Why become a member? ×

New jazz bass is too bright, suggestions?

AnAnInginAneAnA

Are you using pick or fingers? Moving your picking hand further towards the neck can reduce the brightness of the sound quite a bit. I have a couple of jazz basses, and use a pick, they sound quite mellow if you pick between the neck pickup and the end of the neck. I have strung both with flats since I had to start using a pick, that helped get rid of some of the brightness as well. It may take a combination of things to get the sound you are after. I'd always start off with free things, like technique, then work through the cheaper options, i.e. new strings, before splashing out on pick ups.

So many answers, thanks guys.

And in reply to the many questions;

[b]Different strings?:[/b] Already tried a couple sets as mentioned. No luck.

[b]First Jazz Bass?:[/b] Kinda yeah. I've had a few P/J basses before and even the neck solo'd on this jazz is much brighter than the J bridge solo'd on the P/J's. None of the other basses had a maple neck on a maple body though, so that's why I was wondering if the excess brightness is just because of the materials and could maybe be balanced out with a set of bassier voiced pickups.

[b]Maybe I don't like the Jazz Bass sound?: [/b]I've borrowed J Basses briefly before (and enjoyed them, which lead to me getting this one), and I've also used the J bridge pickup solo'd on my other basses to great effect. This particular bass seems to just have very little bottom end and quite a screechy upper end. Compared to my other basses it's kinda like comparing a telecaster to a les paul if you get my meaning.

[b]What amp am i playing through?: [/b]I've been mostly playing DI'd into GuitarRig5 and Amplitube3 at home (I live in a sh*tty little paper walled flat) and listening through a big set of headphones. I have tried it into an SVT4-pro when I was jamming with some friends last week and had it EQ'd with the bass freq's maxed and the upper mids and treble rolled way back, even the drummer commented that my bass sound was unusually weak. But again, I dunno how much of that could be because we're so used to the P-bass sound.

[b]Heard it in the mix?:[/b] I haven't heard it on a recording, but when jamming it sounded and felt pretty anaemic. It was kinda like I was stepping all over the guitarists "space" and muddying things up. It's hard to describe, but it definitely didn't work well in that band.

[b]Pick or fingers?: [/b]Both. Even playing with my fingers over the 19/20th fret, it was a kinda hollow feeling boomy bassiness I was getting and not a rounded usable tone.

[quote name='AnAnInginAneAnA' timestamp='1491832027' post='3275698']
So many answers, thanks guys.

And in reply to the many questions;

[b]What amp am i playing through?: [/b]I've been mostly playing DI'd into GuitarRig5 and Amplitube3 at home (I live in a sh*tty little paper walled flat) and listening through a big set of headphones. I have tried it into an SVT4-pro when I was jamming with some friends last week and had it EQ'd with the bass freq's maxed and the upper mids and treble rolled way back, even the drummer commented that my bass sound was unusually weak. But again, I dunno how much of that could be because we're so used to the P-bass sound.

[/quote]

Don't change a thing until you've gone and tried it though a proper amp.

Find a shop to go and try some amps, or find a BCer in your area who's open to having you come round and try your bass out. Until you do that you really don't know what you've got.

[quote name='AnAnInginAneAnA' timestamp='1491832027' post='3275698']
[b]Maybe I don't like the Jazz Bass sound?: [/b]I've borrowed J Basses briefly before (and enjoyed them, which lead to me getting this one)

[b]What amp am i playing through?: [/b]I've been mostly playing DI'd into GuitarRig5 and Amplitube3 at home (I live in a sh*tty little paper walled flat) and listening through a big set of headphones.
[/quote]
Jazz basses really can sound great (I have 2 stonkers), but the better ones sound. . . well. . better. Cheaper pickups will have fewer windings (less copper lowers the cost) which will reduce the bass frequencies, so until you've heard a good Jazz I wouldn't write off the J sound. You can easily change the sound of your bass but maybe a better bass, an American Standard, would be a good choice.

A good amp will fill a lot of the gaps in a "not so good" bass but a good amp will make a good bass sound even better.

Sounds like it might actually have something wrong with it rather than just having inherent jazz bass characteristics...

Also I know it's difficult with subjective descriptions of a bass sound but being too bright and lacking bottom end are two different things really. It sounds to me like you're suffering from the latter.

Anywhere near London? you'd be welcome to bring it round and I could give you a second opinion :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1491836021' post='3275739']
Jazz basses really can sound great (I have 2 stonkers), but the better ones sound. . . well. . better. Cheaper pickups will have fewer windings (less copper lowers the cost) which will reduce the bass frequencies, so until you've heard a good Jazz I wouldn't write off the J sound. You can easily change the sound of your bass but maybe a better bass, an American Standard, would be a good choice.

A good amp will fill a lot of the gaps in a "not so good" bass but a good amp will make a good bass sound even better.
[/quote]

Good points. If he's short of cash, then changing pups to correct the problems of a poor amp is the equivalent of "chasing rainbows", except changing pups would get expensive.

