Why become a member? ×

For any Thundercat Fans

BassApprentice

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491856358' post='3275972']
Definitely talented and I guess he's an example of the direction bass playing is going.

Me, I'm an older guy. I'm taking a pass on Thundercat and staying with my friends like Rocco Prestia and Chuck Rainey.

Blue
[/quote]

I think he's pretty unique, he's more a jazz guitarist who plays a bass than your standard bass player.

I really enjoy his stuff, but I couldn't emulate it if I tried. I'm guessing not many of us could.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1491856731' post='3275974']

I think he's pretty unique, he's more a jazz guitarist who plays a bass than your standard bass player.

I really enjoy his stuff, but I couldn't emulate it if I tried. I'm guessing not many of us could.
[/quote]

I can't.

Even listening to it is a challenge for me.

Blue

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1491859188' post='3276011']
Im with you Blue. I love the groove. But i wouldn't say he's the direction that bass playing is going. There are so many directions.

I think ears should always be open, but yeah I'm with Rocco and Mr Rainey. Don't forget Willie Weeks
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't want to be an "old fogey".

However, some of these new guys are way to busy for me.

And when they fade the old school strong dead in the pocket groove guys will still be around.

Trust me, I'm right on this one.

I believe Willie, Chuck and Rocco are still working steady.

Blue

I think there is WAY more to it than just his bass playing, which is obviously part of his sound, but shouldn't be the complete focus. He is writing very unique music and singing at the same time, and I had heard of him and seen his record covers WAY before I knew he was a great bass player. Cool guy, cool groove, very unique and fresh.

Every time there's a discussion about this, someone old has to chime in to say 'he's not as good as the old guys'. If you're in your 60s, you need to get over this stuff pronto. New talent takes nothing away from old talent, it's not a race.

We all love Chuck Rainey, it doesn't matter in the context of a conversation about another musician. It's like saying Chuck Rainey is talented, but he's not as good as Paul Chambers. And Paul Chambers, he's not as good as Brahms.

A. It doesn't matter and B. the context is completely different. Get comfortable with the fact that generations have their own interpretations of music.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491905088' post='3276279']
Every time there's a discussion about this, someone old has to chime in to say 'he's not as good as the old guys'.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone said that. I certainly didn't.

Blue

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491905088' post='3276279']...generations have their own interpretations of music.
[/quote]

Quite, but, whatever the generation, there are those that appreciate 'speed-freaks' and those who prefer a more posed approach. I listen to John Mclaughlin, for instance, but don't think that the frenetic style translates well to bass at all. Hats off for the technical ability, but, to me, completely off the map, musically. Yes, I'm old, but wouldn't have liked this in the '60s or '70s, either (and there were those that tried..!). I would like to have a more dynamically balanced set, as uber-speed becomes tiring quite quickly. Not my taste at all, I'm afraid.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1491905751' post='3276291']
Quite, but, whatever the generation, there are those that appreciate 'speed-freaks' and those who prefer a more posed approach. I listen to John Mclaughlin, for instance, but don't think that the frenetic style translates well to bass at all. Hats off for the technical ability, but, to me, completely off the map, musically. Yes, I'm old, but wouldn't have liked this in the '60s or '70s, either (and there were those that tried..!). I would like to have a more dynamically balanced set, as uber-speed becomes tiring quite quickly. Not my taste at all, I'm afraid.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1491901325' post='3276209']
I think there is WAY more to it than just his bass playing, which is obviously part of his sound, but shouldn't be the complete focus. He is writing very unique music and singing at the same time, and I had heard of him and seen his record covers WAY before I knew he was a great bass player. Cool guy, cool groove, very unique and fresh.
[/quote]

This is why I like him, a guy creating something new with a 6 string semi-hollow Ibanez.

I get that it's not to everyone's taste but that the fun of music. It's similar to what older musicians did in the 70's experimenting with synths and new sounds for example I'm sure there are people here who can't stand Prog Rock? :lol: There will always be space for the Old School and classics, but it's good to have some new ideas to change it up

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1491856731' post='3275974']
[/quote]

He might look like a Jazz Guitarist, but he sure don't sound anything like a Jazz Guitarist.
Well not Wes.... :D
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D457b9QZ0RY[/media]

For me, he sometimes hits the mark very well. Other times, I find him messy.
Just too musically inconsistent for me (IMO, of course).

EDIT: Talking about 'Thundercat', not 'Wes'. :)

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491905088' post='3276279']Get comfortable with the fact that generations have their own interpretations of music[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1491905751' post='3276291']...[/quote]
[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1491910415' post='3276343']...[/quote]

There's some comedy in that chain of events :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1491905751' post='3276291']
[/quote]

Sure, and I agree, but it's a thread aimed directly at "Thundercat fans", saying 'i don't like it, the old guys are way better' is not really appropriate.
I hate metal with a passion, but I don't go through all the metal threads explaining to the metal guys why their music is not as good as mine. They have their music, I have mine, everyone's happy, that's that.

[size=4][quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491917846' post='3276450']...but it's a thread aimed directly at "Thundercat fans"...
[/quote][/size]

[size=4]I was replying, conversationally, to the remark that '...[/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]generations have their own interpretations of music....'; that's part of how forums work, by having subject evolve in many different directions. Still, if we're to be excluded from contribution, I'll keep quiet in here, now. Sorry for having woken anyone. :mellow:[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491917846' post='3276450']

Sure, and I agree, but it's a thread aimed directly at "Thundercat fans", saying 'i don't like it, the old guys are way better' is not really appropriate.
I hate metal with a passion, but I don't go through all the metal threads explaining to the metal guys why their music is not as good as mine. They have their music, I have mine, everyone's happy, that's that.
[/quote]

Again, show me where anyone has said the older guys are way better.

Blue