Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Ibanez SR500

kendall

Hi there. I got myself an Ibanez SR500 at Xmas. I've not put it down since. Really taken with this one. The only question I have, is how to clean/protect the body. I have googled and looked at the Ibanez site but drawn a blank.

Is there any product that is recommended for this type of body. It's mahogany body without a gloss-type finish.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Many thanks

Not got any ideas to help with cleaning, but once it is clean you can finish and protect the body with some simple beeswax.

Apply with a lint-free cloth, buff out. Repeat a few times and that should protect the wood from getting grimy and dull in the future. You can reapply wax whenever you want and there's no need to take off the strings or remove hardware etc.

Do as I did - scrape off all that horrid brown glop (which will take a whole 20 minutes) and Danish oil the body, so it looks a bit like this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Ibanez%20SR500/sr500refin01_zpsnkckqift.jpg.html"][/url]

Admittedly - mine was an £80 fixer-upper, and in a dreadful state when I got it.

Funny enough I cleaned a dirty sr500 last week.
For the body a damp cloth. Also a damp cloth works well on the neck, but on stubborn buildup its ok to use a small amount of lighter fluid or say methlated sprits.
After cleaning with any harsh fluids its best to give it a rub down on the bare woods of the neck with an natural oil I use boiled linseed. The above suggests also sound good.

Unfortunately nothing will stop the body finish coming away. Although you could lacquer the body or strip and stain it.

• 1 year later...
On 11/04/2017 at 17:24, Bassassin said:

Do as I did - scrape off all that horrid brown glop (which will take a whole 20 minutes) and Danish oil the body, so it looks a bit like this:

sr500refin01_zpsnkckqift.jpg&key=7dd7ea3951e948a2569c191b392ab965c7a3cb59b1e6b36e83c32c0fa026af32

Admittedly - mine was an £80 fixer-upper, and in a dreadful state when I got it.

@Bassassin what did you scrape the horrid brown gloop off with? I’m liking the look of that for my SR500 and SRC6.