Why become a member? ×

Don't sell your gear to these guys

badboy1984

I was clearing out some of the old recording equipment at home because is taking up desk space and room space and instead of throwing them away I decide to cash them in quick.

Took it to the Entertainment Trader in manchester and offload my stuff to them. The following item were offloaded.

- Old ish Edirol midi keyboard in 100% perfect condition
- Old ish Edirol monitor speakers in 100% perfect condition
- T-Bone stereo mic
- Presonus Inspire 1394

I wasn't bother of how much they gonna screw me because I needed to offload them quick. First thing I walked in and the owner said let me see what you got, I put all the stuff on the table and he become uninterest and saying I'm wasting my time because these are all old crap and he will only offer me £15. I defintely find that an insult offer, I quickly told him I will get more selling them to cash generator then you guys. He quickly offer more money, we came to a figure I'm kinda ok to accept but I know probably get alot more if I sell them privately and patiently. Is the attitude of the owner that is not great. I said these a old items but they are still great and is good brand. His reply was "was great 10 years ago but they are old piece of crap now".

My experience is don't sell to these guys and also not to buy from them too. I also heard him saying bad thing to his staff about a customer wanting a refund online.

Although it is frustrating when they offer you less than you want, you are *always* going to get less selling at one of these sort of places than selling thing privately and patiently, you are paying for convenience, and they know that if you are selling there it is because you are not going to bother for some reason, you don't have the time, you don't have the patience, or sadly in a lot of cases, because they are stolen. So they take that risk, they have it in their shop for a while, and frankly they aren't particularly interested, they don't sell as much as mobile phones or something, so they can afford to pay a pittance.

But ultimately, they aren't ripping you off as you know what they will give you.

Car dealers on the other hand....

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1491841514' post='3275801']
I was clearing out some of the old recording equipment at home because is taking up desk space and room space and instead of throwing them away I decide to cash them in quick.

Took it to the Entertainment Trader in manchester and offload my stuff to them. The following item were offloaded.

- Old ish Edirol midi keyboard in 100% perfect condition
- Old ish Edirol monitor speakers in 100% perfect condition
- T-Bone stereo mic
- Presonus Inspire 1394

I wasn't bother of how much they gonna screw me because I needed to offload them quick. First thing I walked in and the owner said let me see what you got, I put all the stuff on the table and he become uninterest and saying I'm wasting my time because these are all old crap and he will only offer me £15. I defintely find that an insult offer, I quickly told him I will get more selling them to cash generator then you guys. He quickly offer more money, we came to a figure I'm kinda ok to accept but I know probably get alot more if I sell them privately and patiently. Is the attitude of the owner that is not great. I said these a old items but they are still great and is good brand. His reply was "was great 10 years ago but they are old piece of crap now".

My experience is don't sell to these guys and also not to buy from them too. I also heard him saying bad thing to his staff about a customer wanting a refund online.
[/quote]

Why don't you sell it here?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1491844208' post='3275818']
Although it is frustrating when they offer you less than you want, you are *always* going to get less selling at one of these sort of places than selling thing privately and patiently, you are paying for convenience, and they know that if you are selling there it is because you are not going to bother for some reason, you don't have the time, you don't have the patience, or sadly in a lot of cases, because they are stolen. So they take that risk, they have it in their shop for a while, and frankly they aren't particularly interested, they don't sell as much as mobile phones or something, so they can afford to pay a pittance.

But ultimately, they aren't ripping you off as you know what they will give you.

Car dealers on the other hand....
[/quote]

I definitely know they will pay less and i expect that. Insult me with a £15 offer for the lot and say they are all rubbish stuff is none sense. Cash generator staff won't even say that.

If a shop offers you little or nothing, it's a sign they don't really want what you're selling. They're in business to make a living. If they don't think they can move it on something (and quickly - no point in having things sitting on shelves for months), they won't want it unless it's so ridiculously cheap that they can move it on for peanuts. With the low price of new kit these days, used, especially older equipment is worth very little. Just the way life is.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1491896502' post='3276144']
But you still did a deal. Anyone selling goods to a pawnbroker is going to get a bad deal, you might just get a bad deal with a smile somewhere else then :)
[/quote]

Yeah, is always better to have a smile on the face then poor customer service. People do sell expensive insutrument to them. They had a Martin acoustic, a few Tokai Les Paul and a Fretless Musicman stingray for sale.

I went in there to look at a turntable, old Sony effort with the tone arm missing.

So he sees me looking at what they go for on Ebay on my phone and I go up to ask him what he wants for it and he looks away from me and says £300, I walked out.

Basically the way I read this is he sees me checking the price, works out I have an idea what I'm talking about and so doesn't want to deal with me.

I think he likes to sell to people who don't have a clue and buy from people who are desperate.

Didn't like the guy one bit.