Definitely try it through a good amp first of all. Then I'd say change the strings next, before you get out your soldering iron....
I had a Squier VM series P/J Precision, and the stock pickups in that were pretty good. It definitely had a good range of tonal options, and wasn't overly bright...

Another option for you might be to try a DI / EQ pedal. You can shape the tone of your bass and boost bass, mids, or treble. You don't have to solder anything, and moreover, if you decide to flog the bass - you still have the pedal! I was lucky, and picked one of these up for a tenner, on a local facebook buy / sell / exchange group - then I upgraded to a higher spec model. This one is still pretty damn good though
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-BDI-21-Bass-Amp-Modeler-DI-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-/322326985735?hash=item4b0c2f7c07:g:Qv8AAOSwImRYI54-"]http://www.ebay.co.u...v8AAOSwImRYI54-[/url]

There's definitely something to be said for upgrading pickups, of course - but when you do this on a Squier, a copy, or entry - mid range instrument, you probably won't get your money back if / when you decide to sell...

EDIT: I'm with you on the P/J pickup arrangement though - definitely my preference these days....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1491838891' post='3275771']
EQ pedal is a good idea.

Loads out there but a good cheap one often overlook is the Hartke VXL

You can find it second hand for £40 and for what it does it's a steal
[/quote]

Good thoughts, and please excuse my ignorance, but if [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GuitarRig5 and Amplitube3 are unable to handle the bass frequencies will boosting the bass with an EQ do anything constructive? After all, isn't GuitarRig5 more suited to guitar than bass? [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The vid doesn't mention bass.[/font][/color]

http://youtu.be/bWXjRj3AUWg

What might be better is a Scarlet 2i2 and a good set of headphones.

I've got the same VM70s bass. I've modded mine a bit, but even with the stock pickups it was easy to get what I think of as a classic Jazz tone.

I swapped out the original electrics for a K1agon loom and put in some Aguilar 70s Jazz pickups on mine and it now sounds fantastic.

I wonder if there might be a fault with the electrics on yours?

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1491823873' post='3275584']
My vote is a new set of pickups , these will make the most difference in my opinion , maybe some Dimarzio Model J's , also a series/parallel switch would be a good thing to add
[/quote] come to think of it , model j are split coil in a jazz bass shape pickup so i would be amazed if those pickups wired in series were still too bright

I had the same issues with an american standard/california jazz a while back, stunning bass but just to toppy for me. I tried model J pick ups to darken it, but it didnt really help. A few people suggested flatwounds to calm it down, but i sold the bass on. I now have a limelight jazz that has flatwounds and a hayman 4040 that has them on. For the sake of £22 for a set of fender flatwounds its worth a go.

To the OP - is it the natural one they demo here at 5.26? If so, does yours sound like this? They compare a whole bunch.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mo1tY-abAg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=6Mo1tY-abAg[/url]

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1491829931' post='3275681']
What value are the pots? If they're 500k or 1M, changing them to 250k will mellow things a little. A larger value tone capacitor could help too. This should be cheaper than changing pickups.
[/quote]

This was my first reaction too. I had an early Natural VM '70s Jazz which had 500k pots, and it sounded distinctly brighter and "twangier" than my Classic Vibe '60s Jazz with 250k pots.

Yep, the service diagram shows these have 500k pots on both volume and tone. Changing these to 250k - which is standard Fender spec - will really help mellow this, and be as said, much cheaper than a change of pickups. A trip to a luthier, or a message to Kiogon for one of his wiring looms and adios twang.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1491837305' post='3275758']
Are the pickups out of phase? That'll cause a Jazz to sound weak and trebly.
[/quote]
[quote name='AnAnInginAneAnA' timestamp='1491795969' post='3275381']
Hey guys. So a few months ago I picked up a new (to me) Squier Jazz Bass 70's natural in a trade, and even with the bridge pickup off and the tone control rolled off it's just way too bright and lacking low end for my liking. However since I absolutely love the feel of the neck, the the body shape, and the overall weight of it so much, I'm not quite ready to give up on it just yet. I've already tried flatwounds on it (which I didn't really like), and pure nickel strings, neither of which had that much of an efffect.

Possible options I'm thinking of are new bridge, new pickups, or even modifying it to a P/J configuration like my other basses.

I was just wondering if anybody here had this problem with this bass before? And, if so, were you successfully able to modify it to give it a more rounded or bassier sound?
[/quote]

Have a fiddle with the wiring. Pickups that are out of phase with one another will sound as you describe.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1492123537' post='3278202']
Have a fiddle with the wiring. Pickups that are out of phase with one another will sound as you describe.
[/quote]

Was just going to say this.

Does it sound the same with each individual pickups, or with both on together? The sound of a jazz with both on together flat out is a very different sound, lacking middle.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1491801461' post='3275385']
You could also put a cap on an individual volume control to roll off more treble the more open the control is.
[/quote]

That does the opposite - the treble bypass capacitor allows more treble to get through when the volume is turned down to compensate for the greater loss of treble when a volume is reduced.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1492123537' post='3278202']
[/quote]

The OP mentions it happens also with just one pickup (neck pickup alone, tone rolled off, still too trebly), so that rules the out of phase effect.