Why become a member? ×

New jazz bass is too bright, suggestions?

AnAnInginAneAnA

Hey guys. So a few months ago I picked up a new (to me) Squier Jazz Bass 70's natural in a trade, and even with the bridge pickup off and the tone control rolled off it's just way too bright and lacking low end for my liking. However since I absolutely love the feel of the neck, the the body shape, and the overall weight of it so much, I'm not quite ready to give up on it just yet. I've already tried flatwounds on it (which I didn't really like), and pure nickel strings, neither of which had that much of an efffect.

Possible options I'm thinking of are new bridge, new pickups, or even modifying it to a P/J configuration like my other basses.

I was just wondering if anybody here had this problem with this bass before? And, if so, were you successfully able to modify it to give it a more rounded or bassier sound?

It might also be worth changing the tone control's capacitor. It's not something I know too much about but it can affect the overall tone.

You could also put a cap on an individual volume control to roll off more treble the more open the control is.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Less expensive instruments will always use less expensive parts and replacing the pickups and pots is where you can do the most good with upgrades. Do this in stages then you can evaluate each upgrade in turn. You can easily double the money spent on a bass so be careful. I'd start with a new wiring loom and pots. My choice would be to stay with passive and the JJ config.

There's someone on here who will make one up for you. Does a good job by all accounts. I can't remember his name but I'm sure someone else can help.

After that, if needed, replace the pickups. The latest Fender PU's get good reviews and the Fralin, Nordstrand and Duncans would be a huge bonus to your sound.

Changing the pickups will probably have the biggest impact. Some pickups are voiced with way too much treble and high mids, even on PJ's and P's sometimes.

And then you have to also deal with the stupid amounts of treble on most amps as well. I will never understand why bass equipment has to have so much treble on tap, I spend way too much of my bass-playing time fighting against 'crisp highs' (= nails on chalkboard) and 'punchy high-mids' (= annoying nasal honk) in various rehearsal rooms.

Pickups def before anything else. Capacitor after that maybe but new pups should really make the difference that is needed. I had a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack in the J position of my Aerodyne and it really beefed up the sound. Herrick pickups also have a lot of oomph - though I`ve only experience of their Precision pickups to go by here.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1491815068' post='3275479']
Quite surprised no one has mentioned strings yet.
Do you have rounds or flats on there? Flats would make it less bright
[/quote]

This.

Although if you want to play about with the capacitor on the tone knob then I think the standard is a 0.047µf and a 250kΩ pot. If you swap it for a .1µf then you'll drop the cut off frequency.

As a rule of thumb, larger capacitor values send more of the treble to ground (making it disappear from the output signal). Have a play about.

It's a much cheaper option to buying a set of flats - capacitors can be had for pence.

+1 for changing strings here. It's the easiest option for someone who's not confident with a soldering iron.

What sort of strings do you usually use? IME, if you're used to (for example) Rotosound Swing Bass 45s, a set of D'Addario 40s would scare the pants off you with snarly top end...

Gary is also spot on with asking what you're running through. If the sound of your gigging rig is designed for your other bass, you may need to adjust your tone controls.

I think what we're saying here is 'lots of options available!'

Edited by Tonteee

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1491815068' post='3275479']
Quite surprised no one has mentioned strings yet.
Do you have rounds or flats on there? Flats would make it less bright
[/quote]
The original poster did, in his original post

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]I've already tried flatwounds on it (which I didn't really like), and pure nickel strings, neither of which had that much of an efffect[/i]."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]there will be a test later, lollipops for those who score high :D[/font][/color]

Edited by Geek99

How does it sit in the mix though? Jazz basses are the choice of many players because of how they sound in context of other instruments. Its some of those tones that on their own sound too bright but perfect when the whole band is playing.

As well as the changing PU option, you could try an external pre-amp. Like a Sadowsky for example. If its comfortable to play for you , that's half the battle so worth pursuing.

But a jazz isn't for everyone. Whilst personally I love it, there have been lots of debates here, with intelligent arguments, on the for and against so it might just be the jazz tone isn't your thing.

Strings will make a difference up to a point but they won't alter the overall voice of the bass as much as the pickups in my experience. If your pickups have a high-mid bump, that nasal tone will still be there regardless of strings. I've just recently gone through this with a PJ that had way too much treble and high-mids for my taste and replacing the P pickup has made a huge difference and completely fixed the problem.

Edited by project_c

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1491809298' post='3275425']
Changing the pickups will probably have the biggest impact. Some pickups are voiced with way too much treble and high mids, even on PJ's and P's sometimes.

And then you have to also deal with the stupid amounts of treble on most amps as well. I will never understand why bass equipment has to have so much treble on tap, I spend way too much of my bass-playing time fighting against 'crisp highs' (= nails on chalkboard) and 'punchy high-mids' (= annoying nasal honk) in various rehearsal rooms.
[/quote]
I always find that most amps have the midrange voiced too aggressively, always seem to spend a lot of time trying to dial out the mids on most amps

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1491820454' post='3275552']
The original poster did, in his original post
[/quote]

Oops. 🤐

Adapt to the new sound? Perhaps this is a quick reaction to the difference.

OP, are you able to record how you sound in a band context? You might be surprised at how it sounds.

Edited by Tonteee