Why become a member? ×

Dupuytren's Contracture - seeking advice from sufferers.

TorturedSaints

Hi there,

My GP recently told me that the thickening in the palm of my (fretting) hand between ring and little finger was the start of Dupuytren's Contracture. As my hand is still able to sit flat on a table, there's no treatment advised at this stage. There's lots of stuff on it on the internet, but little on how it impacts playing the bass. I don't have any problem fretting one finger per fret at the moment (apart from the fact that my hands are relatively small), so would a change to short scale basses help in the long term, or would it be better to start learning to play without the use of my little finger?

If anybody suffers from it and would like to give any insight on how long I am likely to be able to continue to play bass for, or whether the operation to 'cure' it affects bass playing (if/when it gets to that stage), that would be appreciated. PMs are welcome if you would prefer privacy. (Background info: average amateur bass player, 50s).

regards

Ralph

I had an operation to remove a Dupuytren's Contracture from my left hand when I was 27. I have another one appeared on the same hand about ten years ago but it hasn't grown larger & has not caused any problems. I can still put my hand flat with no problems & I'm 52 now so I can't see it giving me any problems in the future.

• Like 1

That Easton hand link is not band actually.

I am medical and have been involved with treatment.

Generally surgical options are not considered until the first knuckle is bent at about 20 degrees and unable to be straightened.
This being bent is not too much of an issue playing as it has to be bent anyway holding the neck, if it gets past this then absolutely something needs to be done.

If you disease is located to the palm only, then that is what will happen and in a lot of ways more easily rectifiable and more treatment options.

If it goes past this and onto the finger that is when it can pull it down and stays flexed into the palm and if left too long is a more serious operation.

Keep trying to stretch it out, simple things like always pushing your hand flat onto the table or a book on your lap while watching telly.
Ultimately it just depends how quickly your disease progresses as to what happens, sometimes it can lay dormant for a long time and then accelerate , but monitoring and a prompt referral are corner stones and if you have an operation after, hand physiology.

PM me if you want, and let me know what area in the country you are, I will see if I know who is good to go to if you need to

Cheers

• Like 2

Here's a close up of the Dupuytrens in my left hand. The elongated S shaped scar to the left of it is from the surgery I had to remove the original one.

[url="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/IMG_0632_zpsrongucel.jpg.html"][/url]

Medical advice these days seems to be leave it alone if it's not causing any problems. When I had mine removed they weren't actually sure what it was because I was supposedly too young to have a Dupuytrens Contracture. It was the surgery that confirmed it.

I don't know if you've been told this but apparently having a Dupuytrens is a sign of having Viking ancestry. When I asked my GP about my latest one he said he'd write me a prescription for a helmet with horns on it. :D

Edited by RhysP

Ha!
Vikings are implicated amongst other things (link becoming more tenuous), but there is no way you are getting Lagertha as you shield maiden, she's all mine!

Definitely a disease of the west though, you do not see it in East Asians

Looks like you had a limited fasciectomy.

Keep an eye on it, if you get it young it can be a sign that it could be more aggressive disease, hence earlier intervention

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1491838659' post='3275768']
Ha!
Vikings are implicated amongst other things (link becoming more tenuous), but there is no way you are getting Lagertha as you shield maiden, she's all mine!

Definitely a disease of the west though, you do not see it in East Asians

Looks like you had a limited fasciectomy.

Keep an eye on it, if you get it young it can be a sign that it could be more aggressive disease, hence earlier intervention
[/quote]

:D

I do keep an eye on it, and have made a point of gently stretching my fingers since I was able to after the operation.
I had it done at 27 & I'm 52 now. I've had no problems whatsoever since so I'm hoping things will stay that way.

As I say, when they operated on it they really weren't sure it was Dupuytren's because of my age. It wasn't pulling my fingers at all but I did have a very pronounced lump in my palm. Before they operated they were fairly certain that it was an impaction dermoid.
The doctor who thought it was Dupuytren's was very happy, he won the doctors diagnosis sweepstake. :D

[attachment=242823:P1020572.JPG]

I've had Dupuytren's for a number of years now, and touch wood it doesn't seem to be
getting much worse. Interesting facts in this thread, and the condition is prevalent in
string players generally as well as bassists apparently. Mine looks worse than it is!
Been told as in previous posts that no action will be taken until the fingers start to
curl under, so am just hoping I can continue playing with no problems.

