has the same flexibility of its bigger brother and is more than loud enough to gig with. It doesn't have the sublime drive channel of the 800 but if you're only using clean sounds it is more than capable of delivering a hefty, versatile array of sounds.