Bill Nighy is a famous sufferer of this condition, and often poses for photos so as
to hide his hands from showing it.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1491929343' post='3276585']
[attachment=242823:P1020572.JPG]

I've had Dupuytren's for a number of years now, and touch wood it doesn't seem to be
getting much worse. Interesting facts in this thread, and the condition is prevalent in
string players generally as well as bassists apparently. Mine looks worse than it is!
Been told as in previous posts that no action will be taken until the fingers start to
curl under, so am just hoping I can continue playing with no problems.

Bill Nighy is a famous sufferer of this condition, and often poses for photos so as
to hide his hands from showing it.
[/quote]

That makes mine look a bit piss poor by comparison. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi. Resurrecting this old post out of curiosity as to whether the contributors condition has deteriorated or improved or remains unchanged. My own disease seems to have suddenly worsened over the last month. Private surgical intervention is going to cost a bawhair short of £3000 so not something to be undertaken lightly! There Is also some kind of collagen injections which are available privately? The question from a playing perspective is whether to act now or wait? It may stabilise and the expense wasted or there may be a more positive outcome with early intervention. Gonna go see a consultant anyway.

I am finally starting to get playing projects off the ground so this comes as an inconvenience to say the least but of course many people live with much worse in their lives.

8 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

Hi. Resurrecting this old post out of curiosity as to whether the contributors condition has deteriorated or improved or remains unchanged. My own disease seems to have suddenly worsened over the last month. Private surgical intervention is going to cost a bawhair short of £3000 so not something to be undertaken lightly! There Is also some kind of collagen injections which are available privately? The question from a playing perspective is whether to act now or wait? It may stabilise and the expense wasted or there may be a more positive outcome with early intervention. Gonna go see a consultant anyway.

I am finally starting to get playing projects off the ground so this comes as an inconvenience to say the least but of course many people live with much worse in their lives.

That’s a real bummer, sorry it is developing so quickly for you.

Mine is still fairly stable, a little worse than a couple of years ago perhaps but nothing that is threatening my livelihood at the moment. I’m just hoping that it doesn’t progress enough to curtail my work for any length of time before I decide to retire, (although the way things are looking I haven’t a clue when that’s going to be!)

Really hope you manage to find a solution you can deal with that is suitable both practically and.financially.

All the best, Pete.

On 31/03/2019 at 10:07, lowlandtrees said:

Sorry to hear that yours has got worse so quickly.  I was the OP and was feeling a bit worried about it when I posted.  Thankfully mine hasn't progressed at all and is still just a thickening in the palm of the hand, which isn't causing any problems for the moment.  Other than sending good wishes, I can't add much to the discussion.  

I think (unless I am mixing conditions) that TMS host Jonathan Agnew suffers from this. He tweeted lots of advice taken from links and his own thoughts a few years ago.

I did have some random tightenings in one finger of my left hand last year - it would be stiff on waking, and then slowly fade in the morning. I'm 42 now, so things are falling apart/seizing up - but I don't think it's the above condition.

Bawhair? You're Scottish? NHS Scotland not sort you out? 

36 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Bawhair? You're Scottish? NHS Scotland not sort you out? 

I have a friend who waited two years. Both her pinkies had completely contracted. They did one (general anesthetic) then she had to go back on the waiting list for the second. Mine is not as bad but since it is not life threatening you wait a while. I sort of agree with this...it’s not the worst thing to happen to man....unless your a musician!

I had an operation twelve months ago to straighten out the left pinkie. I had a bad reaction to the operation itself. Instead of the "normal" physiotherapy recovery time of around eight weeks, I was still doing therapy exercises eight months later. That would be fine if it had been a success, but in my case it was not.  My pinkie has returned to bend at a ninety degree angle and the whole hand is still a bit stiff. I can still play bass fairly OK...about the same as before the operation. So...a waste of time and a LOT of effort on my part.

My consultant told me that around fifteen percent of his patients have the same reaction as I did. 

The question from a playing perspective is whether to act now or wait? It may stabilise and the expense wasted or there may be a more positive outcome with early intervention. Gonna go see a consultant anyway.

If there is one thing I have learned about DC it is that no two people have the same experience after an operation,  even if their initial problems seem the same.

Having said that, the general opinion is that the longer you delay treatment the more intrusive the operation (if one is recommended) will be. 

Yes...do see a consultant and get an opinion ASAP.

Best of luck in whatever you decide on. 😊